Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So all players other than Crosby, Jagr and Forsberg basically are bad skaters?

Why would you compare anybody to Crosby unless you think they'll end up being a top 2 player in the game for 15 years?

Exactly. That's like saying Chabot is just decent because Victor Hedman is the best Dman in the league. Like ... Taking a gigantic leap here.

Comparing to Crosby is just so outlandish.

Guys with a skillset like Stutzle .... there are maybe 4-5 per draft. You're incredibly lucky to have one or two on your team. Saying everyone else is just decent if they have anything less than that makes no sense.

I mean genius plan there to have 12 forwards with that skillset but not realistic at all.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What our friend is saying is that if that's your baseline for better than "decent" then your standards are way too high.

Probably less than 5% of NHLers have edgework, skating and lower body strenght like Crosby.

Chabot, Sanderson, Formenton are amazing skaters. Formenton moreso straight-line and speed but you get the picture.

I am looking forward to seeing Steutzle playing with some speedsters on the Senators as speed can intimidate other teams. Steutzle, Formenton and ???? could be dazzling.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Exactly. That's like saying Chabot is just decent because Victor Hedman is the best Dman in the league. Like ... Taking a gigantic leap here.

Comparing to Crosby is just so outlandish.

Guys with a skillset like Stutzle .... there are maybe 4-5 per draft. You're incredibly lucky to have one or two on your team. Saying everyone else is just decent if they have anything less than that makes no sense.

I mean genius plan there to have 12 forwards with that skillset but not realistic at all.

There were days when the red army team 12 players LOL -who could skate like Crosby. Most of them were a touch less talented in the other areas then Canadians but skating was a way superior. What happened to skating skills all over the world now, I am not sure.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I expect this kid to be on the team by the end of the season.

I also think Stützle gets stuck in Germany the entire season and I’m torn on that. High risk, high reward.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Duke would have fit in nicely.

That ship has sailed. The team went out and signed Dadonov (3 years, 5.0) and Galchenyuk (1 year, 1.05)

Money well spent. Apparently, Duclair wanted something like 5.5 x 5 years

Nothing against Duclair, but very bad timing for overpricing yourself. And the fact that he didn't think it was a good idea to have an agent actually blew up in his face.

So glad it worked out that way in the end, I have totally moved on from Duclair. Not only we added Dadonov and Galchenyuk, but there's plenty of talented kids eager to prove themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFactor

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There were days when the red army team 12 players LOL -who could skate like Crosby. Most of them were a touch less talented in the other areas then Canadians but skating was a way superior. What happened to skating skills all over the world now, I am not sure.

The Soviet teams were very talented and worked together as 5 man units (3F and 2D). They played an inter-weaving style which was difficult to defend at first, until a strategy was developed after several games. The Soviets were excellent students of the game.

I remember watching the Canadian amateur team play them. I also remember watching the WHA Winnipeg Jets with Hull, Nilsson and Hedberg play them one year. That was an excellent game and showed the high level of talent in the WHA at that time on the Jets.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I also think Stützle gets stuck in Germany the entire season and I’m torn on that. High risk, high reward.

Sokolov might be added to the team, but that will depend on his skating. I suspect he is ready from a maturity standpoint but his skating will hold him back. He was on the Russian U20 junior team and performed very well so that says something about his potential.

Reactions: Leaf Lander

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

What's the risk keeping him in Germany for another year?

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Sokolov might be added to the team, but that will depend on his skating. I suspect he is ready from a maturity standpoint but his skating will hold him back. He was on the Russian U20 junior team and performed very well so that says something about his potential.

I had also read hes been working with a skating coach during the long break, and is now down to 217.
I think he's been skating with Batherson recently as well. Im kinda hyped about this player for some reason.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I had also read hes been working with a skating coach during the long break, and is now down to 217.
I think he's been skating with Batherson recently as well. Im kinda hyped about this player for some reason.
Me too. He's got good size & skillset & his only drawback seems to be his skating & he's already working on that & maybe his defensive play which he should learn in Belleville. IMO he will add some offence to the bottom six which in turn will one day help the Sens have a much better bottom six.

Tkachuk - Stuetzle - Batherson - 1 tough guy, two playmakers & hopefully 3 goal scorers
Jarventie - L. Brown - Pinto - 1 goal scorer, 1 playmaker & 1 tough net presence
Formenton - Norris - Guenther (2021 draft) - 1 speedster, 1 goal scorer & 1 playmaker/goal scorer
Paul - Kastelic - Sokolov - 1 good defensive forward, 1 tough guy & faceoff expert & 1 playmaker

Chabot - JBD - dynamic defenceman & a good all around D
Sanderson - Brannstrom - a good all around D & a point producer
Kleven - Schmidt (2021 draft) - two big solid D, one is much better offensively

Murray - Hogberg/Daccord - to be determined.

Reactions: senswon

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That ship has sailed. The team went out and signed Dadonov (3 years, 5.0) and Galchenyuk (1 year, 1.05)

Money well spent. Apparently, Duclair wanted something like 5.5 x 5 years

Nothing against Duclair, but very bad timing for overpricing yourself. And the fact that he didn't think it was a good idea to have an agent actually blew up in his face.

So glad it worked out that way in the end, I have totally moved on from Duclair. Not only we added Dadonov and Galchenyuk, but there's plenty of talented kids eager to prove themselves.

You're probably right with this budget team; but I hope they add a speedster who can finish (either from the current prospects and players or trade/UFA signing). I am looking forward to watching Dadonov and Galchenyuk next season.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This guy has a pure Russian name, I love it. Everytime this thread gets bumped and I see his name, I cannot help myself but to pronounce it in the most heavy russian accent way in my head everytime.

"yEhgrr Sokholovf"

None of that "Alexei" or "Mikhael" none-sense, Egor is a name to be proud of. Egor "the molotov cocktail" Sokolov, I hope he plays a fiery/explosive type game.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Soviet teams were very talented and worked together as 5 man units (3F and 2D). They played an inter-weaving style which was difficult to defend at first, until a strategy was developed after several games. The Soviets were excellent students of the game.

I remember watching the Canadian amateur team play them. I also remember watching the WHA Winnipeg Jets with Hull, Nilsson and Hedberg play them one year. That was an excellent game and showed the high level of talent in the WHA at that time on the Jets.

I lived in Winnipeg at the time. ..Anders and Ulf were huge there. The WHA was good hockey

I also vaguely remember some skinny teenager being in the league...Wayne something or other... I wonder what became of him

Reactions: Cosmix and Poxsonus

Poxsonus

Jan 24, 2016
Saskatchewan
I lived in Winnipeg at the time. ..Anders and Ulf were huge there. The WHA was good hockey

I also vaguely remember some skinny teenager being in the league...Wayne something or other... I wonder what became of him

They were arguably the best team in the world at the tail end of the WHA. Paying attention to Euro leagues/players was a sea change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad