GDT: #7 | Flyers at Capitals | Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 | 7:30 PM | TNT, 93.3 FM

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem is matching the right players, and we don't have some of the right players.

Michkov isn't a great fit with Frost, Frost is not a great "half court" player, he just doesn't see the ice that well and needs to use his speed to be effective, which is why he's been a good match with Tippett. Next season look for Luchanko and Michkov to be paired.

Brink is smart, has better vision than Frost but is undersized, his ideal center would be a young Couts, but whether Couts can anchor a scoring line is a question at this point in his career. I see him as more effective at LW.

Cates is a good defensive center who lacks playmaking skills, Laughton is a better LW than center, Poehling is a speedy forechecker who is best at 4C.

They know this, but unless you want to spend assets on a veteran center, there is little to be done until next summer and maybe another season or two. Center and LHD will be draft priorities, but even ones taken in the 1st rd are unlikely to make an impact until 2027-28 (D+2 if lucky, D+3 or D+4 for most 1st rd picks).

My strategy would be to package Frost and/or Farabee, a later 1st rd pick and another asset for a young two way top six center. Then draft a couple offensively skilled smurf centers for 3C and hope that Ciernak turns out to be for real.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Zero % they are banged up.

Tippy Poheling together, Torts 2 fav boos SUCK TOGETHER, yet you scratch other players.

We are 100% healthy and will roll out possibly the worst forward lineup in years tonight !

Get Jett, Frost, Brink out of the lineup and their youngest team in the NHL badge of honour is gone !

"Youngest team in the league" is the Reddit subs favorite response to someone who says the Flyers aren't really rebuilding.

• Haha
Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's been a big concern for me too. He doesn't at all look like the player he was last year. It took some time for him to get started, so I'm hoping it's the same thing this year.
Neither does Frost.
Last season, Frost was a solid 2C and held up despite being overmatched some nights against top lines.
This season he looks lost out there, starts plays that go nowhere.

Eventually it's going to be Frost, Couts, Cates and Poehling at center, similar to last season, swapping Cates for Laughton, who is clearly better at LW.

Foerster - Couts - Michkov
Tippett - Frost - TK
Farabee - Cates - Brink
Laughton - Poehling - Hathaway

Given that group, it's no wonder Torts wants a longer look at Luchanko!
But unless he starts playing a lot better, he's headed back to the CHL.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Neither does Frost.
Last season, Frost was a solid 2C and held up despite being overmatched some nights against top lines.
This season he looks lost out there, starts plays that go nowhere.

Eventually it's going to be Frost, Couts, Cates and Poehling at center, similar to last season, swapping Cates for Laughton, who is clearly better at LW.

Foerster - Couts - Michkov
Tippett - Frost - TK
Farabee - Cates - Brink
Laughton - Poehling - Hathaway

Given that group, it's no wonder Torts wants a longer look at Luchanko!
But unless he starts playing a lot better, he's headed back to the CHL.
Dude what is your deal with Frost?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dude what is your deal with Frost?
He's been playing like crap to start the season.
Much worse than last season.
Tippett has been even worse, but you can live with Tippett or TK having a slow start, but if Frost is struggling the impact is greater b/c they have more depth at wing.

He's our only potential top 6 center (Luchanko next season but not now) so if he's mediocre, center is a black hole.

Couts is solid, but it doesn't look like he can drive a scoring line anymore.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Luchanko a top 6 center next season. Can’t make this stuff up.
Luchanko has NHL size and speed, he has NHL defensive instincts, he just has to raise his offensive game. The median 2C scores around 35 ES points, so we're not talking a drastic improvement. No one is asking him to be elite at 19, anymore than anyone sane expects Michkov to be elite this season.

That's a lot easier to plug in than an offensive first CHL center who hasn't mastered NHL fundamentals - because when the inevitable struggles on offense come, he'll be a black hole on defense.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Luchanko has NHL size and speed, he has NHL defensive instincts, he just has to raise his offensive game. The median 2C scores around 35 ES points, so we're not talking a drastic improvement. No one is asking him to be elite at 19, anymore than anyone sane expects Michkov to be elite this season.

That's a lot easier to plug in than an offensive first CHL center who hasn't mastered NHL fundamentals - because when the inevitable struggles on offense come, he'll be a black hole on defense.

Just has to raise his offensive game… like that’s an easy thing for a 19-year-old whose best season in juniors was 20 goals. 35 ES points is a pretty drastic improvement over the 0 points in 4 games he currently has. The defensive instincts are nice, but as a 2C, I am more concerned about him being a black hole on offense.

Reactions: BiggE

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Worst pp running. 2 x shorties against.

My under on Torts getting fired in 15 is looking good

I cannot help but hope you're right, but I came a hair's breadth away from putting Torts on my stone cold locks to not be fired prediction for DGB's survey (only the possibility that he resigns for a FO job at the end of the season kept him off my list). I think Michkov would have to publicly threaten to return to Russia in order to get Torts actually fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad