Post-Game Talk: A convincing loss

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Just got in from the Suns v Raptors game. Raptors were close until the last few minutes. They hung around.

Sometimes bad teams step up, if you know what I mean. Glad I missed this game.

Also happy I didn’t miss the Brown goal that is forecasted every game…that never happens.;)

Reactions: nexttothemoon

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
objectively better coaching and team systems. You watch breakdowns of how these guys move and distribute in the o zone. Constantly swinging and rotating with each other up to to trick defenses and create lanes. It looks like we have no actual system when we get in the zone.

Oh, and a little someone named hughes. The closest offensive dman we have is Bouch, but he really only has a great shot. We get zero offense from our blueline because we have zero mobility and ability to beat someone up top. It leads to the forwards needing to do everything and us just playing with the puck in the corners with no real options to do anything.

Until we actually get some mobility and skill on the blueline, we will never take that next step
I think they will get a top 6 player like a Toffoli and call it a day

They just got Soucy back who loos great and they are like 20-1 with him in the lineup.....

They are getting their 3rd line lynchpin back. The Big Dakota joshua. That 3rd line looked liek the best in the NHL when they were together.

I lose faith in EDM because they have way too many players who can not commit to a system. I have no idea from game to game which team will show up.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think they will get a top 6 player like a Toffoli and call it a day

They just got Soucy back who loos great and they are like 20-1 with him in the lineup.....

They are getting their 3rd line lynchpin back. The Big Dakota joshua. That 3rd line looked liek the best in the NHL when they were together.

I lose faith in EDM because they have way too many players who can not commit to a system. I have no idea from game to game which team will show up.
We should be happy if they add a Toffolli type

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Weird game, but ultimately meaningless. I find it hard to muster up disappointment. Don't really care about the result.

McDavid has been losing control of the puck far too often this season in the offensive zone. It's like he's hesitating too much with control of the puck. Last year, there was no hesitation.

I've noticed that Bouchard's horribad games (like this one) are usually on the road, in the central or eastern time zones, and are often vs. unimportant / nothing teams. It's like if the rest of the team is not super "up" for a big game, Bouchard just checks out mentally.

After a few really good games while paired, Nurse-Desharnais did not look in sync tonight.

Anyway, this is one of those games where the team clearly had an emotional let-down after Boston, and there was also the awkwardness of new guys in the line-up. Speaking of that, I'm a little concerned about Derek Ryan's roster spot. Will he survive? To my eyes, he hasn't been nearly as effective this season as the past two seasons.

Too early to judge the new guys, obviously. Carrick's not likely to really crack the line-up, is he?

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
easy money tonight. 400 on Bjs @ 3.20

Oilers aint going anywhere this year

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Team looked drunk in the highlights, and that seems to be the opinion of people who watched the game too.
  • First goal was Janmark losing a board battle, Vinny losing a footrace, forcing Nurse to jump in; and then Oliver doing a good job to find the soft spot in the slot. I kinda want to say he should have been Carrick's guy, but I didn't mind his choice to join the puck battle on the boards. I'd chalk this up to poor communication and good work by the BJ vs. an outright mistake.
  • Second goal was Ceci thinking it was icing (why was that waived off?), but he compound the problem by coasting back and then making a poor chip off the boards that made it about halfway to where Kulak was skating.
  • Third goal should have had Foegele benched for the rest of the game. Just 100% on him forcing a stupid pass when he had all the time in the world.
And those where just the plays that ended up in their net in the 1st period...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This game didn't mean much. This league has parity. The worst teams have great players, and if they get hot they are a tougher team to beat than a slumping contender. The deadline factor is also a total distraction, and Columbus is a team loaded with players who would like to be traded

Reactions: TB12 and RegDunlop

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here’s the proper way to use the word abject:

Vegas are abject cheaters.

Flames are abject losers.

Canucks are abject divers.
Post 2935. I think they might be onto something with these hockey cards. Next year Nucks cards could be interesting

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Feels like textbook playing down to your opponent but I dunno, it was mostly just a few brain farts in the defensive zone. Jackets had 4 high danger chances and got 3 goals. Feels pretty familiar.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Team looked drunk in the highlights, and that seems to be the opinion of people who watched the game too.
  • First goal was Janmark losing a board battle, Vinny losing a footrace, forcing Nurse to jump in; and then Oliver doing a good job to find the soft spot in the slot. I kinda want to say he should have been Carrick's guy, but I didn't mind his choice to join the puck battle on the boards. I'd chalk this up to poor communication and good work by the BJ vs. an outright mistake.
  • Second goal was Ceci thinking it was icing (why was that waived off?), but he compound the problem by coasting back and then making a poor chip off the boards that made it about halfway to where Kulak was skating.
  • Third goal should have had Foegele benched for the rest of the game. Just 100% on him forcing a stupid pass when he had all the time in the world.
And those where just the plays that ended up in their net in the 1st period...
While I partially blame the refs for goal 2, that is a good eye opener to play until the whistle goes.

This game itself didn't have a whole ton of meaning, but in the playoffs that could be very damaging.

Have to give credit where credit is do though. CBJ played hard and Tarasov really kept them in the game. Yet another reminder that teams play us hard regardless of where they are in the standings. We have a lot of games this month against non-playoff teams, can't take any of them lightly.

Overall good reality check game that one rather have now then come playoff time

Feels like textbook playing down to your opponent but I dunno, it was mostly just a few brain farts in the defensive zone. Jackets had 4 high danger chances and got 3 goals. Feels pretty familiar.
Feel that number isn't right. They had some pretty good chances outside of those goals too, but f*** if I know how they actually calculate all these fancy stats lol.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm not concerned about the loss last night. I figured there would be an emotional let down after that playoff style victory against the Bruins.

Lots of parity in the NHL these days, no team is an easy 2 points and the Blue Jackets are better than a lot of fans think.

On to the next with no worries.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad