Prospect Info: #98 Nikita Popugaev (RW)

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Wow he was ranked in the 1st round in preseason.

Wasn't he top 20 on some lists out there? McKenzie had him high early this year iirc.

I remember seeing him around the 15-20 range on a good number of early season rankings.

Some specific numbers would be:

Future Considerations had him at 21 in their Preliminary Rankings this season (https://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-preliminary-ranking-2017-nhl-draft/)

ISS had him at 12 in their October Ranking (http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-october-2016-1/)

McKeens had him at 17 in their February Ranking (https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-march-2017-nhl-draft-rankings/)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Absolutely the kind of pick you love in this round. He was a pretty sure-fire first rounder last summer, definitely worth a chance.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Even after a weird year he was projected to go in the 2nd round. Fun draft. Did not expect such a high amount of European/Russian selections.

It's funny too when you consider all the US connections Shero and Fitzgerald have. It's definitely nice to see though. Our Euro scouting was weak-to-nonexistent for a long time up until recently.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
It's funny too when you consider all the US connections Shero and Fitzgerald have. It's definitely nice to see though. Our Euro scouting was weak-to-nonexistent for a long time up until recently.

Josh Harris and co have deeper pockets than previous ownership and Castron brought on Niklas Evertsson (European scouting) so he probably trusts him quite a bit.

But three of the Euro picks were playing in NA (Hischier, Popugaev, Studenic).

It's nice to see though

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
800559196.0.jpg

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
This is a very intriguing pick. Hopefully he can put it all together and we would have a hell of a player. It's going to be fun keeping tabs on this kid next season.

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
I like what Castron said. Hopefully being picked 98th when he has first round talent will be a wakeup call that helps to fix the effort piece.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I think he needs to do like Zacha and fire Walsh. Why would Walsh allow Pop to request/demand a trade from a team he was performing well with? Also, if there is truth about him leaving the WHL to go to Russia, then that's another mark against Walsh. He isn't doing a very good job of advising the kid. I guess if he can have a good role on a KHL squad, then go for it, but anything less than a top-6/9 role in the KHL is a downgrade from first line minutes on a WHL team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think he needs to do like Zacha and fire Walsh. Why would Walsh allow Pop to request/demand a trade from a team he was performing well with? Also, if there is truth about him leaving the WHL to go to Russia, then that's another mark against Walsh. He isn't doing a very good job of advising the kid. I guess if he can have a good role on a KHL squad, then go for it, but anything less than a top-6/9 role in the KHL is a downgrade from first line minutes on a WHL team.

Did this actually happen?

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Did this actually happen?

Yes, in 2014 before Zacha came to NA. Sarnia drafted Zacha first overall in the Import Draft and Walsh ranted on twitter about how thy shouldn't have done that. Zacha decided to fire Walsh and go to Sarnia. Hired Stefan after the fact.

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
I live in Prince George, and so I've seen Popugaev play a lot when I've gone to watch my local junior hockey team (Cougars).

Now, you could look at his mid-season trade away from Moose Jaw as odd, since contending teams sitting near the top of the standings don't usually trade away one of their top scorers. We in PG were happy to receive him, though, since we sat at the top of our division for most of the year (ultimately, we did finish the regular season at 1st in our division). Of note, his scoring rate in the 2nd-half of the season (after the trade) was lower than the 1st-half.

Was it a question of effort (ie, the "lazy Russian" trope)? Or was it just a case of him still trying to adjust to a new city, with a new system and a new coach and new teammates? It will be interesting to see how he plays for the Cougars this upcoming season, now that he'll get to work with our coaches and players right from the get-go.

Also, the kid's still only 18 (he doesn't even turn 19 until after the season starts). And I can tell you, despite his age, he is massive. He's already 6'6" and if he can sort through those issues that caused him to fall into the 4th round, I'd say you've got a solid chance of turning him into an NHL-er. And really, considering the vast majority of 4th-round picks never amount to anything anyway, why not take a gamble on Popugaev's upside at 98th overall?

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
This is my favorite pick besides Nico. Great tools his shot is absolutely lethal. If he puts effort into developing his fame he's gonna be great. Read somewhere a while back that he has 40g potential

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Very intresting player, I absolutly start to think of Malkin when I see him from the little I have seen. It is off course a very long shoot that he would be as good or even remotly close to as good, but still a intresting player to follow.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This was such a great pick. 6-6 with a nasty shot and 1st round talent...If he just works on his skating and adds some physicality to his game...who knows what he can become? I love these boom or bust projects in the late rounds.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A couple of my best friends live up in Seattle, so I like to visit and drag them to Seattle Thunderbirds games. WHL schedule was released today, so I'm debating inviting myself up when Popugaev/Prince George come to town. I've been meaning to check out Portland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad