GDT: #9 | Canadiens at Flyers | Sunday, October 27, 2024 | 7:00 PM | NBCSP, 93.3 FM

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I think Comcast is more loyal to the money than Torts and they don’t want people tuning out and their bottom line being hurt

People ARE tuning out. I was at the game and there were at least 5000 empty seats if not more.

Habs are so much more skilled than us

And that’s without Slafkovsky and Laine playing. Yeesh.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some of the takes around here . . .

The worst line tonight was the best yesterday, go figure.

This team scored 7 against the best defensive team in the NHL then 3 against the worst.
Funny game.

Kolosov discovered the game isn't as easy as he thought it would be in Minsk.

I'll stand by my pre-season, they could finish anywhere between 10th and 20th.
To finish worse than tenth, goalies would have to be this bad all season.
To make the POs, they'd have to be much better.

Andrae made a good showing, Zamula may not see the ice until York returns, and even then . . .
Sanheim - Risto had another solid game.
York - Sanheim
Andrae - Risto
Seeler - Drysdale

Either Drysdale raises his game or at some point they have to cut his minutes.
If Risto keeps playing this well, there may be a market at the TDL.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Andrae made a good showing, Zamula may not see the ice until York returns, and even then . . .
Not even in your wildest dreams! Zamula is clearly one of Torts' guys - he sat out in what will be titled one of those watch from the rafters type of lean back and learn, reset games. I'd bet he will be back the next game.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Welcome to the 800 club, Aleksei! You'll fit in nicely.

Ersson, .872
Kolosov, .833
Fedotov, .821

Watched two periods.

Michkov seemed to have an off night, several poor passing choices and turn overs, soft on the puck.

The team as a whole is soft on the puck and the defensive lapses are one after another.

Is Caufield worth a York and a Brink? Quality over quantity.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Going back through some of those goals, man, Kolosov really did not have the defense and definitely didn't have the luck. Also, the 2nd goal should have been considered a kick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Going back through some of those goals, man, Kolosov really did not have the defense and definitely didn't have the luck. Also, the 2nd goal should have been considered a kick.
The third goal was definitely on him, and he was slow to get across the net on the 4th goal.
The first two, not much chance of stopping them.

I think they "shot their wad" in the Minnesota game, a physical game against a really good forechecking team. Against Montreal, they looked a step slow.

The Flyers have gotten faster, but they also need to get more physical, they lose too many puck battles and struggle to make plays in dirty areas - some is hands, some is not handling contact well n crowds. It's a balance, you don't want to be big and slow, but you also don't want to be small b/c in the playoffs you'll run into talented teams that can knock you off the puck on a regular basis.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

0ecd79ca-713e-46f7-a997-ca3097f04a42.jpeg

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Meltzer from hockeybuzz. I wonder how much Torts spewing this crap led to passing on buium:

Today @ 9:11 AM ET
The Flyers were never going to repeat their 3 goals on 6 SOG from the other night. Andrae's play makes you wonder why he couldn't get out of the press box earlier in the season.
- Flyers_01

I was told by someone in hockey ops that Tortorella did not want "go too small on D" with three small/smallish D. York and Drysdale are in the lineup, so that squeezed out Andrae when he was called up. Right now with York out, though, there's an opportunity for Andrae. He was a bright spot last night.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Meltzer from hockeybuzz. I wonder how much Torts spewing this crap led to passing on buium:

The Flyers were never going to repeat their 3 goals on 6 SOG from the other night. Andrae's play makes you wonder why he couldn't get out of the press box earlier in the season.
- Flyers_01

I was told by someone in hockey ops that Tortorella did not want "go too small on D" with three small/smallish D. York and Drysdale are in the lineup, so that squeezed out Andrae when he was called up. Right now with York out, though, there's an opportunity for Andrae. He was a bright spot last night.
Well i'm definitely going to look forward to this being handwaved away... again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

- Flyers_01

Zamula also plays small b/c while tall, he lacks leverage.
And E Johnson is simply better as a RHD.
So it was always going to be Andrae v Zamula.

Big D-men have value, just look at smaller D-men trying to move opposing forwards out of the crease, a lot of goals against the Flyers have been due to screens and deflections. A smaller player has to be really good and smart (b/c a lot of penalties come from bad stickwork) with their stick to compensate for lack of size.

Ideally, you have some D who are big and skilled, but those are hard to find.
Second best solution is to pair smaller skilled D-man with a big mugger who can at least skate and clear the D-zone.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Some of the takes around here . . .

The worst line tonight was the best yesterday, go figure.

This team scored 7 against the best defensive team in the NHL then 3 against the worst.
Funny game.

Kolosov discovered the game isn't as easy as he thought it would be in Minsk.

I'll stand by my pre-season, they could finish anywhere between 10th and 20th.
To finish worse than tenth, goalies would have to be this bad all season.
To make the POs, they'd have to be much better.

York - Sanheim
Andrae - Risto
Seeler - Drysdale

Either Drysdale raises his game or at some point they have to cut his minutes.
If Risto keeps playing this well, there may be a market at the TDL.
GM's know what he brings to the table. His value will not change. I highly doubt their perception will change. He would be a very last resort type trade if that.

He been ok. Nothing more. Also if he continues to play "well" the Flyers will be less inclined to move him don't you think? Seeing they have no one ready to replace him anytime soon.

Reactions: BernieParent

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Then what do you do? Call up Cal to be the backup? Recall that Finn they signed.

I will assume one of the Russians will be the backup.
Of course one of the two will remain the backup. The point is that neither are ready and both would benefit by playing consistently in the AHL.

The Flyers are missing at least one NHL level goaltender.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Of course one of the two will remain the backup. The point is that neither are ready and both would benefit by playing consistently in the AHL.

The Flyers are missing at least one NHL level goaltender.
We all knew that was never going to be an option.

Wonder what feedback the 2 CO-GM's got from their goalie coach and the analytics dept in regard to Ivan.

MayonnaiseOreo

Undiagnosed Everything
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
People ARE tuning out. I was at the game and there were at least 5000 empty seats if not more.
I could see it at the Caps game on Wednesday night. There are usually tons of fans in DC when the Flyers are in town but the arena was maybe around 70% capacity with a few small areas of Flyers fans. Nobody wants to pay money to see these bums play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad