Value of: A Kapanen type of winger to Pittsburgh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I wonder if Pittsburg might be one of the rare good fits for Anderson. He'd contribute now and his longer contract would mean he ends up being filler once Pittsburgh's stars are gone.

Short of convincing Carter to waive for Montreal, how do you make that money work though?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I suppose the Pens could use a Kapanen-type winger. They could also use a Jared McCann type winger, perhaps a Daniel Sprong type; hell, they could even use a Tanner Pearson type. These names seem familiar for some reason....

They don't have the money for any of those guys outside of Sprong, and Sprong's not really what I have in mind for the role. McCann is another guy who really fits what I'm looking for, but there's a reason he makes $5 million a year at this point. Even had Hextall not thrown him away for nothing, they still wouldn't have been able to keep him.

The OP more or less implies exactly that. Someone who can generate goals off the third line (without powerplay time or a lot of high-end offensive help). Which is something that Poolparty has literally never in his career demonstrated that he is capable of doing.

Whereas Kapanen is absolutely a high bar in that regard. He's quietly a bit of an even strength scoring beast. He's good for a solid ~15G every year from 3rd line minutes. It's when he gets pushed up to the Top-6 that he irritates the heck out of everyone because he's not good at that and doesn't mesh very well with creative, high skill players. He doesn't really get any "better" or "more productive" there. But when he's on a 3rd line where he belongs, he's a darn good scoring winger.

Yeah the Penguins already have a guy who fills Puljujarvi's role with Zohorna. I think Puljujarvi is a really useful player as a possession driver on a 3rd line, but the Penguins just happen to have that role filled already. They need someone who can score goals just from their own sniping talent.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They don't have the money for any of those guys outside of Sprong, and Sprong's not really what I have in mind for the role. McCann is another guy who really fits what I'm looking for, but there's a reason he makes $5 million a year at this point. Even had Hextall not thrown him away for nothing, they still wouldn't have been able to keep him.

Yeah the Penguins already have a guy who fills Puljujarvi's role with Zohorna. I think Puljujarvi is a really useful player as a possession driver on a 3rd line, but the Penguins just happen to have that role filled already. They need someone who can score goals just from their own sniping talent.

Heh...bring back Brandon Sutter! He's available!

He used to fit the bill for that, more or less. Always good for his ~15G no matter what role you put him in. No more, no less. Just creating goals out of thin air off broken plays and odd man rushes.

He looked pretty thoroughly cooked in his PTO with Edmonton in the preseason though.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
The Penguins have generally had good results out of their bottom-6 this year, but something that's really lacking from that group is a goal scorer for the 3rd line. When I was trying to think of what that 3rd liner needs, the description I came up with is literally just Kasperi Kapanen: a speedy goal scorer who can survive in a defensive leaning 2-way role. Now the Penguins can't afford to bring back Kapanen, nor would I imagine he want to come back, but the general player type is something the Penguins really need.

What kind of wingers like that could be available? I think someone like Kubalik fits the idea really well but I am unsure if the Senators would be looking to trade him.

Why don’t they just keep Kapanen when they have him, as they’ve already drafted him and traded for him.

Can they sign him next summer as a UFA?

Reactions: Gurglesons

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why don’t they just keep Kapanen when they have him, as they’ve already drafted him and traded for him.

Can they sign him next summer as a UFA?

:laugh:

It would be absolutely hilarious if the Penguins somehow managed to Draft, Trade For, and Sign as a UFA...the exact same player.

Has anyone ever actually managed that trifecta before?

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Victor Olofsson is your guy.
-3rd liner can play in top six
-scored almost 30 last year
-top line speed not elite but very fast

Half off! Call Kevyn Adams today!

Reactions: DJN21

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas can't trim around the edges here. He has to get the PP working and Sullivan has to use a better combo. To many cooks in the kitchen and need a net front presence. I always like Anderson from the Habs as a bigger RW who will go to the net far more than what the Pens have now. Pens can take on money the next few years and will have to move a winger for that to happen. Jake is the winger I move not to the Habs, but Nashville for Trenin and a pick. Move that pick to the Habs for Anderson. and maybe a prospect and Habs have to retain 500K per to make the money work. If not, then I live with Trenin and hope he jells with Malkin.
Smith Sid Anderson
Trenin Geno Rust
Doc Lars Rakell
Nieto white Acciari
Move POJ, for cap space.

Last edited:

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Empo….

in your mind, what type of value does Kappy?

Great 3rd liner for us currently, but if the Blues fall out of the race, we will likely deal him.

maybe a 2nd?

Or is that a reach?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Dubas can't trim around the edges here. He has to get the PP working and Sullivan has to use a better combo. To many cooks in the kitchen and need a net front presence. I always like Anderson from the Habs as a bigger RW who will go to the net far more than what the Pens have now. Pens can take on money the next few years and will have to move a winger for that to happen. Jake is the winger I move not to the Habs, but Nashville for Trenin and a pick. Move that pick to the Habs for Anderson. and maybe a prospect and Habs have to retain 500K per to make the money work. If not, then I live with Trenin and hope he jells with Malkin.
Smith Sid Anderson
Trenin Geno Rust
Doc Lars Rakell
Nieto white Acciari
Move POJ, for cap space.
I'm a huge Trenin homer but not sure you really wanna try and compete with him in your top 6...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad