Value of: A 1C to Ottawa before Expansion

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You got one.
Stop forcing him to the wing. Would be beyond stupid. He was a 19 year old kid in a COVID shortened season with no real pre-season. Of course you don't want to have him get overwhelmed at center..

As a German, I will be very mad if you guys "ruin" him by not properly developing him as a center...

MacKinnon played as a winger in his rookie season. And he had his struggles adjusting to the NHL as a center. How beyond stupid would we have been if we had just pencilled him in as a winger after his rookie season just to avoid some potential growing pains....

Stützle can and has played center most of his life. He did so for Germany in 2 WJCs...
The only time he doesn't play at center is when he was a very young guy trying taking his first steps at higher competition.

So don't ruin this. Maybe he can't hack it in the NHL as a C longterm. But you better atleast give it an excruciatingly long try and a few years before you make him a full time winger...

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ottawa is pretty set for the future down the middle at 2 and 3C. Norris will be an outstanding 2, and we have options for 3 and even 4C down the road with White, Teirny, Pinto etc all there. We lack a true 1C though. I'm wondering what teams out there are either looking to make a change for a good old change of direction or are looking to solve an expansion headache by looking to move a piece on for fear of losing it for nothing to Seattle. Ottawa has protection room, the assets and cap room to make a move like this but obviously it depends on which other teams are looking to move the right pieces.

I think Sens could even consider a 2A 2b scenario with a center for the right player. Examples, are calgary looking for a shake up and move Monahan? Does RNH return to the Oilers? Will Tampa make a move pre expansion to offload someone to recoup some assets and free cap space up? Who's available?

I'd say Norris is already much better than Monahan and currently similar to RNH, with a chance to be better. I don't see why the Sens would target them. There's also a good chance that Stutzle eventually develops into a center, so no there's no particular positional need there.

Reactions: Prajna

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
What’s the offer on Monahan?
If Norris or Pinto aren’t gonna be good enough, Monahan won’t be either. I’d offer up something - like White, L Thomson/L Brown and a 2nd or 3rd - but wouldn’t really wanna do much more than that. Monahan would improve our team, but don’t see him as anything more than a secondary core piece long term.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If Norris or Pinto aren’t gonna be good enough, Monahan won’t be either. I’d offer up something - like White, L Thomson/L Brown and a 2nd or 3rd - but wouldn’t really wanna do much more than that. Monahan would improve our team, but don’t see him as anything more than a secondary core piece long term.

Secondary core piece is something that we should still believe White can become and something that we hope Brown can develop into. Monahan really isn’t a player I’m interested in going after.

Sanderson + 1st round pick + roster player (Tierney, C. Brown, Dadonov) + prospect (Greig, Thomson, JBD) is a pretty good package to start with if we wanted to go big game hunting. We have the draft equity and prospect pool to do so.

If we draft a defensemen to replace Sanderson in the pool this year, we can say we hit on both our picks last years draft. (Stützle + whatever elite centre we get).

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Secondary core piece is something that we should still believe White can become and something that we hope Brown can develop into. Monahan really isn’t a player I’m interested in going after.

Sanderson + 1st round pick + roster player (Tierney, C. Brown, Dadonov) + prospect (Greig, Thomson, JBD) is a pretty good package to start with if we wanted to go big game hunting. We have the draft equity and prospect pool to do so.

If we draft a defensemen to replace Sanderson in the pool this year, we can say we hit on both our picks last years draft. (Stützle + whatever elite centre we get).

I'm not really interested in Monahan either, but I don't know if any of those guys are seen as core pieces within the organization. Monahan is a solid offensive C, a good goal scorer, and could be a short/medium-term 1A/1B centerman for us... I wouldn't dislike him as an addition... but I wouldn't give up any marquee pieces for him.

Personally, I would stand pat unless the trade really makes sense for us. Almost no chance we land a 1C via trade.

Reactions: trentmccleary

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Am I crazy for thinking Josh Norris could be a 1C?

Not at all. I don't think he's a lock to be a #1 but for some reason, a lot of Sens fans have penciled in Norris as a #2. He's been great at every level of hockey he's played, top rookie last year in the AHL and top 5 rookies in NHL...Norris, Tkachuk, Batherson have the potential to be a top-line in the NHL.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I'm not really interested in Monahan either, but I don't know if any of those guys are seen as core pieces within the organization. Monahan is a solid offensive C, a good goal scorer, and could be a short/medium-term 1A/1B centerman for us... I wouldn't dislike him as an addition... but I wouldn't give up any marquee pieces for him.

Personally, I would stand pat unless the trade really makes sense for us. Almost no chance we land a 1C via trade.

He’s more than adequate when used as a stop gap, I just don’t like the idea of spending any equity on someone we don’t see in our future. I think we can explore options to a similar effect through free agency.

We’re turning the corner but I agree the best bet would be to stand pat and see our hand before we play it.

Someone brought up the notion of acquiring Seguin. I wouldn’t be completely opposed to that idea, that’s a proven centre that’s locked up for term. Everything else aside like NMC, he’s certainly a player I would target.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Hmm.. are you viewing Brown and white as negative value pieces? I wouldn't trade a top 8 first rounder for 2 years of Monahan, forget adding to it.

Don’t think anyone would consider Brown a negative asset. I don’t think he would pass through waivers.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I'm in shock with the ask, trying to understand lol.

I’m with you there, don’t think I would go top 10 pick for two years of Monahan.

So many factors in that, main two is that I would trust my first born with Trent Mann and his scouting staff and team control of that top 10 pick.

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016

I don't think there's any appetite from the Sens to move on Sanderson as I think they see him as a core piece for the future who hasn't even signed his ELC yet. That said you obviously need to give to get, but no delusions here that teams are offering up young studs. More the idea of good youngish 1 or 2 c's that either need a chance of scenery (like Dubois was in CBJ) or maybe take advantage of a team with cap or expansion protection issues to land a center that could play in Ottawas top 6 along with Norris.

Norris I think is a very good two way complete 100 ft player who will be a very good 2c on a good competitive team.

Reactions: Akrapovince

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
JT Miller

for

2022-1st (no protection) , a flip of 2021- 1st's (conditional*- Van's choice of flip), and 2021-2nd (Ottawa's)

*2021-1st (Top 2 protected for Ottawa), Van get's SJ - 2021 2nd if Ottawa wins top 2 protected 2021-1st)

Just to be clear, if Vancouver somehow wins the lottery (that will never happen) or actually ends up with a better 2021-1st, then Vancouver takes the better pick)

Miller's on a great contract, he costs us a 1st, and he is totally versatile......he would be a great fit in Ottawa

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
JT Miller

for

2022-1st (no protection) , a flip of 2021- 1st's (conditional*- Van's choice of flip), and 2021-2nd (Ottawa's)

*2021-1st (Top 2 protected for Ottawa), Van get's SJ - 2021 2nd if Ottawa wins top 2 protected 2021-1st)

Just to be clear, if Vancouver somehow wins the lottery (that will never happen) or actually ends up with a better 2021-1st, then Vancouver takes the better pick)

Miller's on a great contract, he costs us a 1st, and he is totally versatile......he would be a great fit in Ottawa

Vancouver is selling him without getting any roster help in return because...? (With Gaudette and probably Sutter gone Vancouver's going to need him; even if he plays down the lineup to help our center depth or retains his #1 LW spot, he's valuable to us and I would not want him leaving without at least getting a blue-chipper who's ready to help now in return).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That's generous for Monahan. We don't need a 1C who is more of a passenger than a line driver.

Would rather stay away from that kid entirely.

Reactions: Sens9292

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I don't think there's any appetite from the Sens to move on Sanderson as I think they see him as a core piece for the future who hasn't even signed his ELC yet. That said you obviously need to give to get, but no delusions here that teams are offering up young studs. More the idea of good youngish 1 or 2 c's that either need a chance of scenery (like Dubois was in CBJ) or maybe take advantage of a team with cap or expansion protection issues to land a center that could play in Ottawas top 6 along with Norris.

Norris I think is a very good two way complete 100 ft player who will be a very good 2c on a good competitive team.

I was more thinking down the line, obviously there isn’t a dire need to acquire a #1 C right now.

Who knows who emerges as that in two or three years, we haven’t turned the corner in a way for us to go out and get one.

My main point is when that time comes, we can put together an impressive package to go out and get a centre. I don’t want to see Sanderson go, I’m with you- but the fact is, if we’re going out for a #1C right now we can acquire one a lot better than Monahan.

Agree with everything in your post, teams aren’t lining out the door to trade away established centres. You look at a team like Detroit whose going through the first phase of their rebuild and I don’t even want to imagine the package it would take to pry Larkin from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrevSens

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00