A "look back" at a trade "Brendan Dillon" for 2 x 2nd rounders

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
The Washington Capitals used the two second-round draft picks they acquired from the Winnipeg Jets in the Brendan Dillon trade in the following ways:
  1. 2022 Second-Round Pick (46st Overall): The Capitals traded this pick to the New Jersey Devils in a draft-day deal. In return, they acquired two third-round picks (No. 70 and No. 85 overall) in the 2022 NHL Draft. They then used those picks to select:
    • Alexander Suzdalev (No. 70 overall), a left-winger from Sweden.
    • Ryan Hofer (No. 181 overall, as the Capitals traded down with the New York Rangers after moving the No. 85 pick), a center from the WHL.
  2. 2023 Second-Round Pick (No. 49 Overall): The Capitals kept and used this pick in the 2023 NHL Draft to select Andrew Cristall, a highly regarded left-winger from the WHL.
These moves show that the Capitals used the assets from the Dillon trade to acquire and develop young talent for their prospect pool.

With the 46th pick in 2022 the NJD's picked Seamus Casey.

Last edited:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Typically in the 2rd round, yes.

I have never see the term "Fourty-Sixst" used before...

Also, I feel like OP is ignoring the fact that we got 238 regular season games + 63 points from Dillon, as well as 8 playoff games + 4 points.

Seems like 2x 2nd rounders well spent if you ask me. Let's look back at this trade in 5 years when we can actually assess what types of players the Caps drafted w/ those picks.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Would have kept Dillon and moved on from Stan/Iafallo

Casey could be good - too bad he's blocked by Kovacevic now :)
Worth it. We will miss him. A lot.
Let's watch his play for the next couple of seasons and revisit these sentiments

He'll fall off a cliff in a heartbeat when his mobility declines, which it inevitably will (unless he has some sort of Chelios genetics)

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I have never see the term "Fourty-Sixst" used before...

Also, I feel like OP is ignoring the fact that we got 238 regular season games + 63 points from Dillon, as well as 8 playoff games + 4 points.

Seems like 2x 2nd rounders well spent if you ask me. Let's look back at this trade in 5 years when we can actually assess what types of players the Caps drafted w/ those picks.
And the Jets have proven they can’t just go into free agency and grab a guy like this. They just don’t come to the Jets and they definitely don’t come to the Jets at under $4m. Kulikov cost the Jets $4.33m in 2017 in 2017, gross.

Reactions: Buffdog

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pionk needed that steady partner in Dillon to counter the chaos. I don't know if Samberg's got the right stuff...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad