Value of: A Kapanen type of winger to Pittsburgh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins have generally had good results out of their bottom-6 this year, but something that's really lacking from that group is a goal scorer for the 3rd line. When I was trying to think of what that 3rd liner needs, the description I came up with is literally just Kasperi Kapanen: a speedy goal scorer who can survive in a defensive leaning 2-way role. Now the Penguins can't afford to bring back Kapanen, nor would I imagine he want to come back, but the general player type is something the Penguins really need.

What kind of wingers like that could be available? I think someone like Kubalik fits the idea really well but I am unsure if the Senators would be looking to trade him.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The Penguins have generally had good results out of their bottom-6 this year, but something that's really lacking from that group is a goal scorer for the 3rd line. When I was trying to think of what that 3rd liner needs, the description I came up with is literally just Kasperi Kapanen: a speedy goal scorer who can survive in a defensive leaning 2-way role. Now the Penguins can't afford to bring back Kapanen, nor would I imagine he want to come back, but the general player type is something the Penguins really need.

What kind of wingers like that could be available? I think someone like Kubalik fits the idea really well but I am unsure if the Senators would be looking to trade him.
Ottawa would be really smart to dump Kubalik as soon as possible, so it is a good target.

Reactions: HabsQC

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ottawa would be really smart to dump Kubalik as soon as possible, so it is a good target.

Would Ottawa have any interest in Joseph? He's fallen out of favor in Pittsburgh as well.

It would have to be a 3-team deal, but something like this seems reasonable if Kubalik has fallen out of favor:

-Penguins get Kubalik at $900k
-Senators get Joseph, retains $800k on Kubalik
-Team C gets a 4th from Pittsburgh, retains $800k on Kubalik

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Don’t you have Alex nylander already?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Philly probably has that guy. But that's obviously complicated, for a few major reasons right now.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Would Ottawa have any interest in Joseph? He's fallen out of favor in Pittsburgh as well.

It would have to be a 3-team deal, but something like this seems reasonable if Kubalik has fallen out of favor:

-Penguins get Kubalik at $900k
-Senators get Joseph, retains $800k on Kubalik
-Team C gets a 4th from Pittsburgh, retains $800k on Kubalik
Deadline type of deal maybe

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Sounds like you need a Kasperi Kapanen. The Blues have just the player for you! For the low low price of a 2nd round pick, we can offer you a lightly used Kasperi Kapanen...act now!

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Pens should be trying to get Sean Farrell from the Habs farm. He has potential.
Not exactly fast either though and I'd think Montreal wants to marinate him for at least another year to boost his value. He and Roy have been really good together too there's a chance it works at the NHL level

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Josh Anderson

If he didn't have that big Joshy contract, i bet he'd actually be a real good fit for Pittsburgh. Though with Sullivan in charge, he'd inevitably end up in the Top-6 that's working, displacing someone else and absolutely maddening the crap out of Pens fans. :laugh:

But with that cap hit, it's hard to see a way to make that work for Pittsburgh.

He's not nearly Kapanen fast but if Montreal decides he's not in their future plans Ylonen could probably be had

Yeah. Ylonen sounds a lot more like a Dubas acquisition to me.

Just sign Puljujarvi when he gets healthy.

:laugh:

When was Puljujarvi ever capable of holding his own, driving play, and scoring without help from McDavey and Draisaitl in the bottom-6?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Pretty much the exact player I had in mind, but can't make the money work.

He's not nearly Kapanen fast but if Montreal decides he's not in their future plans Ylonen could probably be had

I think that's a really good suggestion. The speed thing is probably the least concern for that part, the Penguins 3rd line currently has Zohorna and Eller on it and neither of them are speedsters.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:laugh:

When was Puljujarvi ever capable of holding his own, driving play, and scoring without help from McDavey and Draisaitl in the bottom-6?
Who said anything about driving the play? Kapanen isn't exactly a high bar and Puljujarvi would be free and close to a league minimum salary.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think that's a really good suggestion. The speed thing is probably the least concern for that part, the Penguins 3rd line currently has Zohorna and Eller on it and neither of them are speedsters.
I think he has potential to hit a new gear a la Lehkonen but he's not really getting the chances in Montreal and is likely getting leapfrogged by all of Roy, Farrell, Mesar, Beck and Heineman in the next year or two. Sort of depends who else gets moved up front though

Reactions: Empoleon8771

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty much the exact player I had in mind, but can't make the money work.

Yeah. Garland is exactly the sort of guy you want to stash on your 3rd line to drive play and create 5v5 offense by himself there. But i really just don't see any workable solution to the money problem with two teams so tight to the cap. Even with a 3rd party intermediary...it's tough to see an avenue that works.

Plus, with the start Vancouver has gotten off to...i don't know that they'd want to be just dumping Garland anymore for cap flexibility, subtracting from the roster...without adding something else back that helps them more. Which just adds another layer of complexity which makes the deal pretty much impossible to put together.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Eric Robinson is free for the taking.

I know he never had Kapanen's pedigree but he scores just as many goals as Kapanen, is just as blazing fast, and not as dumb.

I imagine the Jackets would retain for a pick and be happy to trim down their roster.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who said anything about driving the play? Kapanen isn't exactly a high bar and Puljujarvi would be free and close to a league minimum salary.

The OP more or less implies exactly that. Someone who can generate goals off the third line (without powerplay time or a lot of high-end offensive help). Which is something that Poolparty has literally never in his career demonstrated that he is capable of doing.

Whereas Kapanen is absolutely a high bar in that regard. He's quietly a bit of an even strength scoring beast. He's good for a solid ~15G every year from 3rd line minutes. It's when he gets pushed up to the Top-6 that he irritates the heck out of everyone because he's not good at that and doesn't mesh very well with creative, high skill players. He doesn't really get any "better" or "more productive" there. But when he's on a 3rd line where he belongs, he's a darn good scoring winger.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if Pittsburg might be one of the rare good fits for Anderson. He'd contribute now and his longer contract would mean he ends up being filler once Pittsburgh's stars are gone.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The Kings reclaimed Samuel Fagemo and he’s been tearing it up in the AHL.. he has no future on the Kings and would be a good option for the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad