Value of: A 1C to Ottawa before Expansion

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That's generous for Monahan. We don't need a 1C who is more of a passenger than a line driver.

Would rather stay away from that kid entirely.

I am pretty critical of Monahan and definitely don't see him as more than a 2C, but if we're only giving up White, Brown/Thomson, and a 2nd or 3rd... I can live with it. We would get the best piece in the deal and address our lack of goal scoring, which is one thing Monahan is very good at. I like White but think he can be replaced internally more easily than a guy like Monahan could be found.

I'd rather someone better, but it's rare that competent offensive centermen are available.

My main point is when that time comes, we can put together an impressive package to go out and get a centre. I don’t want to see Sanderson go, I’m with you- but the fact is, if we’re going out for a #1C right now we can acquire one a lot better than Monahan.

I'll start by reiterating that I don't really like Monahan... but what better center is available??

Seguin seems to me like a pipe dream, between his NMC, his bonus structure, and the fact that Dallas is unlikely to trade him anyways.

Ryan Johansen or Duchene are iffy guys to make a long-term commitment to...

Maybe Brayden Schenn could be available? Does he even play C much anymore?

Nugent Hopkins may hit the market, but, again, he's more of an LW at this point.

Nick Schmaltz may be available, but he's hardly in a different league. Max Domi too.

And as for Eichel.... no chance he's dealt in-division.

I know you are saying "down the line".... but this isn't just a snapshot, it's a trend. The type of C we'd be looking for just isn't available through trade. As a result, I could see us supplementing our C depth, but don't see us being able to acquire someone who is clearly better than Norris today, let alone in 3 yrs.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The only real selling point on Duchene is that he should be very cheap to acquire. You don't have to give up ANYTHING. I'd be willing to retain $2M on him and still GIVE him to you.

So get past the date of his next $5M signing bonus payout this summer, then the money he has left that's owed to him is $33M for 5 years. Well, that is only $6.6M per, but if we're retaining $2M per, then you are basically paying him $4.6M per in real money, with a $6M AAV.

He hasn't lost anything in speed, skill, or work ethic, I just find him to have really low hockey IQ on our team. And misses the net on just about every shot attempt. But he seems to have been able to produce better elsewhere somehow, so if somehow you think you know how to resurrect his production, he's the low cost option.

And as before: one free Borowiecki with every Duchene purchased. :confused:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am pretty critical of Monahan and definitely don't see him as more than a 2C, but if we're only giving up White, Brown/Thomson, and a 2nd or 3rd... I can live with it. We would get the best piece in the deal and address our lack of goal scoring, which is one thing Monahan is very good at. I like White but think he can be replaced internally more easily than a guy like Monahan could be found.

I'd rather someone better, but it's rare that competent offensive centermen are available.

I'll start by reiterating that I don't really like Monahan... but what better center is available??

Seguin seems to me like a pipe dream, between his NMC, his bonus structure, and the fact that Dallas is unlikely to trade him anyways.

Nugent Hopkins may hit the market, but, again, he's more of an LW at this point.

Nick Schmaltz may be available, but he's hardly in a different league. Max Domi too.

I know you are saying "down the line".... but this isn't just a snapshot, it's a trend. The type of C we'd be looking for just isn't available through trade. As a result, I could see us supplementing our C depth, but don't see us being able to acquire someone who is clearly better than Norris today, let alone in 3 yrs.

Yeah, that’s not gonna work. Would rather get Norris or Batherson, but I don’t see that happening. I would want Norris/Batherson and Tampa Bay’s 2022 2nd or White + 2022/23 1st (cond. on making the playoffs in 2022, Ottawa can defer pick to 2023 if they want to retain their pick for 2022). You should be a much more improved team by then.

Brown and Thomson are meh.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, that’s not gonna work. Would rather get Norris or Batherson, but I don’t see that happening. I would want Norris/Batherson and Tampa Bay’s 2022 2nd or White + 2022/23 1st (cond. on making the playoffs in 2022, Ottawa can defer pick to 2023 if they want to retain their pick for 2022). You should be a much more improved team by then.

Brown and Thomson are meh.

Yeah, zero chance Norris or Batherson are moved for Monahan. I'd argue they are all of a similar caliber currently but Monahan is the only one with a) a large salary, b) not cost protected, and c) not a ton of room to grow.

I'd do White and a conditional 1st, but would try to push it to 2023/2024. As you can probably see, I don't really like Monahan all that much.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The only real selling point on Duchene is that he should be very cheap to acquire. You don't have to give up ANYTHING. I'd be willing to retain $2M on him and still GIVE him to you.

So get past the date of his next $5M signing bonus payout this summer, then the money he has left that's owed to him is $33M for 5 years. Well, that is only $6.6M per, but if we're retaining $2M per, then you are basically paying him $4.6M per in real money, with a $6M AAV.

He hasn't lost anything in speed, skill, or work ethic, I just find him to have really low hockey IQ on our team. And misses the net on just about every shot attempt. But he seems to have been able to produce better elsewhere somehow, so if somehow you think you know how to resurrect his production, he's the low cost option.

I like Duchene but not sure we'd want to commit to him for that long time. With retention, I'd happily give up a decent asset. He was great here.

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
I agree, they type of player you want to being in will define the type of assets you're forced to part with. I don't know enough of Monahan to comment really but I know he would at least be better than what we have and bring experience and a good 1-2 punch down the middle with Norris for top 6. Another name i thought of is Steven Stamkos from Tampa. Will they look to alleviate cap issues by moving on from him and retaining some of their youth/future? I know he's a bit injury prone and out of of the core age we're looking at but the experience and leadership a guy like that could bring to the development of our young guys could be well worth the risk. Its a different approach but you also need to be weary of cap going forward. Stammer is paid now, but in a few years when we really need to start paying these kids, his $ will be on the out. He has 3 years left at 8.5 with a slightly back diving deal (a Melnyk special).

Seguin is a pipe dream i agree. RNH I would certainly consider although he's injury prone, but there would be a cap on how high I'd go with him which its possible some GM out there will overpay for him and it only takes 1!

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
At a low cost to acquire and keeping the cap hit manageable going forward I wouldn't be opposed to bring him back. Although I've always thought he was a glorified winger as he's too enigmatic for me to play center. Better as a creative flair player on the wing. May be a good foil for Norris' actually. I'm sure given some of the issues around the team he was involve in (think Ubergate) in his last year here, the Sens may think twice about bringing him into a dressing room full of impressionable youngsters. He is a good player though I just though he seems to be miscast and a bit over hyped everywhere he's gone. My 2 cents anyway.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
When was the last time a good top line C was traded?

Example: Ryan Johansen is a top line C who was traded but he's not a very good one.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
When was the last time a good top line C was traded?

Example: Ryan Johansen is a top line C who was traded but he's not a very good one.

Dubois? And I think he also fits what the OP wants. Any chance winnipeg would move him really soon or has he fit well?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The short answer from Edmonton is we don't know.

The long answer is: We *think* he resigns with the Oilers but Holland cannot overpay for retaining RNH's services. I believe Oiler fans are leery of paying him over $7 Million per season AAV. He is a really good 2C and top line winger. Very versatile. Very handy for Dave Tippett. RNH allows Draisaitl to play with McDavid when required, taking over center duties on the second line when necessary. He can play with either Draisaitl or McDavid on the wing and do well in either role.

However if RNH demands $7.5 million + and lots of term and a NMC and all the bells and whistles he won't be in Edmonton next year. I would warn any GM, Ottawa's included, to be wary of overpaying RNH. He can't drive a line like a true power forward can. He can't dominate a game. He is very responsible and okay in the face-off dot but isn't a league leader in any of those categories. He is an excellent complimentary player.

Most Oilers fans want him signed for less then his current 6 Million a year . He hasn't done so well this year on a line with McDavid for the most part . Still can't win FOs . RNH is a winger at this stage . He very rarely engages physically and shows little to no emotion . If Sens are consider signing him keep the AV at about 6 a year and remember he more of a winger not the C your looking for . By the way I like RNH . I just calling his play how it's been this year .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I agree, they type of player you want to being in will define the type of assets you're forced to part with. I don't know enough of Monahan to comment really but I know he would at least be better than what we have and bring experience and a good 1-2 punch down the middle with Norris for top 6. Another name i thought of is Steven Stamkos from Tampa. Will they look to alleviate cap issues by moving on from him and retaining some of their youth/future? I know he's a bit injury prone and out of of the core age we're looking at but the experience and leadership a guy like that could bring to the development of our young guys could be well worth the risk. Its a different approach but you also need to be weary of cap going forward. Stammer is paid now, but in a few years when we really need to start paying these kids, his $ will be on the out. He has 3 years left at 8.5 with a slightly back diving deal (a Melnyk special).

Seguin is a pipe dream i agree. RNH I would certainly consider although he's injury prone, but there would be a cap on how high I'd go with him which its possible some GM out there will overpay for him and it only takes 1!

This is just wrong . Might want to search his number of games played over the last 5 years . He missed 24 games over the last 5 years . 4.8 games a year average . His injuries are really overblown on HF . See my other postings . I call RNH like it is .

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Most Oilers fans want him signed for less then his current 6 Million a year . He hasn't done so well this year on a line with McDavid for the most part . Still can't win FOs . RNH is a winger at this stage . He very rarely engages physically and shows little to no emotion . If Sens are consider signing him keep the AV at about 6 a year and remember he more of a winger not the C your looking for . By the way I like RNH . I just calling his play how it's been this year .

I'd be happy if that happened but facing UFA status that isn't a very realistic scenario.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ottawa is pretty set for the future down the middle at 2 and 3C. Norris will be an outstanding 2, and we have options for 3 and even 4C down the road with White, Teirny, Pinto etc all there. We lack a true 1C though. I'm wondering what teams out there are either looking to make a change for a good old change of direction or are looking to solve an expansion headache by looking to move a piece on for fear of losing it for nothing to Seattle. Ottawa has protection room, the assets and cap room to make a move like this but obviously it depends on which other teams are looking to move the right pieces.

I think Sens could even consider a 2A 2b scenario with a center for the right player. Examples, are calgary looking for a shake up and move Monahan? Does RNH return to the Oilers? Will Tampa make a move pre expansion to offload someone to recoup some assets and free cap space up? Who's available?

zib back is too wierd

howev
if it were profitable
I could see a 3 way
another team - Sens -Rangers

not sure who gets what other than Zib to 3rd team

also, would have to beat NY dealing zib directly

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
How about Monahan and Tkachuk for your two first round picks in 22/23 after expansion ...

Done deal, a lot of people think the Sens are competing for a playoff spot starting next season I this think reinforces that, but CGY doesn't touch that 2 firsts 2 and 3 drafts from now if way too long of a wait to trade 2 core players and tbh not enough going CGY's way.

Or Monahan and a 3rd for this years first ...

I don't think the 2021 1st would be on the table for a Monahan trade he's good for 60 points not that much more, and he is having another down season this year. Lindholm would be of way more interest but obviously would cost a lot more than Monahan.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
If Ottawa had a different head coach, he would be at least attempted at 1C this season. Granted he is young and inexperienced.

It becomes a more serious issue next year if he is still stuck on Left Wing full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad