Post-Game Talk: A convincing loss

mkatcherin00

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Still boggles my mind that this lineup is tops int he Pacific.

I love shitting on them, but they work much much harder than Edmonton game to game. They have high shooting %, but get a lot of goals off hard work

Höglander. Pettersson. Suter.
Mikheyev. Miller. Boeser.
Podkolzin. Lindholm. Garland.
PDG. Blueger. Lafferty.

Reactions: McDoused

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Get Foegele and Ceci the f*** off this team

There's still time
I've heard people make arguments for Foegele, particularly David Staples, that his points-per-60 is relatively high, which it actually is. Thing is, those points come off very short hot streaks, where he'll have 5 points in 3 games or the odd 5 point game, then do nothing offensively for the next 2 weeks. Case in point, he has 5 points in his last 18 games. That's not cutting it for me. He's also not that good defensively; he made a terrible giveaway tonight that directly lead to a goal.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Their defence is young and inexperienced. Lots of mistakes out there, we just need to cash in. They play about the same way our defence did tonight.
And EDM has been making just as many mistakes, probably even more. If they don't fix the turnovers in their own zone it's going to kill them come playoff time. They need to win more battles, have more structure and find a way to calmly break out of their own zone better.

Reactions: Stoneman89

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers just won what 5 in a row? Including a road win in Boston.

Terrible game but holy take a breath. TDL is a weird time for hockey players.

Regardless, it still shows that Ceci needs to be traded though. Oilers can't go through the playoffs against the league's best players with that pylon getting feasted upon. That 2-0 CBJ goal had him as a prime reason and then being the main culprit for Zacha's goal from the bruins game. It's just the same defensive mistakes from Ceci, and the Oilers cannot afford that especially in the playoffs.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
That sucked. We usually suck against the Sabres too- hopefully we find a way to come out with a better effort.
It's an afternoon game against the Sabres, another team relatively low in the standings and the kind this team has trouble getting up for, so I don't have my hopes set particularly high.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
We traded for the heart and soul of the Anaheim Ducks.

We may have also sought to include players in that deal

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I dunno, remember when we used to beat Vancouver or Detroit in their heyday when we had no right doing so?

Shit just happens.

Not going to get frustrated because of it.

I think that's absolutely fair but at the same time, seeing the same mistakes from the likes of Ceci over and over again is worrisome.
Current D core is simply not good enough and switching VD and Ceci isn't gonna be the answer for the playoffs either imo.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think that's absolutely fair but at the same time, seeing the same mistakes from the likes of Ceci over and over again is worrisome.
Current D core is simply not good enough and switching VD and Ceci isn't gonna be the answer for the playoffs either imo.

Stecher might even steal one of their spots. I’m only half joking

Reactions: TB12 and fresh meat

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'll chalk this up to new players injected into the lineup and still getting used to each other.

Columbus wanted it more... their goalie played well and that leads to a loss on the night.

It's not as if the Oilers didn't get some decent chances either... just didn't finish and Columbus did on the chances they got.

Put it behind them (they have to)... and move on to Buffalo and Pittsburgh on the weekend.

Everyone be sure to get up early for that Saturday morning 10:30 am game on Saturday and then 11 am on Sunday.

Reactions: RegDunlop

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t think Knoblauch knows what to do with the lines. And I am not sure how much I blame him. Because regardless of the coach, we see all the same patterns.

Stecher might even steal one of their spots. I’m only half joking
Unfortunately for him, he’ll never get a game if no one gets injured.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Regardless, it still shows that Ceci needs to be traded though. Oilers can't go through the playoffs against the league's best players with that pylon getting feasted upon. That 2-0 CBJ goal had him as a prime reason and then being the main culprit for Zacha's goal from the bruins game. It's just the same defensive mistakes from Ceci, and the Oilers cannot afford that especially in the playoffs.
Yah Ceci does a brain dead play a game that usually ends up in the net.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don’t think Knoblauch knows what to do with the lines. And I am not sure how much I blame him. Because regardless of the coach, we see all the same patterns.

Unfortunately for him, he’ll never get a game if no one gets injured.
Once they lock a spot in, he should get some ice to keep his legs fresh and show what he can do.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yup, great point.

Ceci has been at the top of all of our trade lists for a while here. We're not going to win anything meaningful until we shore up our D.

But no one is taking the guy, we don't have the cap space to make legitimate moves.

God damn Kesselring would have been a better option at this point.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yup, great point.

Ceci has been at the top of all of our trade lists for a while here. We're not going to win anything meaningful until we shore up our D.

But no one is taking the guy, we don't have the cap space to make legitimate moves.

God damn Kesselring would have been a better option at this point.

I get that there's a lack of cap space but when I see other teams making moves despite having low cap, its hard for me to be content with the excuses of the 'lack of cap space.' Ken Holland's the highest paid GM in the league. Be more assertive and creative. They still have enough assets to pull off a trade and also use a 3rd team as a broker.

Get it done, Kenny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad