Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Does anyone here actually think that if the Wings had known how the 23/24 season would turn out, they'd have picked Danielson at #9 overall? In reality, there's no flipping way they would have.
What? I'm not seeing the angle where a draft selection in June of '23 changes in any way due to what occurred in the '23-'24 season.

About the only thing that remotely comes into play is that the Wings should have traded the #9 for immediate help? But that is silly.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Does anyone here actually think that if the Wings had known how the 23/24 season would turn out, they'd have picked Danielson at #9 overall? In reality, there's no flipping way they would have.
Let me guess, you would have rather had Daliborsky or Benson?

The Wings need centers. They still need centers. If they could go back they would almost certainly take Danielson again at 9.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I’d rather have had Benson but hoping Danielson proves me wrong. I don’t think Dvorsky is much to be concerned about. Even at his best case he is unlikely to be much different from Danielson. They’re fairly similar players.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I’d rather have had Benson but hoping Danielson proves me wrong. I don’t think Dvorsky is much to be concerned about. Even at his best case he is unlikely to be much different from Danielson. They’re fairly similar players.

I think Danielson is more likely to have a better career. I know Dvorsky looked good on a stacked OHL team, but people seem to be forgetting he literally couldn't cut it in the SHL. If we're doing apples to apples, Kasper's a better prospect based on their D+1.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I agree 100%. Benson over Danielson on terms of bringing excitement and offensive abilities for sure.

I think a Stanley cup winner needs more Danielson type players vs Bensons though which is why I don’t mind the pick. I understand the thought behind the pick.

I do hope some of our more offensive gifted players (the boom or bust prospects we have) develop because this team needs a few extra stick handlers or heavy shot players. Even Brady Cleveland turning into Gudas2.0 would be amazing….. just no more Vanilla players à la Copp/Compher. We have enough of those

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Danielson is more likely to have a better career. I know Dvorsky looked good on a stacked OHL team, but people seem to be forgetting he literally couldn't cut it in the SHL. If we're doing apples to apples, Kasper's a better prospect based on their D+1.
Dvorsky has better hands , everything else Kasper is better

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I was a Besonite but it's way too early on that front. Danielson probably makes the Sabres out of camp as well. We send Benson down despite him doing well, like we did with Danielson.

Probably crying about taking Benson over a needed position.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I also don’t know why everyone keeps saying we need centres as if we also don’t need wingers. We have Raymond and DBC, and then who else? Having high octane offensive wingers is a huge need for this team as well.

Reactions: Realgud

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I also don’t know why everyone keeps saying we need centres as if we also don’t need wingers. We have Raymond and DBC, and then who else? Having high octane offensive wingers is a huge need for this team as well.
We need everything, but centers are in fact worth more than wingers. It's also easier to get wingers at free agency than good centers.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
True, but they are easier to acquire than centers. There is a lot to be said for using the draft to acquire what you can't acquire in free agency or the trade market.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Does anyone here actually think that if the Red Wings had known how the 23/24 season would turn out, they'd have picked someone different at 9th overall? In reality, there's no flipping way they would have.

Reactions: RRhoads

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
True, but they are easier to acquire than centers. There is a lot to be said for using the draft to acquire what you can't acquire in free agency or the trade market.

In the category of the highest end players wingers might be more rare. There are probably more super star centers than super star wingers.

Certainly there are more franchise centers than franchise wingers.

Part of all this is driven by positional value but from a scarcity angle I think wingers might be more rare at the very top.

All of that to say we are in no position (pardon the pun) to be picky about what position elite players play. I’d love to get a center but I’d take anything we can get haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Holden Caufield

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Why does the result this year change who they picked?

Reactions: Gibby

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What an insane assist by Zakreski on Portland's second goal

Danielson got a secondary assist on the first goal. He is such a fantastic skater

Portland is up 2-0, looking to take a 3-1 series lead

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I haven't watched all that much of him, but for a guy who gets so much hype for his two-way game he certainly presents (atleast in clips) as a guy with all the tools as well. For those who know him better, what are the weaknesses? Not to imply he's perfect, but he really does seem like one of the most well-rounded prospects we've had in a long while.
Last year with Brandon, he was pulling off risky moves rather in a trial-and-error fashion. Showed his raw-ness offensively but sometimes just ran himself out of plays by holding onto the puck a bit too long.

This season in Brandon he was trying some of the same and maybe seeing a slight bit more success. At the same time their system relied on him to do the same things at ES + PP and I think it stifled his creativity. Now with Portland he's facilitating a lot more and landing more assists on the scoresheet.

I will say if his release was just a bit quicker to get off (it's still fairly quick) he could be a serious goal scoring threat of 35+ goals.

I see some here say they wish he was a little more selfish and I tend to agree although he's primarily a distributor of the puck.

He's showing he's not some "rush-only goal scorer". Dual threat, 2-way center who's very dangerous in transition with speed. That's why I think his upside is a lot higher than some give him credit for.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Why does the result this year change who they picked?
Because Danielson didn't have a post-draft season of a player picked in the top 10 of the draft. You expect a guy to make a massive development jump from the pre-draft season to the post-draft season in juniors, that didn't at all happen. A top ten NHL pick would be expected to basically be one of the absolute best players in the WHL in that year. Danielson was #49 in WHL scoring this season. He was #22 in the pre-draft season, so he actually had a worse season this year even though he's a year older and should be stronger and more experienced and simply much better than his competitors. No way did anyone in the Wings organization expect that he'd stall out production-wise.

I mean in this thread people bring up comparisons like Larkin or Toews, guys who pulverized much better college competition in their post-draft seasons. There's a reason the conversation is leaning toward "he's going to be a good role player" because that's where the indicators point. I meane even the Larkin/Toews projections, as wishful homer thinking as they are basically betray the fact that this guy's offense isn't high level enough as neither one of those guys is an elite scorer. If he turns into a good checking line forward who gets 800+ NHL games, he wouldn't be a bust but he also wouldn't be the guy they thought they were picking at #9.

Someone said the Wings need centermen, yeah, that is 100% true, but they really need a centerman who can be top 10 in league scoring, not just a guy who's dependable on the PK and can eat minutes. I'm not writing Danielson off or anything, I'm just pointing out the obvious fact that he hasn't developed in the way he would have been expected to.

• Haha

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Because Danielson didn't have a post-draft season of a player picked in the top 10 of the draft. You expect a guy to make a massive development jump from the pre-draft season to the post-draft season in juniors, that didn't at all happen. A top ten NHL pick would be expected to basically be one of the absolute best players in the WHL in that year. Danielson was #49 in WHL scoring this season. He was #22 in the pre-draft season, so he actually had a worse season this year even though he's a year older and should be stronger and more experienced and simply much better than his competitors. No way did anyone in the Wings organization expect that he'd stall out production-wise.

I mean in this thread people bring up comparisons like Larkin or Toews, guys who pulverized much better college competition in their post-draft seasons. There's a reason the conversation is leaning toward "he's going to be a good role player" because that's where the indicators point. I meane even the Larkin/Toews projections, as wishful homer thinking as they are basically betray the fact that this guy's offense isn't high level enough as neither one of those guys is an elite scorer. If he turns into a good checking line forward who gets 800+ NHL games, he wouldn't be a bust but he also wouldn't be the guy they thought they were picking at #9.

Someone said the Wings need centermen, yeah, that is 100% true, but they really need a centerman who can be top 10 in league scoring, not just a guy who's dependable on the PK and can eat minutes. I'm not writing Danielson off or anything, I'm just pointing out the obvious fact that he hasn't developed in the way he would have been expected to.
There is no guarantee one of them was even available this past draft. Bedard maybe, but even he might never get there.

Not to mention that everything about the Wings, from drafting, to player development, to player deployment, to team strategies, etc... points to them not giving two shits about top 10 scoring potential. They'd much rather have a Selke winner than an Art Ross winner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad