GDT: #7 | Flyers at Capitals | Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 | 7:30 PM | TNT, 93.3 FM

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Brink has actually been one of the better forwards

Pineapple feta is a secret banger

This isn’t necessarily aimed at Brink… but…

Have we even had any above-average forwards so far? Maybe within single periods, yes.

This is why I feel like it’s just a continuation of late last year. There were very very few bright spots and pretty much the entire roster was ass.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's been a big concern for me too. He doesn't at all look like the player he was last year. It took some time for him to get started, so I'm hoping it's the same thing this year.

Before he started producing last year, though, I distinctly remember calling out the things I thought were greatly improved with his game and expecting things to follow. Specifically making the simple quick plays to keep things moving. Now? A whole lot of holding things and trying to overthink his capabilities. Forced plays. Hanging onto stuff until he's challenged.

Reactions: VladDrag

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Neither does Frost.
Last season, Frost was a solid 2C and held up despite being overmatched some nights against top lines.
This season he looks lost out there, starts plays that go nowhere.

Eventually it's going to be Frost, Couts, Cates and Poehling at center, similar to last season, swapping Cates for Laughton, who is clearly better at LW.

Foerster - Couts - Michkov
Tippett - Frost - TK
Farabee - Cates - Brink
Laughton - Poehling - Hathaway

Given that group, it's no wonder Torts wants a longer look at Luchanko!
But unless he starts playing a lot better, he's headed back to the CHL.

I wonder why a player whose playstyle is most heavily impacted by the coach's offensive philosophies struggles in the face of teams completely shutting them down?

The world wonders.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Luchanko has NHL size and speed, he has NHL defensive instincts, he just has to raise his offensive game. The median 2C scores around 35 ES points, so we're not talking a drastic improvement. No one is asking him to be elite at 19, anymore than anyone sane expects Michkov to be elite this season.

That's a lot easier to plug in than an offensive first CHL center who hasn't mastered NHL fundamentals - because when the inevitable struggles on offense come, he'll be a black hole on defense.

Please, pretty please, never accuse us of overrating prospects again when you're going to do this. I do believe this particular sin is why we are currently staring at Ghost and NAK in the top 5 league-wide for xGF%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad