Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Danielson is great at changing angles and fooling defense and goalies when aiming for a shot. He's just been getting really good and finding seams for passes because teams have to respect his shot. He needs time to keep putting that offense together in the pros

I'd call him a dual threat playmaker. Better puck distributor at this age than Larkin was, but Larkin will be seen as more of the natural shooter between the two

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Danielson is great at changing angles and fooling defense and goalies when aiming for a shot. He's just been getting really good and finding seams for passes because teams have to respect his shot. He needs time to keep putting that offense together in the pros

I'd call him a dual threat playmaker. Better puck distributor at this age than Larkin was, but Larkin will be seen as more of the natural shooter between the two

Imo, Barzal is good stylistic comparable.

With better defence.

Reactions: Geezer WC

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Imo, Barzal is good stylistic comparable.

With better defence.
Personally I don't like that comparable at all. Even in the best case scenario where Danielson's hands, shot, creativity and passing all take really big steps in development, he won't be as good as Barzal at any of those. He should be superior defensively, physically, while cycling and for positioning in general. His game is so much more responsible than Barzal's. They're both average to large Canadian centers that don't rely heavily on any one skill to produce. That's about where the similarities end for me.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I really do think he has the makings of a true 2 way center in a Larkin mold. Larkin's + strengths being skating and shooting where Danielson's is playmaking and defensive awareness. Larkin spent a lot of time learning how to utilize teammates to open up lanes to the net for himself. Danielson is going to have to learn to be a bit more selfish and go for the high percentage shots even if it seems like that perfect pass is available. Ray is going through this development now. Playmakers that ascend from being a good 2nd/3rd line tweener to a true top line guy have to develop that belief that in the crucial moment they want the puck on their stick. They have to realize that in the NHL your passing lanes only truly open if they know that you are a threat yourself. Even a guy as supremely talented as Pavel Datsyuk didn't take that next step until he started shooting more.

I'm excited for the Wings to have a true playmaking center again. We haven't really had one since Datsyuk.

Lots of great points that I agree with. I'm just not sure about the true play-maker part of it. He's more of a dual threat IMO. But I love the kind of player he already is. He's an elite skater, fearless puck carrier, great work ethic and awareness of what needs to be done defensively. An unselfish, team-first player. Very much like Larkin in a lot of ways. Like Larkin, I'm not sure there is any skill other than skating that would rank in a top X percentile. A little more self-confidence in his own skills, or as you say being selfish at the right times, might be important for him.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I think he'll be a great #3 who can fill in on the second line. I guess I don't see everything else everyone else does. I think he has a high floor and low ceiling. Watching Larkin post draft I was in constant awe of him, same for Seider, same for Raymond. I don't get that from Danielson.

• Haha
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think he'll be a great #3 who can fill in on the second line. I guess I don't see everything else everyone else does. I think he has a high floor and low ceiling. Watching Larkin post draft I was in constant awe of him, same for Seider, same for Raymond. I don't get that from Danielson.
Raymond? I didn’t see that tbh. What were you seeing from him?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Raymond? I didn’t see that tbh. What were you seeing from him?
Great question, admittedly, it was mostly highlight packages, but you saw a lot of get-up-and-go explosiveness, amazing hands, and a hell of a shot. I watched his highlights form his international tournaments and you could see this kid was a stud, even in the SHL highlight packages that were posted. Mind you, I was still on the Holtz train, but once we drafted Raymond, you could tell from the SHL and international games, he was going to be a stud.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

You also think the sun shines out of Filip Hronek's backside.
;)

You're telling me you don't see any parallels here between Larkin and Danielson?

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
you drinking the top shelf stuff

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I think if he keeps on his trajectory (which is a very good one imo) we could have a Robert Thomas type/impact center. Someone who can center a first line, but on a cup contender you want as your 2C, plays a 200 foot game, primarily a distributor but has a solid shot. It seems like the complaints with Danielson (and most of our pool) is that he won’t break any ankles. How many highlight reel type players out there really use their hands to control a game for 20 minutes a night? I think we all just miss Datsyuk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Danielson -> Kesler
Kasper -> hope he can be Eriksson Ek

Kesler's offense and hands were nowhere near as good as Danielson's at the same age. And he definitely wasn't as good a skater. They also defend in different ways. Danielson is very positionally sound and reads the passing lanes to break things up. Kesler was going to stick to his guy like superglue and make their life miserable.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Shades of Ryan Kesler
Kesler's offense and hands were nowhere near as good as Danielson's at the same age. And he definitely wasn't as good a skater. They also defend in different ways. Danielson is very positionally sound and reads the passing lanes to break things up. Kesler was going to stick to his guy like superglue and make their life miserable.
Bergeron is a better comparable for Danielson than Kesler IMO, at least stylistically. Kesler tended towards more chippy play which I haven't really seen from Danielson in my (admittedly limited) viewings. Agreed with @OgeeOgelthorpe about his positioning. He's just a quietly good player who makes a positive impact on the ice by virtue of consistently playing the right way. Nothing flashy, just excellent fundamentals.

I think Danielson ends up at minimum a 60 point player, but wouldn't be surprised to see him sprout into a Larkin clone putting up a point-per-game while providing responsible defensive play. I would be surprised with anything less than 60 points or anything more than PPG. Having a left-handed Larkin and right-handed Danielson will give the coach tons of options in his lineup. Add in Kasper as a 3C and that's some amazingly versatile centre depth.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Danielson is very positionally sound and reads the passing lanes to break things up. Kesler was going to stick to his guy like superglue and make their life miserable.
You mean like the comments from Bedard?

Bergeron is a better comparable for Danielson than Kesler IMO, at least stylistically. Kesler tended towards more chippy play which I haven't really seen from Danielson in my (admittedly limited) viewings. Agreed with @OgeeOgelthorpe about his positioning. He's just a quietly good player who makes a positive impact on the ice by virtue of consistently playing the right way. Nothing flashy, just excellent fundamentals.
Not sure if he has it in him or not, but hoping he gets more physical as he fills out and matures. We will see.

I also agree with others that Danielson has similarities to Larkin as well.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
You mean like the comments from Bedard?

Not sure if he has it in him or not, but hoping he gets more physical as he fills out and matures. We will see.

I didn't get to watch Danielson play against Bedard, but I did see Danielson play live in the WHL this past season a few times. I saw a very good defensive player that was breaking up cross ice passes, winning puck battles down low and reversing the flow of traffic on forechecks to help facilitate breakouts up ice. I didn't really notice him playing as the shadow.

Reactions: Realgud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I didn't get to watch Danielson play against Bedard, but I did see Danielson play live in the WHL this past season a few times. I saw a very good defensive player that was breaking up cross ice passes, winning puck battles down low and reversing the flow of traffic on forechecks to help facilitate breakouts up ice. I didn't really notice him playing as the shadow.
I don't know, I think you are getting overly granular with this. I don't think Kesler was necessarily only what you are saying he was. He had that in his game. He also contributed quite a bit on offense at certain times in his career.

At a high level, I think there are some rhymes between Danielson and Kesler. From a size, skating, 200 ft game perspective, etc. It remains to be seen if Danielson adds more physicality to his game and will asked to shadow players at the pro level. I think hearing from a guy like Bedard that Danielson is the guy he least liked going against would suggest he could thrive in that kind of role.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I don't know, I think you are getting overly granular with this. I don't think Kesler was necessarily only what you are saying he was. He had that in his game. He also contributed quite a bit on offense at certain times in his career.

At a high level, I think there are some rhymes between Danielson and Kesler. From a size, skating, 200 ft game perspective, etc. It remains to be seen if Danielson adds more physicality to his game and will asked to shadow players at the pro level. I think hearing from a guy like Bedard that Danielson is the guy he least liked going against would suggest he could thrive in that kind of role.

Kesler wasn't ONLY a shadow, but it's what won him a selke and built his reputation. He developed into a good scorer and a core piece of both the Canucks and the Ducks. I can see greater things for Danielson than becoming another Ryan Kesler.

Another way to look at Bedard's statement is this; Danielson elevates his game based on who he's playing against, the importance of the game, etc.

Danielson was probably the best player in the WHL playoffs and carried his team on a nightly basis. He was really doing it all.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

I'm generally of the opinion that physicality is more of an inherent trait than a learned one. Physical play is as much mental as it is physical. That's not to say a player's physicality can't be improved, but it needs to be building on a mental foundation that's already there. There are countless examples of teams trying to cultivate that element in a player to no avail,. Kindl had good size but playing physical was just not in his wiring. Rasmussen is another one, he has all the physical tools but playing that way is clearly just not something that comes naturally to him. Then you look at a Kesler, or Tkachuk, or Marchand, and you see that element as a natural part of their game. Sure they can refine that element in terms of timing and impact, but they don't need be told to do it in the first place. In other words, you can teach a player how to throw a body check, but you can't teach them to want to throw a body check.

So I find it unlikely that Danielson would develop that particular element to his game if he hasn't really displayed it thus far. I agree with your other comparisons to Kesler, in terms of excellent 1v1 defense for example, but considering that physical chippiness was a pretty important aspect of Kesler's overall game I wouldn't say he's the best overall comparison. That's where Bergeron fits in for me as a stylistic comparison. Right-handed, quietly competent, makes the right play, excellent defensive IQ, and consistent commitment + effort.

Kasper, on the other hand, I can see developing into a Kesler-like player. Assuming he remains a centre with the Red Wings. He has that dog in him.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

This is the part for me that rendered that comment. While Kesler had pest qualities that Kasper has his crucial defensive plus areas where faceoffs, using his size and speed to mirror opponents and take away space. I do see Danielson hacking and whacking occasionally, I think that is there.

His defensive style translates well to the NHL. Always above the puck, always steering play, that was a hallmark of Kesler.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm generally of the opinion that physicality is more of an inherent trait than a learned one. Physical play is as much mental as it is physical. That's not to say a player's physicality can't be improved, but it needs to be building on a mental foundation that's already there. There are countless examples of teams trying to cultivate that element in a player to no avail,. Kindl had good size but playing physical was just not in his wiring. Rasmussen is another one, he has all the physical tools but playing that way is clearly just not something that comes naturally to him. Then you look at a Kesler, or Tkachuk, or Marchand, and you see that element as a natural part of their game. Sure they can refine that element in terms of timing and impact, but they don't need be told to do it in the first place. In other words, you can teach a player how to throw a body check, but you can't teach them to want to throw a body check.

So I find it unlikely that Danielson would develop that particular element to his game if he hasn't really displayed it thus far. I agree with your other comparisons to Kesler, in terms of excellent 1v1 defense for example, but considering that physical chippiness was a pretty important aspect of Kesler's overall game I wouldn't say he's the best overall comparison. That's where Bergeron fits in for me as a stylistic comparison. Right-handed, quietly competent, makes the right play, excellent defensive IQ, and consistent commitment + effort.

Kasper, on the other hand, I can see developing into a Kesler-like player. Assuming he remains a centre with the Red Wings. He has that dog in him.
At lower levels a lot of guys are a lot less physical. They need to show a willingness to engage. While yes Kasper relishes that element almost in a way that reminds me of Landeskog at a young age. He is one of the more physical guys to go in the top 10 with the talent and not a reach in a while so I love that element.

But a bunch of players, especially key players are often told not to engage in this aspect. The coach understands the significance of keeping them on ice. What you look for is compete in battles, a frame to build and a hockey sense that shows when they close the door or are physical. I think Danielson passes this test and I look forward as he tops 200lbs how much more physical he becomes. I firmly believe that is in there.

I do agree that most overtly physical guys show it very early on. In that sense I have little doubt Kasper is going to be a very physical guy. MBN also shows this upside. Not surprisingly both of them have grown up in men’s leagues where showing you’re physically capable wasn’t discouraged. It is one of the advantage to the European model especially as some of the more physical areas of North American hockey have been discouraged in the junior and youth ranks. A key indicator for me is the acceleration in physicality once you reach NCAA hockey as an example. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The best part of the debate is we are looking at winning 200 ft hockey. Yes these names are all very optimistic. The style of play though is what reliably lead to winning hockey. You can see elements that translate to the highest levels and most crucial elements of where games are decided.

Nice to talk high level hockey tendancies with zero personal attacks, the original purpose of this board. Great discussion guys/gals. Really excited we probably start seeing them as soon as this year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The best part of the debate is we are looking at winning 200 ft hockey. Yes these names are all very optimistic. The style of play though is what reliably lead to winning hockey. You can see elements that translate to the highest levels and most crucial elements of where games are decided.

Nice to talk high level hockey tendancies with zero personal attacks, the original purpose of this board. Great discussion guys/gals. Really excited we probably start seeing them as soon as this year.
While I don't disagree with the sentiment, isn't "Ball Hockey Sucks" a personal attack on a former poster? :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad