Post-Game Talk: 8 and oh, baby. Jets win 5-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Its been every game since his first one back from injury.

Re Ville, fair enough.
My point stands Mort - he's going to get a few games (maybe even more than 3!) coming off an injury.
He's been fine considering he's coming back from knee surgery - I think he gets a few more and we'll see how it goes from there.
He's certainly not losing us games :sarcasm:

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
He has upped his D zone game a couple of notches, at least. He was really outstanding backchecking on 1 shift in particular that I noticed.

He did that for a while last year too, and then regressed to the mean. If he keeps this up we will be able to stop complaining about the 81/55 combo. :thumbu:

Why do you assume that?

Are you assuming a TML win?
Nah. I thought it was on Sportsnet so I was preparing to watch it on mute. Curious to see what the Amazon team is like.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pionk has been our best defenseman so far this season. So would have thought that would be true and we'd be 8-0

Samberg has been good too but he struggled last night.

Demelo has struggled and Morrissey has been good but nowhere near his best. They'll be fine

The bottom pair has played just fine for a bottom pair. I don't know how Stan gets pushed off the puck so much - that should be one of his 'strengths'

Connor is playing a 200 for game and his best as a pro. That shot is so lethal. Schiefele has more to give, and Vilardi is still in tc.

Second line is really starting to click. I love their makeup and now that the chemistry is starting to develop is very good news for the Jets.

third line in peak grindy, cycley mode. With them pitching in offensively teams must hate playing against them.

Kupari better sort a couple things out or Gus is going to draw in and if he takes that opportunity and runs with it Kupari could have a long spell in the press box.

Comrie let in 2 short guy fugly goals but he battled hard and made some good saves too. The Flames borked several grade A chances though, we could have easily been down a couple in the 3rd. The Jets will have to outscore bad goals from Comrie all season I think.

It's so amazing to have top 5 special teams. Anything over 100% combined is successful and they're at 131%

There are several big pluses coming right now. The Lowry line is at their best. The Ehlers line (or Names line) is playing great right now. I don't know if that is the biggest thing now or the play of Connor. He is playing better than he ever has in the past. Not only is he making an effort to back check (all I ever said he needed to do) but he is busting his ass and playing D very well.

In spite of Connor's play the top line is not doing all that well at 5v5. I don't know if Scheif needs Vilardi to get going to get him going or not but neither of them is playing particularly well, especially Vilardi.

If Vilardi doesn't get going soon and the Jets start losing the odd game I would look for some kind of change there. I wouldn't touch the Names line though unless they go cold. Maybe swap in Iafallo. I think I remember him playing well there last year for a spell.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we pay ehlers how will we afford Connor next season?

I don't think that will be a problem. 4 mil in buyout money will be off the books and the cap will go up. Iafallo is probably gone, replaced by someone on an ELC.

I would have projected Pionk's contract coming off the books but if he keeps up his recent play he will be getting a raise.

Give Ehlers 8.5 and then a year later give Connor 9.5 and it sounds like a lot. You think s**t! Where are we going to come up with 18 mil? But that is only 2.5 mil raise to each so you need to come up with 5 mil more than now. 4 mil buyout money next year and another 1.5 mil the year after more than covers it.

There will be other raises but there will be cap increases and other contracts come off the books.

It's so dumb. NHL being very anti-fan by splitting NHL games into yet more services.

Just sign up for a 30 day free trial of prime and then cancel. Or borrow a friend's prime account (they don't crack down on sharing nearly as much as Netflix). I'll be doing the latter.

I don't think NHL is doing this. It is SN reselling some of the games they paid billions for.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
What was thug Coleman's problem with Connor on the shorthanded goal? That he tugged Connor's jersey and he didn't go down? Big baby.

Please beat the Leafs.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably because their cut of the Prime revenue is much greater than what they would have gotten broadcasting it.

That's my guess at least.

You can be certain that they (SN) think they are making more money this way. The only uncertainty is if it is right now money or long game money.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Don't disagree, but get used to it. It is the future. Broadcast TV is going the way of landline phones.

Funny how TV has basically done a circle. Cable becoming too expensive and streaming getting bigger and bigger and now you need to have multiple streaming services to watch your teams and that money just adds up too. Also f*** Amazon.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
$5.2 Billion for 2 years is not bad.
It was $5.2 billion for 12 years signed & took effect back in 2014-2015. The deal is set to expire after the 2025-2026 season.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just wait….if the whole Amazon experiment works for them, there is a rumour that Amazon could get into a bidding war against SN when the contract is up, and AZ could replace SN as the main broadcaster in Canada. You could end up with no hockey on Cable, except for regional contracts like Jets on TSN, if those even exist. JMO, but the way we watch hockey in 2 years could be very different then it is now.

Anyways…I got my AZ trial so I can watch the Jets tomorrow.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I would wager 90% of the people have already Amazon Prime membership, so I won't be shedding too many tears if Amazon takes over hockey broadcasting. Additionally there are so many perks that come with a prime membership that people won't mind paying for it for hockey if they don't have it already.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I would wager 90% of the people have already Amazon Prime membership, so I won't be shedding too many tears if Amazon takes over hockey broadcasting. Additionally there are so many perks that come with a prime membership that people won't mind paying for it for hockey if they don't have it already.
Perks like what?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

The biggest perk for me was free shipping. But I found that even without prime I can still get free shipping anyways. Sure, there's a minimum order and maybe it takes a day or two longer. The trick is to just compile a list of stuff you need beforehand to make the minimum order and for stuff you don't need right away.

I find there's only a handful of shows on any streaming service that I'm interested in. Not enough to justify paying for one let alone multiple.

Now if you excuse me, I have to go back to my porch and look for kids to yell at to keep them off my lawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad