Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Looks like he really trimmed down. The work ethic is there with this kid - hopefully that translates into average NHL skating at some point because the rest of the tools are there.

He was listed around 230 lbs to 240 lbs las season. Back in August he had an interview where he said he was down 15 lbs. I don't know what he weighs now but he is likely working hard to put on lean muscle mass. He could very well end up back around 230 to 240 lbs in the long run but it will need to be lean mass for him to be effective. At this point he is probably floating somewhere between the 210 to 220 lbs mark. This should have a noticeable impact on his play and could actually have a big impact on his skating.

Reactions: NB613

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Egor, we are also excited to see what happens next!

This guy will work to improve every facet of his game to stay in the NHL. Along with Boom Boom Jarventie, Sokolov has been my draft-day candidate as a steal relative to where he has been drafted. He will get plenty of opportunity under Mann to grow his game.

He is the opposite of Colin Greening, in a good way.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
This guy is going to go to war for us. Every other LW on the team that's on the outside looking in better watch out. He plays a lot like Tkachuk and I can really see DJ liking his game. If he goes ballistic in camp and exhibition there's not much to lose by having him on the opening day roster.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This guy is going to go to war for us. Every other LW on the team that's on the outside looking in better watch out. He plays a lot like Tkachuk and I can really see DJ liking his game. If he goes ballistic in camp and exhibition there's not much to lose by having him on the opening day roster.
Is he known as a wrecking ball? He looks like one lol. But haven’t seen that part of his game

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Yes, the oft-occurring second rounder making the NHL out of camp the year he was drafted.

Things are looking up for the Sens, but let's get back to Earth here.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Yes, the oft-occurring second rounder making the NHL out of camp the year he was drafted.

It happens all the time, and is especially not out of the ordinary when talking about overagers so I don't know what your condescending tone is based on, sorry Dad

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It happens all the time, and is especially not out of the ordinary when talking about overagers so I don't know what your condescending tone is based on, sorry Dad
I'm trying to think of an example....any sens players outside round 1 ever made it to opening day in their draft year? Nobody in recent memory comes to mind.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Ryan O’Reilly is the last one I remember.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He was listed around 230 lbs to 240 lbs las season. Back in August he had an interview where he said he was down 15 lbs. I don't know what he weighs now but he is likely working hard to put on lean muscle mass. He could very well end up back around 230 to 240 lbs in the long run but it will need to be lean mass for him to be effective. At this point he is probably floating somewhere between the 210 to 220 lbs mark. This should have a noticeable impact on his play and could actually have a big impact on his skating.

I thought I read somewhere that he is down to 217 lbs but cannot remember where I read that.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'd be very surprised if Sokolov made the Ottawa Senators this year.

I think he'll struggle to stay in the lineup in the AHL to start. It's a big jump from junior to professional hockey. He might very well be a good player in a few years but not now.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Basically the entire 2020 WJC. He’s definitely not a pure skill player he’s a wrecking ball
Maybe Sokolov can develop some Evgeny Artyukhin style goonery to his game. If he can become a better version of Artyukhin that would be massive for the Sens. Sokolov seems like a smarter player than Artyukhin so maybe he could do a better job of playing right on the edge and picking his spots better.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I made a post a while back, it was directed more specifically at players sticking/playing significant time in the NHL in their post-draft season, but it is quite rare. If there are expanded rosters that would obviously help him, and I wouldn't necessarily put it past him to earn a few games at the start of the season either way, but it would be a pretty incredible and rare feat if he made the team full-time or even for any extended stretch.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad