Confirmed with Link: [7/23/24] Sabres sign Beck Malenstyn 2 years, $1.35m AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Yes, I would feel the same way if we made that play. For me, the value is probably around a 5th rounder at most, seeing as Beck is replacing Robinson’s spot on the team and we gave up a conditional 7th rounder in 2025.

For me, this sort of trade and value shines a light on Kevin’s mindset currently. It’s not a good thing.

And there goes Jeannot.
Beck had 8% ozone starts this past year, and STILL put up 20 ES points. That’s honestly incredible. I don’t know if there is another player in the league with those splits. He has middle 6 upside, which is nothing like Robinson. People who think he is replacing Robinson are selling him short. He is similar to greenway than Robinson

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Maybe the capitals don’t want to trade him for a fourth. Or a third.

Maybe the Sabres could have gotten a different fourth liner for a 4th, but they wanted THIS one
Bwahaha ok bud. Maybes ifs and buts

Jeannot for a 2nd and a 4th

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
No, he's not terrible defensively. If he was terrible defensively, he wouldn't be getting outshot 3-2 with 90% d-zone starts. He wouldn't be getting 90% d-zone starts.

You claim this profile on waivers or sign him for 750K on day 18 of UFA. You don't give up second round picks for a 26 year old journeyman playing in Hershey. It's a dogshit trade.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The over reactions here are comical. We added one of the better grit guys in the league who has the size and speed we need
And yet saying one of the better grit guys in the league isn’t comical?

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Same. I'm not going to dither over a round. They have too many prospects for the icetime in the AHL already even before possibly pushing Helenius into that mix. Make the move, build the roster. Stop worrying about winning every deal.
I'm for any move that helps the bunch of pansies that this team has iced for too many years.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
No, he's not terrible defensively. If he was terrible defensively, he wouldn't be getting outshot 3-2 with 90% d-zone starts. He wouldn't be getting 90% d-zone starts.
Do you think thats how we plan on using him, or can he play in a less extreme version of a 4th line, if not higher?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
We co
Maybe the capitals don’t want to trade him for a fourth. Or a third.

Maybe the Sabres could have gotten a different fourth liner for a 4th, but they wanted THIS one
We could have had Marino for 2 seconds

2nds are nothing according to some

But hey I am sure this guy will move the needle towards the playoffs more than Marino ever would.

Let's just roll with Joker again in our top 4

Reactions: SabresFan26

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Caps got mangiapone for free and his stats are way better than the guy we just traded for.
Look at what they do though - one is small and bad at D scores more pt and one is big fast and hits and plays PK and has a historic amount of D starts - look at their zone deployment- think about what we need for a hot sec - stop just reactively complain about everything

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You claim this profile on waivers or sign him for 750K on day 18 of UFA. You don't give up second round picks for a 26 year old journeyman playing in Hershey. It's a dogshit trade.

Guys who were doing what he did aren't 18th day of UFA or league minimum.

Jeannot for a 2nd

...and not in the conference.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
M
Not fond of the price but I'm good with the player
I agree with this statement.

My problem is with GMKA who basically drove the price of these players higher by repeatedly saying "we are looking for X and that we need X", yada yada yada. "We traded down from 11 to 14 to get an extra pick for an NHL player."

If I'm another GM, the price of a player goes up after hearing any of this talk.
A good poker player makes the move, then talks about it after you complete the move for a good deal.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'd also like to say, I did mention that 4th liners who bring a certain skillset can get premium value. I referred to Goose as to why Jeannot may get a 2nd round pick, which really wasn't a great comparison, but still- a 4th line of misfits gets you cratered in. A 4th line that plays the body, gets heavy D zone matchups, and can hold their own can be a difference maker in the playoffs.

Reactions: StlSwedes

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd rather have Malenstyn on our 4th line this year than a 2nd round pick that may be something in a couple years.

Malenstyn is big, hits, an ace PKer, is fast and is sound defensively. He's everything one wants in a 4th line player in today's NHL.

Is it great value? Nah, he's probably actually worth a 3rd or 4th. But......Kevyn identified a guy he wanted, and went and got him.

No issues with this trade at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad