GDT: #7 | Flyers at Capitals | Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 | 7:30 PM | TNT, 93.3 FM

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Unpopular opinions

Z might be worse than Hagg.

Bold tanking strategy Cotton to leave the ice and give the team an open empty net shot

Fedotov look competent for 30 out of 60 minutes. Baby steps
Haggar is still lurking around currently with Vegas Ahl affiliate.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zamula gives you solid defensive impacts without committing a ton of Penalties. But basically nothing else.

Hagg gave you nothing. At his worst, Hagg was a negative in basically every way we have to measure a player’s effectiveness. He’s my best guess at the worst Flyer Defenseman we’ve seen in the last ~25 years given an appropriate threshold of minimum Games. I have zero doubt he was significantly worse than AMac for example.
Welp. That was yesterday, but yesterday's gone.
He hasn't been solid this season, he's been a train wreck.

If Fedotov can actually take what he did in the last 30 minutes and piece that together from game to game, or at least mostly, then he might be okay in the NHL. But his reading of the play and speed of it is still pretty low for NHL standards.
I think the success of a few elite KHL goalies has created a false impression that the transfer from the KHL to the NHL should be seamless.

It's more like going from the AHL to the NHL.

Now if Zavragin is as good as his stats indicated he might be, he could make a seamless transition, much the way Michkov is quickly becoming an elite NHL offensive player (his defense and decision making, that may take a couple years).

But for Fedotov and Kolosov, "you know it don't come easy."

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If Fedotov can actually take what he did in the last 30 minutes and piece that together from game to game, or at least mostly, then he might be okay in the NHL. But his reading of the play and speed of it is still pretty low for NHL standards.
I thought 2 of the goals you could give him a pass on. But still he has a lot of things he needs to clean up. I am still not ready to give up on him but I hope we can see improvement as we go along.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I thought 2 of the goals you could give him a pass on. But still he has a lot of things he needs to clean up. I am still not ready to give up on him but I hope we can see improvement as we go along.

I'm just glad this game actually gave some sort of glimmer of him being better because his previous 2 games were BAD.

But yeah, the defensive breakdowns were so f***ing bad in front of him.

Honestly, I would say goal #2 against Dowd really showed how he completely failed tracking the puck.

First goal was a wildly good f***ing tip in front that would of gone in on anyone. Third goal was a breakaway, however, his lack of lateral movement was pretty f***ing apparent there as he basically stretched out in place. Fourth goal was where the defense let him just sit there in front with no one defending him for an easy tip in goal that would be difficult for any goalie.

So yes, he was better, but he still has some glaring flaws.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

I think the success of a few elite KHL goalies has created a false impression that the transfer from the KHL to the NHL should be seamless.

It's more like going from the AHL to the NHL.

Now if Zavragin is as good as his stats indicated he might be, he could make a seamless transition, much the way Michkov is quickly becoming an elite NHL offensive player (his defense and decision making, that may take a couple years).

But for Fedotov and Kolosov, "you know it don't come easy."
Why does the staff still play him 19+ minutes a night? Seems odd. what are they seeing?

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008

Basically equivalent to Risto this year defensively. Both solid. Neither given deployment that's noteworthy in either direction. I'm sure you remember some egregious mistakes, but our eyes and brains are terrible at these big picture defensive impacts.

They probably won't have an oiSVP% of 82 with him on the ice at 5v5 all year. His other minor strengths this year are things like drawing Penalties, which I trust precisely zero people on the planet to judge in real time. Just a quietly acceptable but unspectacular player.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The rest of their defensive options?
Risto for all his warts is still a better option. Seeler was first game back so understand his low minutes.

Just a reelection of how poor of an organization. They have no one to replace him after years of futility. Despite what they say about Andrae, at least 1 person does not like his game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere has to work with what he inherited. Which wasn't a lot.

Holmgren made the decision after 2018-19 to try and win it with a core of (2019-20 ages)
Giroux (32), Couts (27), Voracek (30), TK (22), JVR (30), Lindblom (23), Laughton (25), Patrick (21), Simmonds (31), NAK (23)
Provorov (23), Sanheim (23), Ghost (26), Hagg (24), Gudas (29), Myers (23)

It wasn't good enough for a long run, some bad luck (Lindblom, Patrick), some 30+ guys falling off the cliff (Voracek, Simmonds). No organizational depth.

Even if CF makes better moves, there wasn't enough talent to be a SC contender.
Just enough to be mired in mediocrity.

Between Hextall's poor use of 1st and 2nd rd picks his last couple years, and CF trading a draft's worth of picks to "win now," the cupboard was empty.

The real villain was Holmgren, he didn't want to make the tough decision to rebuild, so he punted, hired CF and AV, and then retired.

You need both quality at the top and organizational depth to withstand the inevitable injuries.
That takes time and numerous drafts. And a little luck and some smart low cost moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad