A "look back" at a trade "Brendan Dillon" for 2 x 2nd rounders

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
The Washington Capitals used the two second-round draft picks they acquired from the Winnipeg Jets in the Brendan Dillon trade in the following ways:
  1. 2022 Second-Round Pick (46st Overall): The Capitals traded this pick to the New Jersey Devils in a draft-day deal. In return, they acquired two third-round picks (No. 70 and No. 85 overall) in the 2022 NHL Draft. They then used those picks to select:
    • Alexander Suzdalev (No. 70 overall), a left-winger from Sweden.
    • Ryan Hofer (No. 181 overall, as the Capitals traded down with the New York Rangers after moving the No. 85 pick), a center from the WHL.
  2. 2023 Second-Round Pick (No. 49 Overall): The Capitals kept and used this pick in the 2023 NHL Draft to select Andrew Cristall, a highly regarded left-winger from the WHL.
These moves show that the Capitals used the assets from the Dillon trade to acquire and develop young talent for their prospect pool.

With the 46th pick in 2022 the NJD's picked Seamus Casey.

Last edited:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Typically in the 2rd round, yes.

I have never see the term "Fourty-Sixst" used before...

Also, I feel like OP is ignoring the fact that we got 238 regular season games + 63 points from Dillon, as well as 8 playoff games + 4 points.

Seems like 2x 2nd rounders well spent if you ask me. Let's look back at this trade in 5 years when we can actually assess what types of players the Caps drafted w/ those picks.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Would have kept Dillon and moved on from Stan/Iafallo

Casey could be good - too bad he's blocked by Kovacevic now :)
Worth it. We will miss him. A lot.
Let's watch his play for the next couple of seasons and revisit these sentiments

He'll fall off a cliff in a heartbeat when his mobility declines, which it inevitably will (unless he has some sort of Chelios genetics)

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I have never see the term "Fourty-Sixst" used before...

Also, I feel like OP is ignoring the fact that we got 238 regular season games + 63 points from Dillon, as well as 8 playoff games + 4 points.

Seems like 2x 2nd rounders well spent if you ask me. Let's look back at this trade in 5 years when we can actually assess what types of players the Caps drafted w/ those picks.
And the Jets have proven they can’t just go into free agency and grab a guy like this. They just don’t come to the Jets and they definitely don’t come to the Jets at under $4m. Kulikov cost the Jets $4.33m in 2017 in 2017, gross.

Reactions: Buffdog

Dirtbag151

Feb 6, 2021
46st overall?????
Screenshot 2024-10-09 125515.png

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
And the Jets have proven they can’t just go into free agency and grab a guy like this. They just don’t come to the Jets and they definitely don’t come to the Jets at under $4m. Kulikov cost the Jets $4.33m in 2017 in 2017, gross.

True; however, is the point of this to analyze whether the assets we spent to get Dillon were worth it, or whether we should have tried to keep Dillon?

I loved Dillon on the team. We have a pretty big jam on the left side, though.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
True; however, is the point of this to analyze whether the assets we spent to get Dillon were worth it, or whether we should have tried to keep Dillon?

It’s a jam of tweeners. Stanley, Heinola, Fleury…..these guys are far below Dillon. Dillon wasn’t part of the jam.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Let's watch his play for the next couple of seasons and revisit these sentiments

He'll fall off a cliff in a heartbeat when his mobility declines, which it inevitably will (unless he has some sort of Chelios genetics)
Yeah but then you buy him out for the last year...

My main concern is that we are planning to extend pionk now...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I liked Dillon but if the organization believes Heinola is part of the future they needed to open up a spot. Dillion is now 34 and likely sees a gradual fall off. Too bad Villie has had so many injury problems or maybe he has cemented the 3rd LHD spot at a $800,000 cap hit and this is a non issue.

In terms of the original value of the Dillion trade. 2 2nd round picks is probably fair value for 3 years and 238 games of a top 4 defenceman at a nice cap hit of $3.9 M. Especially considering how decimated are D was at the time of the trade.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
It’s a jam of tweeners. Stanley, Heinola, Fleury…..these guys are far below Dillon. Dillon wasn’t part of the jam.

Heinola needs waivers this year and could be a dynamic player for us. I would say he was ready to make the team before injury. Samberg is looking better every season. You're not displacing JoMo, something had to give.

Dillon will likely start to decline and our young D will keep improving.

It is what it is. I'd rather have someone to replace Pionk or Miller, and Dillon wasn't doing that either.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
Washington traded the pick to Seattle, they picked Carson Rehkopf. Washington took Cristall with their own pick.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I liked Dillon but if the organization believes Heinola is part of the future they needed to open up a spot. Dillion is now 34 and likely sees a gradual fall off. Too bad Villie has had so many injury problems or maybe he has cemented the 3rd LHD spot at a $800,000 cap hit and this is a non issue.

Keeping Dillon while moving Pionk could have been an option.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Then you are forcing Heinola to the right side. Also Pionk still has a year left at $5.9 M. You’d have to pay to move that contract.
Could have worked by just letting Stan walk and trading Iafallo with maybe 1-2m retained if necessary...

Next year would have been okay with Wheeler coming off the books but again there are a lot of guys ready for raises - like I hope we don't bridge Samberg.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Could have worked by just letting Stan walk and trading Iafallo with maybe 1-2m retained if necessary...

Next year would have been okay with Wheeler coming off the books but again there are a lot of guys ready for raises - like I hope we don't bridge Samberg.
Do you really want to move Heinola to the right? Because that would have had to happen if we re-signed Dillon. Couldn’t let Stanley walk as he is under contract this year. We are conservative enough as an organization as it is but if we don’t even give opportunities to first round picks coming off their ELCs it will be near impossible for any prospects to break into the lineup.

And the big log’s name is Logan Stanley.
Not really. Ideally Stanley is your #4 LHD as he was last season. Once Villie is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad