737 max 9 blowout of door plug

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Can't find the original video that explained the why of the door plug, but essentially, the 737 max 9 can be configured to up to 193 passengers, in which case, there are required exit doors at those locations in fuselage. This 737 max 9 was configured for 179 pax which did not require an emergency exit. Instead a door plug (which costs much less) was installed and was paneled on the interior like any other section of the fuselage. Alaska had alerts of pressurization issues on that aircraft for three flights and had removed it from flying to Hawaii, allowing to only fly over land.

FAA have grounded all 737 max 9 planes, effecting Alaska and United airlines in US.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Subsequent United Airlines fleet inspections are contributing findings that may lead NTSB & Boeing to the root cause(s) of the door plug failure.

I still find it incredibly lucky that nobody was sitting in the two plug-adjacent seats. Makes me wonder if Alaska Air took precautions to block those seats from passenger assignment based on previous pressurization issues with that tail number.:huh:

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Heard that one guy had his shirt blown off.

They found a couple of cell phones that blew out of the plane (returned to NTSB).

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Heard that one guy had his shirt blown off.

They found a couple of cell phones that blew out of the plane (returned to NTSB).
So this KGW-TV8 report appears to conflict with previous reports stating that nobody was sitting in the seats of the row adjacent to the door plug. The news story says: "The teen had been sitting in the middle seat of row 20, one seat away from the door plug. When it blew out, the sudden depressurization sucked his shirt from his body. (A fellow passenger) said that the teen's seatbelt saved his life. He was buckled in, and his mom helped pull him back from the hole....." NOTE TO SELF: Button shirt before boarding your flight. :eek3:

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Wow that's insane that the phones survived that.

Anyways I think the 737 Max alone is justifying my new interest in seeing trains make a comeback.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Realistically a phone will have a significantly better chance of surviving such a drop from a plane than for example from a building. Will reach near-terminal velocity anyway and more likely to get a relatively soft landing hitting vegetation or alike.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Realistically a phone will have a significantly better chance of surviving such a drop from a plane than for example from a building. Will reach near-terminal velocity anyway and more likely to get a relatively soft landing hitting vegetation or alike.
Apple could spin this into one helluva strong marketing campaign. I hope they don't spoil it by denying the wayward phone owner's warranty claim. :thumbd:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Preliminary findings are that door was missing 4 bolts. Plug was removed during construction to fix some rivets.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Spectacular, but not as dangerous (to pax)?
The passenger risk factor in such incidents is primarily influenced by the training & skills of the flight crew, especially the pilot. If they can expertly handle & land the aircraft in such "off-nominal conditions," the passenger risk level will be reduced significantly. So as you sit in your window seat, looking out at a jet engine doing a striptease, you should ask yourself (calmly): "I wonder if this airplane has an owner's manual in the glove box." :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad