Confirmed with Link: 6 year extension for Kaiden Guhle (5.5m AAV)

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Even the HuGo doubters must be sitting there thinking "Gawd damn, our management team may just know WTF they're doing"
It's all in the ascent. The real trick is sticking the landing. We'll see.

I made the decision to not be a party pooper any more because we simply don't know, so why not look at the bright side until things shake out a bit more?

It also helps that Hughes made decisions that seem to be objectively ideal/optimal (including his wise decision to not sign any of the garbage overpaid UFAs this year).

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It's wild I have leaf fan friends ( I know that an issue on its own) that are trying to chirp me for this signing comparing him to connor timmins :help:
Lol Im suprised leafs fans still chirp you , I demolish every single one I come across , ever since Philip Danault made AM34 his b***** they can't talk about us whatsoever , pathetic franchise and cockroach fans.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Very good deal. This trend will probably continue with the Habs young core signing team friendly contracts. HuGo probably sat all of them down, cut the BS and showed them an outline of the future team and the cap needed to keep all of them. Seems like the players prefer a good future team over a mil more in the bank
I think it's more about securing a contract vs the risk of injuries/downplay. But it also speak about the kind of players who are part of the core.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Great deal - Slaf + Guhle signed longterm for under $14M.

Now I’m expecting a trade for a top-6 fwd to be announced in the next month

Reactions: waitin425

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

I made the decision to not be a party pooper any more because we simply don't know, so why not look at the bright side until things shake out a bit more?

It also helps that Hughes made decisions that seem to be objectively ideal/optimal (including his wise decision to not sign any of the garbage overpaid UFAs this year).
No you're right. Our management team still has a lot of work to do. I just like the idea that there now seems to be a plan. Previous management just seemed to do things by the seat of their pants.

I've noticed a change in your posting style over the last little while. I've seen that you're looking at things with a more open mind. In saying that, I still enjoy how you stick to your guns. When you feel a strong opinion on something. Don't change that.

Agreed, it seems that a lot of thought has been put into his decisions. Also, if you listen (read closely) to what he says. He usually sticks to what he says.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
Lol Im suprised leafs fans still chirp you , I demolish every single one I come across , ever since Philip Danault made AM34 his b***** they can't talk about us whatsoever , pathetic franchise and cockroach fans.
There a relentless bunch. There finally starting to come around from thier first round beating. Believe me I've put them in thier spots countless time, now they come in with little jabs and get out of dodge before facts come out lol

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Offense wise it isn’t a huge pipeline. Habs need some rugged bottom 6 too.

It's not a "huge pipeline " because you already have CC, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach and Newhook at the NHL level. If 1-2 of Demidov, Roy, Mesar, Farrell, Heineman or Kidney can become a top6 forward, you're good to go.

Then for the bottom 6, you have guys like Beck, Kapanen, Davidson and the losers of the top6 competition to bring some skill to the bottom 6 (and some jam for several of them).

As for physical guys, both Xhekaj and Tuch will probably make it at least as 12/13th forwards.

Not even including the 2024 picks apart from Demidov.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Molson had to go just as much as Bergevin. They were a tandem and a terrible one at that. I’ve been a little bit impressed with Molson the last few years. He hired a real president finally and he seems to be letting them do their jobs. I was curious to see if he’d actually be willing to be patient without trying to step on toes and it seems like he is.
In reality, Molson has minimal hockey knowledge. It would be similar if some of us were actually the owner of the team. For some reason, he seemed in awe of Bergevin. So he just gave Bergy the reins, and let him do what he wanted, without question. He seems to be doing the same thing with HuGo. The only difference is HuGo seems to know what they're doing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Loved how he dipped his toes and saw the water was too cold and dipped.

Inquiring about Marchesseault was the right move, walking away when his demands didn't fit into our timeline, was even wiser.

I know a previous GM would have been twerking for him.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
No you're right. Our management team still has a lot of work to do. I just like the idea that there now seems to be a plan. Previous management just seemed to do things by the seat of their pants.

I've noticed a change in your posting style over the last little while. I've seen that you're looking at things with a more open mind. In saying that, I still enjoy how you stick to your guns. When you feel a strong opinion on something. Don't change that.

Agreed, it seems that a lot of thought has been put into his decisions. Also, if you listen (read closely) to what he says. He usually sticks to what he says.
It's all upside: if the Habs succeed, we enjoy it. If the Habs fail, we enjoy shitting on it.

Going back to Guhle --> given the rising cap, it looks like a good gamble for a dman who'd be a fixture in our top3/top4 with upside for more.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I don't project him as a true prototypical #1 , but I see him as a guy who should be able play on the top pairing minutes against anyone, or anchor a second pairing with a strong offensive minded player.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The entire young core seems to be buying into the internal cap Hughes and his team are implementing. Management groups consistently talk about team cultures, this is how you implement a culture. Very well done by our management team!
Exactly as we've been saying for quite some time now.
I want to start seeing the standards that have been applied to the management side to start showing up on the coaching side.
Time for Marty to move on from his hands covering his face as his main reaction to terrible play.

When looking at trade options an understanding of what we will be willing to bring in to this environment might be in order.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don't project him as a true prototypical #1 , but I see him as a guy who should be able play on the top pairing minutes against anyone, or anchor a second pairing with a strong offensive minded player.
This indeed. We need Rein and/or Hutson to transcend him. While we are at it, I think Mailloux can hit Guhle level, which will be the perfect scenario.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It's all upside: if the Habs succeed, we enjoy it. If the Habs fail, we enjoy shitting on it.

Going back to Guhle --> given the rising cap, it looks like a good gamble for a dman who'd be a fixture in our top3/top4 with upside for more.
That's the thing. This could all blow up in our faces. For now, I'm just enjoying the fact that the team seems to have a direction.

Agreed, I do believe this is a good gamble. With Guhle, I think we've just seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to his talent. If his progress continues, and he remains relatively healthy. I think this deal will look like a bargain in a few years.

Ad

Ad

Ad