Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Can we stop with the "troll " comment's if we're not gonna encourage calling others "homers.."

The troll remark gets thrown out so easily as soon as someone disagrees...it's a sad reflection of society today...

Posters aren't trolls or homers...just fans
I don't disagree, but there are some blatant concern trolls on this board. Everything the Wings do is bad until they are proven wrong, and then they move on to the next bad thing the Wings did.
Notice how people rarely call Ogee a troll for being Critical of Hronek or Sandin Pelikka. There's a difference in the way he posts about prospects he's critical of and the way trolls post.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
There are quite a few people in this site who would argue they DO see him as having an 80+ point upside. And I totally understand that as he’s also, based on recent polls, rated as our #1 prospect. With all our recent early 1st round picks, it’s to be expected that we have at least ONE guy who has some significant offensive upside to that level.

I just don’t think he’s it.
That's a fair take. We all see different things in different players which is just the nature of armchair scouting. We're all homers in some way about our prospects too.

I've been very wrong about a lot of prospects before too like the rest of us who are pumping Danielson's tires. He is different though to me, like a Scheifele. Like Scheifele, he quietly rose up the rankings late in the year while playing on a very bad team with an overlooked skillset and ended up getting picked top 10.

Raymond is turning into that elite offensive guy and is now showing us that he took all the necessary steps forward that we hoped he would as a 4th overall pick. I know that ideally we want a Center like Adam Fantilli driving offense (basically Larkin on crack), but we never got that lucky. So we have to take chances at other positions on the 'boom' (e.g. Edvinsson, Cossa) and hope it plays out where we drafted from.

If Danielson is a Ryan O'Reilly-esque 65-70 point 2-way Top 6 C that matches up against top lines, wouldn't we be ecstatic with that at 9th overall? That's not to say he's anywhere near that right now, but there's a lot to like about a player like this. Sometimes it's nice to have a reliable player like this and not a flashy junior scorer who needs to put on tons of muscle. Raymond was that but at least he was playing pro hockey when he was drafted. Like Seider, like Edvinsson, like Kasper, like ASP.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't disagree, but there are some blatant concern trolls on this board. Everything the Wings do is bad until they are proven wrong, and then they move on to the next bad thing the Wings did.
Notice how people rarely call Ogee a troll for being Critical of Hronek or Sandin Pelikka. There's a difference in the way he posts about prospects he's critical of and the way trolls post.
100% agree

Some posters are critical of everything and equally some are giddy about everything.

I guess I just hope everyone here on this board, is here because they've DRW fans is all..

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
100% agree

Some posters are critical of everything and equally some are giddy about everything.

I guess I just hope everyone here on this board, is here because they've DRW fans is all..
I love everything. I hate everything. Now I have everything covered.

And yet I sense that you can please all of the people some of the time...

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
100% agree

Detroit has burned a lot of the benefit of the doubt in the tail end of the Holland years. They have a lot to prove before they get it again.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
15 year old account = "pretty blatantly made to troll" for disagreeing with an insanely optimistic view of a guy who is not exactly dominating junior hockey in his D+1 season.

Fascinating.

Can tell you are new here. He is among the leaders in troll like posts in HF history.

Who here gets to watch Danielson live?

Everyone, otherwise he would be dead!

• Haha
Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit has burned a lot of the benefit of the doubt in the tail end of the Holland years. They have a lot to prove before they get it again.
Would you at least agree that what Seider and Raymond have already shown, plus this stint from Edvinsson, would indicate that the current regime is making good choices with first round picks, and developing them well? Or does it require an Art Ross or Norris Trophy to prove that they can draft?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I absolutely love the way Danielson moves with the puck. There is a certain stressless coordination and fluidity to him that I think speaks volumes for his upside. He is an interesting cat. He plays a super mature, professional style that doesn't mesh all that well with junior hockey. You want to see him be more selfish with the puck and dictate offensive play more but he isn't going to do it at the expenses of being where he should be, when he should be or turning over the puck. I appreciate why people are frustrated though. Now is the time to try to take those risks with the puck (and even positioning) as the game is only going to get more structured as he moves along. For a team with little center depth, I am super glad that we took him.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I absolutely love the way Danielson moves with the puck. There is a certain stressless coordination and fluidity to him that I think speaks volumes for his upside. He is an interesting cat. He plays a super mature, professional style that doesn't mesh all that well with junior hockey. You want to see him be more selfish with the puck and dictate offensive play more but he isn't going to do it at the expenses of being where he should be, when he should be or turning over the puck. I appreciate why people are frustrated though. Now is the time to try to take those risks with the puck (and even positioning) as the game is only going to get more structured as he moves along. For a team with little center depth, I am super glad that we took him.
Exact same thing happened with Raymond when he played against junior competition (WJC, mostly). Still played a pro game even though it hurt his production. That disappointed the stat watchers.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Posters aren't trolls or homers...just fans
I'm a homer and proud of it
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 18-24-34 Pin de Ashley Eagle en The simpsons Caras raras Caras.png

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
His ability to gain offensive zone entries and his puck carrying skills are what drives my belief he will be with the big club sooner than most think.

No one other than Larkin can do those things consistently well on this team right now(Kane can, but who knows with him right now).

Haven't seen enough of Kasper to know if he is capable as well in that regard. Hope he is.

Reactions: NickH8 and Retire91

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
His ability to gain offensive zone entries and his puck carrying skills are what drives my belief he will be with the big club sooner than most think.

No one other than Larkin can do those things consistently well on this team right now(Kane can, but who knows with him right now).

Haven't seen enough of Kasper to know if he is capable as well in that regard. Hope he is.
It seems like every highlight Danielson is carrying the puck into the zone. Hopefully as we get more guys that can carry the puck we let them do it more and not coach them to dump and chase too much.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Can tell you are new here. He is among the leaders in troll like posts in HF history.

Everyone, otherwise he would be dead!
Huh? Is this in reference to me? Can you actually point me to posts where I’m “trolling”? You don’t seem to know what you’re talking about.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would add to that the people who demand action simply for the sake of action due to their complete inability to critically think about the bigger longer term picture that is taking shape. It is taking too long to walk up these stairs so I am going to replace the wood the stairs are made of. Yes you took action. But also spent resources to gain absolutely zero ground. Yzerman is a diversity of tactics slow burn continuous improvement long vision GM that doesn't make rash decisions. Deal with it.

As for Danielson, if he can even become a serviceable top 6 C that can hold the position and just provide a little more than the basics that would be HUGE for this team. We have seen teams challenge for the cup that are not stacked with stars. If we can build a roster that is simply covered with the basics up and down that is going to be difficult to play against and can open a window. I can see it, and although I am holding out hope that one or more of Kasper Danielson Cossa can hit the stratosphere I can still see a lot of good hockey ahead of us.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
That's a fair take. We all see different things in different players which is just the nature of armchair scouting. We're all homers in some way about our prospects too.

I've been very wrong about a lot of prospects before too like the rest of us who are pumping Danielson's tires. He is different though to me, like a Scheifele. Like Scheifele, he quietly rose up the rankings late in the year while playing on a very bad team with an overlooked skillset and ended up getting picked top 10.

Raymond is turning into that elite offensive guy and is now showing us that he took all the necessary steps forward that we hoped he would as a 4th overall pick. I know that ideally we want a Center like Adam Fantilli driving offense (basically Larkin on crack), but we never got that lucky. So we have to take chances at other positions on the 'boom' (e.g. Edvinsson, Cossa) and hope it plays out where we drafted from.

If Danielson is a Ryan O'Reilly-esque 65-70 point 2-way Top 6 C that matches up against top lines, wouldn't we be ecstatic with that at 9th overall? That's not to say he's anywhere near that right now, but there's a lot to like about a player like this. Sometimes it's nice to have a reliable player like this and not a flashy junior scorer who needs to put on tons of muscle. Raymond was that but at least he was playing pro hockey when he was drafted. Like Seider, like Edvinsson, like Kasper, like ASP.

I for one would be ecstatic if he became a Ryan O type of player. A Ryan O and Larkin 'should' be able to compete for the Cup.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Would you at least agree that what Seider and Raymond have already shown, plus this stint from Edvinsson, would indicate that the current regime is making good choices with first round picks, and developing them well? Or does it require an Art Ross or Norris Trophy to prove that they can draft?

Raymond looks like a good winger but the inflation of points league wide still sees him as (at current) non-elite player. Mo when he’s on is great but the last two seasons it’s been a question mark on which Mo shows up, the one we saw his rookie year that is a world beater or a guy who looks like a second pairing physical dman. As for Ed I’m still super high on him being a top pairing high end d man in a few years. The problem is that Detroit still lacks high end offensive talent.

Looking at how the current playoffs are shaping up in the East all the teams leading or who have won their series have deep offensive cores and very good defenses. Detroit doesn’t have a Pastrnak, Aho, Reinhard, or Panarin and a good supporting cast around them.

I’m excited for ASP and Cossa and Danielson for sure but Detroit still doesn’t look like it has the pieces it needs to compete. I’m still afraid this team will be a bubble team until Larkin starts to decline and we are right back to 2019 all over again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Raymond looks like a good winger but the inflation of points league wide still sees him as (at current) non-elite player. Mo when he’s on is great but the last two seasons it’s been a question mark on which Mo shows up, the one we saw his rookie year that is a world beater or a guy who looks like a second pairing physical dman. As for Ed I’m still super high on him being a top pairing high end d man in a few years. The problem is that Detroit still lacks high end offensive talent.

Looking at how the current playoffs are shaping up in the East all the teams leading or who have won their series have deep offensive cores and very good defenses. Detroit doesn’t have a Pastrnak, Aho, Reinhard, or Panarin and a good supporting cast around them.

I’m excited for ASP and Cossa and Danielson for sure but Detroit still doesn’t look like it has the pieces it needs to compete. I’m still afraid this team will be a bubble team until Larkin starts to decline and we are right back to 2019 all over again.
So Aho (26) with 89 points is elite, but Raymond (22) with 72 points not only isn't, but doesn't look like he will get there. Uh huh.

It sounds more like you're fixated on stats and think that a 100-point player is mandatory to win a Cup. Which isn't the case.

Edit: FYI, when Aho was 22, he scored 66 points.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I think it's a reasonable fear. We're making good progress though and there's no reason to believe that we shouldn't keep making progress.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would add to that the people who demand action simply for the sake of action due to their complete inability to critically think about the bigger longer term picture that is taking shape. It is taking too long to walk up these stairs so I am going to replace the wood the stairs are made of. Yes you took action. But also spent resources to gain absolutely zero ground. Yzerman is a diversity of tactics slow burn continuous improvement long vision GM that doesn't make rash decisions. Deal with it.

As for Danielson, if he can even become a serviceable top 6 C that can hold the position and just provide a little more than the basics that would be HUGE for this team. We have seen teams challenge for the cup that are not stacked with stars. If we can build a roster that is simply covered with the basics up and down that is going to be difficult to play against and can open a window. I can see it, and although I am holding out hope that one or more of Kasper Danielson Cossa can hit the stratosphere I can still see a lot of good hockey ahead of us.

We just want one of these:

• Haha
Reactions: Retire91

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

This is pretty much how I feel about Nate, too. He's such a fundamentally sound thinker and unselfish player along with the size and skating attributes that he should have very little trouble fitting into the increased structure of NHL play and making a contribution. But, it can also be easy to get trapped into that structure and find a "safe place", where your primary concern is just do your job, don't make a mistake. At the Junior level and with his ability, it would be good to see Nate push the boundaries a little more in areas related to creating and finishing scoring chances. Dare to be great, Nate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad