Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Hockey athletes need stamina so lifting his body weight for more reps makes sense to me.
Yea, he doesn't need to be able to lift 500lbs once, he needs to be able to lift 200lbs x 20 times or something. Hockey is way more marathon than sprint

Reactions: Daeavorn

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
These are always so funny.

“Look, he’s deadlifting! What a BEAST in the gym!”

Assuming there’s nothing funny about those weights, that’s a set of touch-and-go 225lb deadlifts that I would expect any even moderately trained person to be able to do, let alone a pro athlete.

So basically all this video shows is “this kid works out during the summer”, which is like, “well… yeah.”
I much prefer this to seeing him hanging out on Ovechkins boat with a pot belly.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm excited to hear this news but I'm not celebrating just yet.

If I'm Dundon, I'm writing SKA a blank check as compensation now so the organization can start getting him acclimated to life and the different ice here in the States. Personally I'm hoping this news "upsets" SKA and they release him of his contract (am I wrong or is something similar happening with Mickov?)

Getting him here would be a huge W.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

If I'm Dundon, I'm writing SKA a blank check as compensation now so the organization can start getting him acclimated to life and the different ice here in the States. Personally I'm hoping this news "upsets" SKA and they release him of his contract (am I wrong or is something similar happening with Mickov?)

I keep harping on this, but has any NHL team made a transfer payment to Russia since the Ukraine invasion sanctions? And especially as SKA is owned by Gazprom, I suspect direct transfer payments are running into some gray zones of legality at best right now.

Our options outside of just waiting for him to finish his contract have just seemed like they've been severely limited.

I'm really glad he's saying he wants to come over to North America, though. I don't think we've ever heard him say that before.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I keep harping on this, but has any NHL team made a transfer payment to Russia since the Ukraine invasion sanctions? And especially as SKA is owned by Gazprom, I suspect direct transfer payments are running into some gray zones of legality at best right now.

Our options outside of just waiting for him to finish his contract have just seem like they've been severely limited.

I'm really glad he's saying he wants to come over to North America, though. I don't think we've ever heard him say that before.
Yup, that’s the first peep we’ve heard that even suggests he wants to be here.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

He's the best defenseman in the league and SKA's goal every year is title or bust. Letting Nikishin leave isn't going to help them accomplish that. He was never coming over this year.

As others have said, it's positive that it looks like he's got interest in coming to NA though.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Our options outside of just waiting for him to finish his contract have just seemed like they've been severely limited.

Might be illegal to make a payment given the sanctions.

Reactions: DaveG

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I realized just how serious those sanctions when Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich was forced into a near immediate sale of Chelsea football club over in England. By far the quickest sale of a sports team I’ve ever seen.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Someone on the Canes reddit page posted this and translated it.

-Kid wants to play in the NHL (good to hear it from his mouth) but wants to finish his SKA contract.

-Is surprised Canes fans haven't messaged him on social media yet, thinks it's because he's not a high draft pick

-Has had contact with Waddell

-Watched the Hurricanes last year because he's a fan of Orlov and Svech.

-Has talked to fellow countrymen about transition from KHL to NHL.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

-Kid wants to play in the NHL (good to hear it from his mouth) but wants to finish his SKA contract.

-Is surprised Canes fans haven't messaged him on social media yet, thinks it's because he's not a high draft pick

Actually we just don’t want to scare him off until he’s here and can’t escape.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Saw the Reddit post and there was a funny bit about the call he received from Waddell. Apparently, Nikishin just said “I don’t speak English” and hung up :laugh:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Hello comrade

Welcome to the team.

Please bring some of grandma's borscht when you come to NA.

Ps. Please crush Rongos bones to dust and their hearts

Sincerely,

Canes fans.

Twitterati Please confer the message 🙏

Reactions: SlavinAway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad