Post-Game Talk: 8 and oh, baby. Jets win 5-3.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it would be Perfetti and Vilardi that get swapped, Vilardi is too slow for the checking line...But I still think Vilardi's role is to dig, which takes away some hits that Scheifele would take over the year, if he wasn't on that line.

He's really the complimentary triggerman/net front guy on the top line. He doesn't drive play like the others in our top 6 and if he was finishing a little better we wouldn't be having a conversation about him.

I still expect 60 points and 25 to 30 goals from him while being sound in his end and on the boards. He does look a little slower this year or maybe that's due to us playing a faster team game, that his foot speed stands out more.

Moloch

Mar 15, 2024
Kinda sucks when a game like this happens while you're at work. Even by watching the highlights I could tell this game would've been wild to watch live.

Comrie makes a lot of really impressive saves. His glove does the heavy lifting a lot of the time. first two goals from the flames kinda seemed like the willed themselves into the net from a sharp angle, not much you can do there, especially when your opponent seems to be aiming 3 inches left of your sideburns.

Will DeMelo ever return to form? Wtf is going on with him? I cant be the only one whos seeing this

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. He seems to mostly play good, but that gets negated with a couple against you from the corner.

He made a few outstanding saves too. I guess it evens out.

Wish we still had Bro swat but he had to try going where he might have a bigger opportunity.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
KFC was a buzzsaw at both ends of the ice all night......and nobody else really caught my eye. Strange game.

He has upped his D zone game a couple of notches, at least. He was really outstanding backchecking on 1 shift in particular that I noticed.

He did that for a while last year too, and then regressed to the mean. If he keeps this up we will be able to stop complaining about the 81/55 combo. :thumbu:

The coverage Monday is going to be insufferable

Why do you assume that?

Are you assuming a TML win?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not the prettiest of games, but 8-0 is still an outstanding start to the season. Comrie struggled a bit but we now have 2 wins giving Helly rest.

I don't think Helle really needs the rest that much this early in the season, especially with the schedule having been relatively easy so far. We had one 4 day break already and then have been playing every 2nd day since.

I think it is likely more about getting Comrie game ready for a tougher part of the sched when the b2bs start coming.

Reactions: bustamente

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think it would be Perfetti and Vilardi that get swapped, Vilardi is too slow for the checking line...But I still think Vilardi's role is to dig, which takes away some hits that Scheifele would take over the year, if he wasn't on that line.
I agree - Vilardi does a lot of stuff that might not show up on the radar when the other two on the line are so dynamic.
I think they leave him there - I have no doubt that at some point (hopefully soon) he'll start scoring from his strength around the net.
I've been watching him the last few games and a lot of his time out there is working the walls / battling - and that line needs that along with his added magic around the net (which should show up soon).
I think we also need to factor in how 55/81 work their offense - they love to play off each other and the 3rd guy can get ignored a bit at times. Vilardi needs to get to the net more and pick up some of the trash left by the other two - and I think that will come.

He's really the complimentary triggerman/net front guy on the top line. He doesn't drive play like the others in our top 6 and if he was finishing a little better we wouldn't be having a conversation about him.

I still expect 60 points and 25 to 30 goals from him while being sound in his end and on the boards. He does look a little slower this year or maybe that's due to us playing a faster team game, that his foot speed stands out more.
This -
I didn't read this post before offering my opinion above - but pretty much in line with surixon

Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the win - because TBH, that one was up in the air all night.
Fairly messy affair but you take em anyway you can get em -
Special teams appears to be the difference maker - which is a nice change.

They were a difference maker in the past too. Just in the other direction. :laugh:

I think most teams tend to play pretty close to evens at 5v5. Special teams are where you either rise or fall.

Reactions: LowLefty

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Again I didn't mind Stanley's play tonight sure a few fumbles but nothing egregious, actually more concerned about DeMelo, also Rasmus might be coming out of the lineup for the Leafs game

The thing that bothers me about seeing Stanley every game is not that he is playing badly, apart from his first game. It is that Fleury was better and had earned more games.

Will Heinola be given a chance when he is healthy? Or will it still just default to Stanley? Will it vary by the style of the opponent? In that case Fleury certainly ought to be back in against TML. We'll see, I guess.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
KC was one of the guys in last seasons exit interviews that mentioned they would need to ramp up the level of compete - and he's doing exactly that.
Just thinking kc worked on the big weakness in his game and what it would look like if all the other top 6 players did the same. Although fetti is a lot better this year too.

For ehlers is that showing up in the playoffs and staying healthy? For Villardi it would definitely be staying healthy.

For schief it’s probably his two way game.

For names that would be turning into a sniper.

Last edited:
Reactions: LowLefty

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Kinda sucks when a game like this happens while you're at work. Even by watching the highlights I could tell this game would've been wild to watch live.

Comrie makes a lot of really impressive saves. His glove does the heavy lifting a lot of the time. first two goals from the flames kinda seemed like the willed themselves into the net from a sharp angle, not much you can do there, especially when your opponent seems to be aiming 3 inches left of your sideburns.

Will DeMelo ever return to form? Wtf is going on with him? I cant be the only one whos seeing this
He's been average this year, luckily Pionk is making up the difference. Miller as well. Maybe the new defensive system isn't as easy for him to process, as he looks a little slower out there. Still a top notch PKer so not a lot of complaints here.

Reactions: thereturn

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
47MvNfT.png

Credit: @deadwebsite

For those who didn't watch the whole game and missed what happened.

Inanna

Cat Lady
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
North of Toronto
I was so looking forward to seeing this game and then got shanghaied to overnight in the big city and missed it. Back home now and looking at the highlight package and it looks like I missed a good one.

Not one but two goals went in off the back of Comrie's head. How often is that going to happen? And then for good measure we bounced one off the boards and their goalie's back and into the net. Again, what are the odds? Ehlers and Conner both turning into defensive forwards with great back-checking. And Perfetti finding the side of the net with a fabulous shot. We may be growing into a well-rounded team with a nice accessorizing of luck.

So many people here want the Leafs to end the Jets' streak. It will be like their Stanley Cup. And if we do lose, I have to think that all of Jets Nation would have been thrilled last September if they knew we'd start the season at 8-1.

Let's go for 9-0!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm not defending the crappy decision - just offering possible solutions. Yeah man, it sucks.

Can't do anything about people with poor Internet connections.

But there are always workarounds. Many on here don't have cable at all and choose to sail the seven seas. Then the NHL/Amazon/Rogers/Bell get dick-all. The more they screw around like that the more people go that route.
I haven't had cable for about 17-18 years.
I can always find the Jets on the net.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The thing that bothers me about seeing Stanley every game is not that he is playing badly, apart from his first game. It is that Fleury was better and had earned more games.

Will Heinola be given a chance when he is healthy? Or will it still just default to Stanley? Will it vary by the style of the opponent? In that case Fleury certainly ought to be back in against TML. We'll see, I guess.
You're not seeing Stan every game - you've seen him for 3.
He's coming off an injury and they are giving him a few games - end of story.
As for Ville, who know - that's in the future. But I'd assume he will be getting his reps much like Stan.
If he doesn't, then it's time to wonder

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
KC was one of the guys in last seasons exit interviews that mentioned they would need to ramp up the level of compete - and he's doing exactly that.
People around here were mocking the "10% better" quote during the exit interviews but safe to say that Connor is 10% better away from the puck so far this year and you can see how it translates

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed. He seems to mostly play good, but that gets negated with a couple against you from the corner.
I'm not sure what the actual number is, but I've seen a couple times mentioned there has been a higher number of goals from bad angles to start this season than normal. More players are trying to take bad angle shots also, I'd imagine. Anything to try and score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad