GDT: 9/15 - Preseason - Coyotes vs. Kings (split squad)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Liked what I saw for the most part. Giving up the 2 early goals was not fun, but we bounced back nicely.

Domi is going to be a stud in this league. He has great vision with the puck and showed some nice defensive prowess, especially on the PK blocking some shots. He got shafted though on his shot attempts, hitting the post on one and getting robbed the LA netminder there in the 3rd.

Ribeiro is a beaut. Nice to have a guy that can set you up in open space and keep a play alive.

Lessio and Murphy also impressed me, especially the latter. Murphy really controlled the blue line on offense and made his presence known physically as well.

Oh, and **** Jordan Nolan.
I second all of this, it's all I've been talking about to people tonight. Except maybe the part about Ribs- the only great contributions I noticed were some slick passes on PP.

I hadn't paid much attention to Lessio or Murphy before, but they both looked damn good. Made a great first impression on me.

The Hanz to Domi to Hanz to Yands SH goal was bloody gorgeous. Like... the exact opposite of Yandle and Morris each leaving the puck for each other on the blue line, leading to a breakaway and LA's second goal.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Good game in Phoenix after a really bad start... 2 goals, 2 or 3 penalties, and then the hit on Klesla. After, they turned it around really well. I'm glad I went.

The crowd was thin but it was about the same 2 years ago when I went the preseason game of Sharks @ Coyotes.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
nice to see some love for Rundblad, Murphy, and Lessio.

Rundblad I'm a fan of his skill level (as you all know by now) just not a fan of his decision making (at times) as he has taken a bit of team to adjust to the speed of the pro style game and smaller rink surface.

Murphy I've touted for years. I was a huge fan of this selection years ago and I'm glad that everyone else is now seeing the same upside I saw with this kid.

Lessio is a competitor with speed. Still think he needs some AHL time but he may be closer than I had thought.

It's nice to have a full cupboard of talented prospects. Beats the days when I was trying to make claims that Robert Esche was better than Patrick Desrochers....

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yandle played 34:38
Murphy played 20:27
Domi played 19:07
Summers played 22:12

I'll take 'players who are being evaluated' for 500 Alex.

Just waiting for someone to say that those 34 minutes Yandle played were "protected" minutes.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do you disagree that Tippett generally gives Yandle easier minutes?

I agree that Tippett utilizes his best offensive Defenseman in situations where he is best capable to create offense. Keep in mind this has been a team largely without any offense due in large part to a lack of skill; especially up front.

I think people tend to confuse this situation in believing Yandle is incapable of playing "difficult" minutes. The fact is "he can" but Tippett elects to do otherwise to capitalize on his offensive abilities.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles

Who cares? If he scores a goal and assists on two others, I couldn't care less about the Corsi factor and whether those were 'protected' minutes or a result of starts in the offensive-zone.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The game here was cool and all, but in LA, our B roster kicked the **** out of LAs better roster... That game is more impressive.

A roster players are not playing as hard for a spot and are often going through the motions, as opposed to the B roster that is working like hell to secure a spot. I think the impressive thing (other than some of the individual play we saw) is that we won both and that is a tribute to our depth.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Yandle certainly didn't play easy minutes during his 59 point breakout season 3 years ago. He even averaged 43 seconds on the PK every game. http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usag...el&yAxis=relQoc&update-filters=Update+Results.

Have no problems with Tippett giving Yandle easier minutes in order to maximize his offensive talent. But as far as I'm concerned, Yandle has already proven he can produce while playing harder minutes.

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Insulin swings can make you wildly sick and Domi might not have his routine dialed in, having never faced this sort of situation before. Just my take, based on my experience. rt is welcome to give his take. Just nobody get on Domi's case about partying the night before or anything like that. Utter nonsense.

:laugh:

I think after this second time - I'm out!

Seriously, y'all need to relax a little. I can't imagine young Domi reading these threads, so it's doubtful I was getting on HIS case. :shakehead

It's odd though that this has happened again. Of the diabetics I've know (and my brother is one), I've not known this to happen. Could it be the celiac disease? I would think that just staying away from the gluten would work, but who knows? I only know one person with celiac disease and that surfaced in the joints rather than the digestive system, but the removal of gluten removed the symptoms.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I agree that Tippett utilizes his best offensive Defenseman in situations where he is best capable to create offense. Keep in mind this has been a team largely without any offense due in large part to a lack of skill; especially up front.

I think people tend to confuse this situation in believing Yandle is incapable of playing "difficult" minutes. The fact is "he can" but Tippett elects to do otherwise to capitalize on his offensive abilities.

I mostly agree. Yandle will never be a shutdown guy, but he's world's better than Oleg Tverdovsky or Deron Quint, and the minutes he gets are far more a function of his offensive proficiency than any defensive deficiency.

That said, it's definitely worth noting that he gets easier minutes. Aside from all the powerplay time (roughly 3:30 per game each of the last two years and 4:00 the year before that), his even strength shifts started in the offensive zone 60% of the time last year (fourth on the team among everyday players) and 55% the year before that. It's inarguable that he plays well in those minutes, but I think the argument goes that if he were a true #1 defenseman, he'd be playing tougher minutes, and his numbers would go down as a result. Still, when you dig a little, his stats aren't far off from the Karlssons, Subbans and Letangs of the world.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Yandle certainly didn't play easy minutes during his 59 point breakout season 3 years ago. He even averaged 43 seconds on the PK every game. http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usag...el&yAxis=relQoc&update-filters=Update+Results.

Have no problems with Tippett giving Yandle easier minutes in order to maximize his offensive talent. But as far as I'm concerned, Yandle has already proven he can produce while playing harder minutes.

True, but he was also getting a ton of minutes, and I don't think this "proves" he can play harder minutes. Keep in mind that 26 of those 59 points came on the powerplay.

More importantly, though, no player other than OEL (who was a rookie at the time and played only 48 games) had a higher percentage of offensive zone starts, and Yandle's relative Corsi was only 1.7. Compare that to 8.1 in 11-12 and 8 this past season.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Who cares? If he scores a goal and assists on two others, I couldn't care less about the Corsi factor and whether those were 'protected' minutes or a result of starts in the offensive-zone.

Let's say you run a vacuum cleaner business. Two of your traveling salesman come back from a day on the road having sold the exact same number of vacuum cleaners. But one of them had been in densely packed condos in an affluent neighborhood while the other one had been out in a more rural area, where the houses are far more spread out and the income level is generally lower. All else being equal, one of your salesmen was able to accomplish the same thing with much tougher circumstances. The next time you can only send one of them out, your decision is much easier.

This is why purely results-oriented analytics are dumb. Let's say you suddenly have to clear $5 million in cap space, and you have two defensemen making exactly $5 million coming off 45-point seasons. If you're looking only at the point totals, it's a coin flip. But if you look deeper and see the one player had fewer minutes, a smaller percentage of offensive zone starts, higher Corsi, better quality of competition, etc., you can make a much more educated decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad