Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PS 7 - Red Wings 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Urho looked really good. Really impressed with him thus far.

I hope Cehlarik is able to stay healthy and the Bs have good enough sense to put him on the roster come opening night. I've liked what I've seen of him in previous short stints with the team, and have very much liked what I've seen out of him this preseason. He has the potential to be an excellent NHLer.

Yes. But like Glory stated...skating still is wip

Very mediocre on the defensive end. Like a sec too late. Cassidy still may keep him as none of the other young prospects have been able to stand out. Cehlarik has more nhl experience under his belt

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I only got to see the third period (gonna be a common theme for me I think), but one thing I noticed was that Steve Kampfer actually looked like a serviceable defenseman. Not gonna say he was "impressive", but he was solid enough for me to take notice.

Looks like a million bucks compared to Postma. Will be a nice 7th or 8th D

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I only got to see the third period (gonna be a common theme for me I think), but one thing I noticed was that Steve Kampfer actually looked like a serviceable defenseman. Not gonna say he was "impressive", but he was solid enough for me to take notice.
Should be much more reliable than postma's play last season

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Work on what? He is already better at certain things than half of the staring Ds. Even a blind man could see it. He just lacks nhl experience and dealing with the grind. Though you can say he already has pro experience under his belt

Well, first of all, there is no room for him on D unless they trade Gryz. Krug is too important to the overall success of this team and I am not convinced Moore can step into that role if they move him right now. Pardon my apparent blindness but I see a good prospect that is not ready enough to take a job from a vet yet. On a lesser team, he is playing on opening night. But he is still 19 and has things to work on. He was impressive, but not flawless. Tell me, do you think Urho was so good tonight that Sweeney would be forced to start making calls around the league to move a defenseman to make room for him? He was good, tonight, but not THAT good.

Reactions: b in vancouver

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I cannot really comment tonite cause turned it off but I did peek at box scores of Habs and Leafs and saw 4 p.p goals and 2 shorties.Seems like the League is really helping the outcomes already with the steady power plays.Hard product to watch like that.

Reactions: Krupp

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2018-9-26_22-2-50.png

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

I was expecting a vet that would pass waivers through to Providence that could mentor our young D. He has looked like a serviceable NHL D so far. I would put him at 8th behind Gryz, assuming he does not get snagged off waivers. Don is not going to dress 8 D.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Well, first of all, there is no room for him on D unless they trade Gryz. Krug is too important to the overall success of this team and I am not convinced Moore can step into that role if they move him right now. Pardon my apparent blindness but I see a good prospect that is not ready enough to take a job from a vet yet. On a lesser team, he is playing on opening night. But he is still 19 and has things to work on. He was impressive, but not flawless. Tell me, do you think Urho was so good tonight that Sweeney would be forced to start making calls around the league to move a defenseman to make room for him? He was good, tonight, but not THAT good.

One would assume he's the one getting calls. Gryz would draw lots of attention

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Finally got to see a preseason game!

Was impressed with Urho. He won't make the team, but he isn't going to need 2-3 AHL seasons either. Pretty safe bet to play in the NHL at same capacity, probably sooner than later.

Krug looked rusty.

Between JFK and Frederic, Frederic was much more noticeable. JFK is Providence bound, he got little accomplished tonight.

A Moore-McAvoy pairing to start off might not be a bad idea. Thought both looked good, McAvoy was excellent.

Don't let the Stempniak goal fool you. Outside of that he was a step behind the play and made many mistakes with the puck on his stick. This place was livid when they signed Gionta last year. Signing Stempniak now is just repeating that mistake.

Winnik was decent again. Depending on how many D they carry, if it's 7 then signing Winnik to a 1-year deal at small money I can see happening now with Nordstrom injured.

I thought Backes looked a step quicker. Was 70% in the dot at one point Jack said. I don't see any reason he can't play center on the 3rd line.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Cmon he was that good. And he didnt make a mistake. Sound plays ...from knowing when to reverse the puck, when to carry the puck...even joining the rush and creating a dangerous opportunity late in the game.

Defensively I really like his positioning and stickwork. Saw him a few times sneak the stick in between a few legs in front of the net , to prevent a clean shot. Very good iq. Stood up a few guys too to prevent entry.

This said lets see what happens on Sat next...

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
One would assume he's the one getting calls. Gryz would draw lots of attention

I figure he wouldn't because GMs would just assume he would be rotated in and out of the line-up. That's an impressive depth at D when you can rest one of your top 6 one or two games a week. But yeah, I would not be surprised to hear call rumors out there before seasons start. I don't think Donny bites though unless the offer is very good. I think UV is better served playing in Providence than getting limited time in the big club. Injuries will give opportunities.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Finally got to see a preseason game!

Was impressed with Urho. He won't make the team, but he isn't going to need 2-3 AHL seasons either. Pretty safe bet to play in the NHL at same capacity, probably sooner than later.

Krug looked rusty.

Between JFK and Frederic, Frederic was much more noticeable. JFK is Providence bound, he got little accomplished tonight.

A Moore-McAvoy pairing to start off might not be a bad idea. Thought both looked good, McAvoy was excellent.

Don't let the Stempniak goal fool you. Outside of that he was a step behind the play and made many mistakes with the puck on his stick. This place was livid when they signed Gionta last year. Signing Stempniak now is just repeating that mistake.

Winnik was decent again. Depending on how many D they carry, if it's 7 then signing Winnik to a 1-year deal at small money I can see happening now with Nordstrom injured.

I thought Backes looked a step quicker. Was 70% in the dot at one point Jack said. I don't see any reason he can't play center on the 3rd line.

Man, I’m not seeing the same stuff you are with Stempniak.. Maybe tonight wasn’t his game but he’s looked solid the last few.

I agree with Frederic/JFK. Although I’d still like to see them look elsewhere for a third/fourth line guy.

Cehlarik and urho were my favs tonight

Last edited:

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Before this pre-season the D prospects were not looking very good. Combine that with the fact we have to resign McAvoy and Carlo soon with Krug going to get a big payday and we need someone to step in an take Krugs role if he goes FA. I think Sweeney was smartly covering his bases. If the kids on D were looking terrible right now everyone would be praising Sweeney.

I liked it at first but seeing Zboril and Vaakanainen this close it’s frustrating. The contract can be moved but Sweeney won’t trade him now lol.

There just wasn’t a need for him. If you thought those guys weren’t going to do it, you shouldn’t have drafted them. You need to give them an opportunity, and Moore stops that.

It also wasn’t as though Gryz was in capable. Just really blocking guys unnecessarily.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Cehlarik and Stempniak had a decent game

Nothing special from the fourth line.

Defensemen: Brandon Carlo, John Moore, Urho Vaakanainen- played very well

Jaroslav Halak- just okay

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Work on what? He is already better at certain things than half of the staring Ds. Even a blind man could see it. He just lacks nhl experience and dealing with the grind. Though you can say he already has pro experience under his belt

UV was certainly impressive tonight, which bodes well for his future, but it was one game. He has no North American experience. If he’s tearing it up after 40 games in the AHL, then maybe you think about making a move. Even then I would rather have an extra D in case of injuries, and feel comfortable knowing that UV could come up and fill in.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
There just wasn’t a need for him. If you thought those guys weren’t going to do it, you shouldn’t have drafted them. You need to give them an opportunity, and Moore stops that.

It also wasn’t as though Gryz was in capable. Just really blocking guys unnecessarily.

Wait, so you know how good a player is going to be the entirety of his career as well as the length of his development arc when he is 18 or younger?
Someone hire this man as a scout! He will be the greatest sports scout in human history!

Gryz is fine, the Moore signing has nothing to do with Gryz and everything to do with Krug leaving. Moore will take over for Krug and Gryz will take Moore's spot. No one until this month though that any of our young D would push for a D spot on the big club.
As I said before, if Urho, Lauzon, Axel, and Zboril played meh during the pre-season this would not be an argument.
Noone fore-saw this. Sweeney was preparing for this next year and the year afterward, smartly.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

SO...if the team doesn't think these guys are gonna do it for them...now...they shouldn't have drafted them several years ago? What sort of logic is that?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Moore does nothing of the sort.

Chara is 41.

Krug doesn’t kill penalties. Grizz doesn’t kill penalties. Miller kills penalties, but he’s not exactly what I would call durable. The B’s wanted another guy that was mobile and could work on the PK, lessening the load on Chara, which is what Moore can do.

UV was an unknown commodity that has never played North American hockey. It would have been comical to see the reaction here if Sweeney had relied on UV to be a regular and he wasn’t ready. People are already freaking out about the 3C spot.

He’s 19, on his ELC, and it’s not going to hurt him to play a year in the AHL. If anything, it will do him a ton of good. One preseason game and there is now a dialogue that UV is being “blocked”.

This place is classic.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Wait, so you know how good a player is going to be the entirety of his career as well as the length of his development arc when he is 18 or younger?
Someone hire this man as a scout! He will be the greatest sports scout in human history!

Gryz is fine, the Moore signing has nothing to do with Gryz and everything to do with Krug leaving. Moore will take over for Krug and Gryz will take Moore's spot. No one until this month though that any of our young D would push for a D spot on the big club.
As I said before, if Urho, Lauzon, Axel, and Zboril played meh during the pre-season this would not be an argument.
Noone fore-saw this. Sweeney was preparing for this next year and the year afterward, smartly.

No I clearly dont know what these guys are going to be become. LHD may be our biggest strength. Moore is a borderline top 4 guy. I hope he works out, but I don’t think it happens.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No I clearly dont know what these guys are going to be become. LHD may be our biggest strength. Moore is a borderline top 4 guy. I hope he works out, but I don’t think it happens.

What happens when Chara retires and Krug leaves because the B’s aren’t going to pay him? Will Moore still be blocking guys then?

You appear to be taking a very short-sighted view of the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad