GDT: 9/30/24 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida [Preseason Game 4]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Geekie and Groshev should be 1st call ups, but unless both Glendening and Ace are going to miss multiple games, I doubt either is on the opening day roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them playing with the team at some point this seaaon.
Isn't Eyessimont going to be out for a bit?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's our only hope of offense in the bottom 6 or possibly on the 2nd line, lots of offensive creativity.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa won't waste 850k of cap space by waiving Sheary now, unless.a team seems interested in claiming him. Geekie will likely get some seasoning in Syracuse, and if he's as good there as advertised, he'll be up soon in place of someone who is struggling and the team can realistically afford to send down or lose to.waivers. Tampa isn't a team that usually allows a prospect to bypass Syracuse entirely, and I doubt they rush Geekie either. 3 games against mostly less than average opposition isn't really enough to give him.a spot. He'll be with the team soon enough, but Atkinaon and Sheary aren't losing their spots to start the season barring injury or some unusual circumstances.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If Tampa did decide to roll with the young guys, I'd hope they committed to it fully and just waive Sheary in order to keep all three of Goncalves, Geekie and either Brown or Groshev up. They could roll with the following lines:
Guentzel-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Geekie
Eyssimont-Paul-Atkinson
Girgensons-Glendening-Goncalves
Chaffee and one of Brown/Groshev also likely mixing in
I doubt they go this route, at least not to start the year, as Cooper usually goes with the vets and more experienced players over unproven rookies, but maybe.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
If Geekie makes the team, it's probably going to be on a lower line. Point first made the team as a winger on the third line and scored 18 goals. Stamkos started on our fourth line. I remember he broke our rookie goal scoring record off an assist by fourth liner Zenon Konopka (who actually made a great play). Kucherov also played on our third line as a rookie, same with Palat, TJ and Killorn. Cooper seems to want to see his rookies, even our prized ones, earn their scoring time and prove they can play the defensive side first.

Our hole at 2RW would be the only reason I see him breaking that pattern, but I think for opening night and at least a while after that, Cooper will try a vet like Atkinson until they prove they prove beyond a doubt they can't do it.

Geekie shows a lot of promise, but he still might not be ready to be our 2nd line savior. I remember Kucherov scored a pretty goal every preseason game he played his rookie year, but struggled to finish in the regular season games, scoring only 9 in 52 games. He frequently got breakaways that year, but just couldn't finish.

I'd like to see Geekie dominate in Syracuse for maybe 20-30 games, and then bring him up. That's what they did with Kuch - he started on Syracuse and scored 13 goals in 17 goals and was promptly brought up.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If Geekie makes the team, it's probably going to be on a lower line. Point first made the team as a winger on the third line and scored 18 goals. Stamkos started on our fourth line. I remember he broke our rookie goal scoring record off an assist by fourth liner Zenon Konopka (who actually made a great play). Kucherov also played on our third line as a rookie, same with Palat, TJ and Killorn. Cooper seems to want to see his rookies, even our prized ones, earn their scoring time and prove they can play the defensive side first.

Our hole at 2RW would be the only reason I see him breaking that pattern, but I think for opening night and at least a while after that, Cooper will try a vet like Atkinson until they prove they prove beyond a doubt they can't do it.

Geekie shows a lot of promise, but he still might not be ready to be our 2nd line savior. I remember Kucherov scored a pretty goal every preseason game he played his rookie year, but struggled to finish in the regular season games, scoring only 9 in 52 games. He frequently got breakaways that year, but just couldn't finish.

I'd like to see Geekie dominate in Syracuse for maybe 20-30 games, and then bring him up. That's what they did with Kuch - he started on Syracuse and scored 13 goals in 17 goals and was promptly brought up.
Stamkos's rookie season was under very different circumstances.

Anything before the Cooper (BC) sort of doesn't count for much more than comparison.

edit: It's come to my attention that BC is already in use to discuss years, so I propose the alternative Before Cooper Era (BCE).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad