Blue Jays Discussion: A 7-run lead is the most dangerous lead in baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
During the past 12-15 hours I've read a lot stuff along these lines:

* Gibbons is an idiot
* Cecil should be drawn and quartered
* Valencia is terrible
* The Jays will suck in the post season because they can't hit ace starters
* Dickey sucks
* Last night's game (in which the Jays tied the game late off the closer, took the lead and extras and then lost on a couple of bizarre events) was an absolute "disgrace."

Yep, mild panic has set in.

That's my favorite. Dickey really cost us that game last night. :sarcasm:

and yes, I know some smartass is going to say he did because the Jays got nothing off Syndergaard and it was getting Dickey that gave him to the Mets. Doesn't work that way. If it did Brett Lawrie should be the team MVP right now all the way from Oakland.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is one of my favourites, and it comes up all the time.

"The Jays offense isn't good enough because it feasts on bad/mediocre pitching and struggles against aces!"

That argument describes every team ever. That's why those pitchers are considered aces.

I don't have time right now, but I'd love to look back and see where so far this year the Jays have played against a team's #1 and against guys considered aces on a league-wide level and how they performed.

Off the top of my head I know they knocked around Scherzer pretty good.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa

and yes, I know some smartass is going to say he did because the Jays got nothing off Syndergaard and it was getting Dickey that gave him to the Mets. Doesn't work that way. If it did Brett Lawrie should be the team MVP right now all the way from Oakland.

I like the one with the sucking in the postseason. I wish the jays had the chance to suck in the poatseason

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I don't have time right now, but I'd love to look back and see where so far this year the Jays have played against a team's #1 and against guys considered aces on a league-wide level and how they performed.

We smashed Kluber and Tanaka. We also seem to have King Felix's number generally. And tonight we'll add Steve Harvey to that list :sarcasm:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Well... Pillar knocked around Scherzer pretty good.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
This is one of my favourites, and it comes up all the time.

"The Jays offense isn't good enough because it feasts on bad/mediocre pitching and struggles against aces!"

That argument describes every team ever. That's why those pitchers are considered aces.

When I pointed out last night the reason ace pitchers are aces is because they're really good and generally shut down all hitters the response was the line about struggling in the post season.

I guess other post season teams have magic potions that allow them to hit ace pitchers.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Keuchel's worst start was against the Jays too.

They didn't score on Archer x2, Zimmermann, and Pineda.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
When I pointed out last night the reason ace pitchers are aces is because they're really good and generally shut down all hitters the response was the line about struggling in the post season.

I guess other post season teams have magic potions that allow them to hit ace pitchers.

Yep. It's distilled from the champagne Jonathan Toews has poured into the Stanley Cup, along with the sparkling mineral water found in a Derek Jeter gift basket and gatorade from LeBron's personal stash on the Cavs bench, filtered through a Tom Brady jersey. It's known as Consistenyl™, or under its generic name Clutchital. It's also a key part of the cologne Success: for winners by Hugo Boss:sarcasm:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yep. It's distilled from the champagne Jonathan Toews has poured into the Stanley Cup, along with the sparkling mineral water found in a Derek Jeter gift basket and gatorade from LeBron's personal stash on the Cavs bench, filtered through a Tom Brady jersey. It's known as Consistenylâ„¢, or under its generic name Clutchital. It's also a key part of the cologne Success: for winners by Hugo Boss:sarcasm:

Then what do you call the potion distilled from champagne collaborated on by Joe Thornton and Rick Nash, along with the sparkling mineral water from A-Rod's gift basket and Gatorade from Terrence Ross' personal stash on the Raps bench, filtered through a Peyton Manning jersey?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Then what do you call the potion distilled from champagne collaborated on by Joe Thornton and Rick Nash, along with the sparkling mineral water from A-Rod's gift basket and Gatorade from Terrence Ross' personal stash on the Raps bench, filtered through a Peyton Manning jersey?

That never made it to production. At the last minute there was a crucial failure of the machinery at the bottling plant. Also A-Rod doesn't give out gift baskets. He simply pretends he's never met you before and if you try to say otherwise he calls you a liar. Only to admit to the relationship several years later when it's far too late.

mikebel111*

Hoffman and SRF both pitch today

both have been average so far, that's not bad considering Hoffman back from injury, and SRF I thought would take some time, but the progress is still good from SRF

Still I expect someone to come up and say both are busts. Jays drafting is bad again and bla bla bla

oh and its all Dickey's fault they are average

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Can the Mets please switch Harvey's and Colon's starts around? I wanna see what all the hype behind Bartolo Colon hitting is all about :(

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
both have been average so far, that's not bad considering Hoffman back from injury, and SRF I thought would take some time, but the progress is still good from SRF

Still I expect someone to come up and say both are busts. Jays drafting is bad again and bla bla bla

oh and its all Dickey's fault they are average

I don't think anyone has complained about AA's drafting.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't think anyone has complained about AA's drafting.

There were a ton of complaints over the first couple years when the players he had drafted were 20 years old and not yet superstars. Now that those players have had a chance to develop and start contributing, the complaints have largely stopped.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
2 words. Deck McGuire.

When that's your first pick as a GM that's all the evidence I need to see. You're doomed to be a draft failure :sarcasm:

91Kadri91*

Dickie does suck, though. Obviously he's not to blame for last night, but that doesn't exactly negate his lack of effectiveness this season (and his porous predictive statistics).

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
did people actually say that? I remember complaining about Deck McGuire but nothing like that saying the Deck pick itself means all the drafting has been terrible.

I think there was a long time where the only thing a lot of people knew about the Jays' recent drafting record was that Deck McGuire sucks, none of AA's picks had made a significant impact at the major league level, and they didn't sign Tyler Beede.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
did people actually say that? I remember complaining about Deck McGuire but nothing like that saying the Deck pick itself means all the drafting has been terrible.

DJ Davis during Michael Wacha (flocka flame)'s post season run two years ago was fun.

Jake Anderson gets a lot of love too. In all seriousness, the complaints tend to come from position players more than pitching. Even the Shanerbird's of the world would acknowledge the pitching pipeline has been well stocked.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
DJ Davis during Michael Wacha (flocka flame)'s post season run two years ago was fun.

Jake Anderson gets a lot of love too. In all seriousness, the complaints tend to come from position players more than pitching. Even the Shanerbird's of the world would acknowledge the pitching pipeline has been well stocked.

Don't forget when we didn't sign Bickford either and we selected Stroman. People up in arms over a low upside bullpen guy who would never last with his size... oh, wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad