GDT: #6 | Capitals at Flyers | Tuesday, October 22, 2024 | 6:00 PM Frenzy Time | ESPN

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Stop blamng C

Stop blaming Clarke. It goes way beyond that. The people running this show are just incompetent and bad at their job.

Do you think Comcast/Hilf wont allow them to "rebuild"? Or do you think it is the decision of Hilf and the 3 Amigo's not to rebuild?

I think every single person in management is part of a web that has Clarke and his values at the center (because that's a fact), and it's well past time to rip all that out.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers keep hiring people from the apparatus of Clarke & Snider. So even if not directly at fault anymore their influence is still there & the reasons this organization will never progress unless they break the cycle completely. The Flyers keep slapping a fresh coat of paint on a broken down house every few years & try to tell it’s different when it’s not.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd be a little more inclined to agree with this if they didn't just hand out two 8 year contracts, one of which was to a one-dimensional player. The team needs to suck to properly rebuild but the front office constantly hamstrings them with these shitty contracts.
NJ traded a 1st and 2nd for Meier, who basically put up the exact same offensive numbers as Tippett last season. Extended at $8.8M for 8 years starting at 28 years old.
Meier is a better player than Tippett, but he's also on a line with Nico, not Frost or Couts.

They don't need to suck properly to rebuild, they only need to suck if they're planning to tank for the next five seasons.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think every single person in management is part of a web that has Clarke and his values at the center (because that's a fact), and it's well past time to rip all that out.
You didn't answer my question. The time to keep blaming Clake is past its expiration date.

Oh yes they are.
They are going to get their 18k plus regardless. Any idea how much they upped the ticket prices for this game?

Reactions: deadhead

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
NJ traded a 1st and 2nd for Meier, who basically put up the exact same offensive numbers as Tippett last season. Extended at $8.8M for 8 years starting at 28 years old.
Meier is a better player than Tippett, but he's also on a line with Nico, not Frost or Couts.

They don't need to suck properly to rebuild, they only need to suck if they're planning to tank for the next five seasons.
NJ is in a much different spot than the Flyers don't you think?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You didn't answer my question. The time to keep blaming Clake is past its expiration date.

They are going to get their 18k plus regardless. Any idea how much they upped the ticket prices for this game?

Not if it's still all his people and his values running the show, and everyone hired has his approval. Hell, you think it was a coincidence that he ran to a reporter to gush about how pumped he is to see Tortorella treat players like shit? After he'd arranged the previous GM hire?

Until everything with ties to Clarke or that agrees with Clarke is gone, nothing changes.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Not if it's still all his people and his values running the show, and everyone hired has his approval. Hell, you think it was a coincidence that he ran to a reporter to gush about how pumped he is to see Tortorella treat players like shit? After he'd arranged the previous GM hire?

Until everything with ties to Clarke or that agrees with Clarke is gone, nothing changes.
The organization is incompetent. Has zero to do with Clarke.

• Haha
Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
They should rebuild.

They put together one of the youngest teams in the league and play like a young, inexperienced team.

God the FO sucks! This is awful to watch.

Reality check, what do you think a rebuild looks like? It's ugly as sin. Get used to it.

This is a team that is pressing, struggling to finish plays, gets caught out of position, etc.
That's what happens when you put a very young team on the ice against veteran laden teams.
They make mistakes, they make one too many passes, they don't know when to gamble.

This game came down to the Flyers blowing 3 breakaways and Couts hitting the cross bar while the Caps had two SH breakaways and scored on both. The third goal was a lucky bounce off Zamula's skate.

“Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems. Somewhere in between lies realty.”

At some point they'll get the breaks, go on a run and think they've turned the corner.
And that will be as misleading as the current stretch.

This is a talented young team with some serious flaws, they need two top six centers and a top four LHD. And maybe a true franchise goalie (Ersson might be more suited to be a 1B).

Right now, Frost and Couts are 3C material, Poehling and Cates 4C and Laughton better at LW.
York - Sanheim are fine, but you need another pair to go with them.

On the other hand, I'm not giving up on Drysdale, he reminds me of Sanheim a few years ago when he tried to do too much on a regular basis and was a mistake waiting to happen.

TK and Tippett are pressing, but they have a tendency to go hot and cold. When they get hot the goals come in bunches.

Zamula is a placeholder as is Risto, may take two years but they're not in the future plan.

Brink is improving, but has a way to go.
Not sure there's much more in Farabee, but it might help if he had a real center.

It's going to be a long season, so will 2025-26. Rebuilds take time.

Torts won't quit, though he might strangle one of his players at some point.
Imagine trading all the capital for a guy that isn't in their future plan....man, that's some great asset management there

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It's pretty telling that I have been a fan since 1980, travelled to Ottawa to watch the Flyers live before, yet could have watched tonight's game and just didn't even care to bother. That's what they have done....made a lifelong fan not care anymore.

New era is right

Also...I thought Seeler would fix the defense? How about the whisperer? He not whispering anymore....lol.
40 plus years for me, many in the last 20 years would plan my social life around them.

I still care, but man its so depressing knowing for fact they are at minimum 10 years from being maybe even a playoff team.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
40 plus years for me, many in the last 20 years would plan my social life around them.

I still care, but man its so depressing knowing for fact they are at minimum 10 years from being maybe even a playoff team.

You are the most dramatic Flyers fan I have ever met lol. You really think Michkov is not going to play in the postseason for his first 10 years? The situation here isn't THAT dire. They do have 3 firsts and 3 seconds next season. Hit on a couple of them and it will be huge.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
The organization is incompetent. Has zero to do with Clarke.
1729697928356.png

After repeatedly being told exactly why the organization being incompetent has to do with the regime following the conclusions of the Broad St Bullies era, you still can't seem to get it through to you why the guy who everyone in the organization has direct ties to and follows his school of thought, is connected to the state of the organization.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
You are the most dramatic Flyers fan I have ever met lol. You really think Michkov is not going to play in the postseason for his first 10 years? The situation here isn't THAT dire. They do have 3 firsts and 3 seconds next season. Hit on a couple of them and it will be huge.
It is that dire but not because of their assets or opportunity. It’s that dire because of the culture and the management. Which has always been the case.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
They should rebuild.

They put together one of the youngest teams in the league and play like a young, inexperienced team.

God the FO sucks! This is awful to watch.

Reality check, what do you think a rebuild looks like? It's ugly as sin. Get used to it.

This is a team that is pressing, struggling to finish plays, gets caught out of position, etc.
That's what happens when you put a very young team on the ice against veteran laden teams.
They make mistakes, they make one too many passes, they don't know when to gamble.

This game came down to the Flyers blowing 3 breakaways and Couts hitting the cross bar while the Caps had two SH breakaways and scored on both. The third goal was a lucky bounce off Zamula's skate.

“Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems. Somewhere in between lies realty.”

At some point they'll get the breaks, go on a run and think they've turned the corner.
And that will be as misleading as the current stretch.

This is a talented young team with some serious flaws, they need two top six centers and a top four LHD. And maybe a true franchise goalie (Ersson might be more suited to be a 1B).

Right now, Frost and Couts are 3C material, Poehling and Cates 4C and Laughton better at LW.
York - Sanheim are fine, but you need another pair to go with them.

On the other hand, I'm not giving up on Drysdale, he reminds me of Sanheim a few years ago when he tried to do too much on a regular basis and was a mistake waiting to happen.

TK and Tippett are pressing, but they have a tendency to go hot and cold. When they get hot the goals come in bunches.

Zamula is a placeholder as is Risto, may take two years but they're not in the future plan.

Brink is improving, but has a way to go.
Not sure there's much more in Farabee, but it might help if he had a real center.

It's going to be a long season, so will 2025-26. Rebuilds take time.

Torts won't quit, though he might strangle one of his players at some point.
Wait, I thought any contending team would love Cates in in their middle six? Now he's a 4th liner?

Most of us don't care the team is bad. We care the team is bad because they just keep resigning everyone under the sun for their "rebuild". Tippet? 8 years. Hathaway? Resign him day 1 it's possible. Laughton? Keep him until his value is run into the dirt.

The cap is maxed, and this is the product they put on the ice? Scratching players like Frost and Brink meanwhile Tippet is playing like hot garbage but gets zero punishment? This team has no identity. The "rebuild" is already going down the path to mediocrity. Remember when they asked Danny where he was going to find elite talent, and he said they drafted high [Michkov and Gauthier] the last 2 years?

This is the team Briere thinks has enough talent to compete for the cup. You're looking at it. Add some B level prospects like Bonk. Do you think this is a cup calibre team? I hope not, because this team if f***ing trash.

Yes they aren't as bad as their record suggests, but they sure as hell aren't good enough to be worth caring about until major changes are made. Again.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
View attachment 920508

After repeatedly being told exactly why the organization being incompetent has to do with the regime following the conclusions of the Broad St Bullies era, you still can't seem to get it through to you why the guy who everyone in the organization has direct ties to and follows his school of thought, is connected to the state of the organization.
So the decisions that this group makes is because of Clarke's and it is his fault right? Take a walk. The current incompetence has nothing to do with Clarke. The 3 stooges are making these decisions all on their own along with the Hilf.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
10 may be a stretch, but 5-10 for sure, this team is putrid and only appears to be regressing,

MM could also force his way out sooner than later. The Torts doghouse is coming very soon and things could start to fracture.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Then you are kinda hoping large swaths of the players suck which include some we are putting some hope in in the future or players that are expendable have no value because they are terrible
Most of the "young" guys have already been molded into safe, middling non impactful pieces. Guys like Frost and Farabee aren't going to take some giant step forward. They are who they are at this point.

Guys like Foerster, York and Brink are on their way there. There isn't some hidden next gear for this group and what natural talent they have will be beat out of them the way the Flyers have consistently done for over a decade.

So no, I don't really care what happens to the young guys, because I already view them as unsalvagable, damaged goods.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NJ is in a much different spot than the Flyers don't you think?
NJ probably stopped their rebuild a year or two early.
They have a 2-3 year window before they'll have to step the process back.
Basically gambling that Markstrom will have two good seasons in a row.

Meier was far more costly than Tippett, and TK didn't require giving up assets.
FAs are getting more expensive as the Cap rises.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wait, I thought any contending team would love Cates in in their middle six? Now he's a 4th liner?

Most of us don't care the team is bad. We care the team is bad because they just keep resigning everyone under the sun for their "rebuild". Tippet? 8 years. Hathaway? Resign him day 1 it's possible. Laughton? Keep him until his value is run into the dirt.

The cap is maxed, and this is the product they put on the ice? Scratching players like Frost and Brink meanwhile Tippet is playing like hot garbage but gets zero punishment? This team has no identity. The "rebuild" is already going down the path to mediocrity. Remember when they asked Danny where he was going to find elite talent, and he said they drafted high [Michkov and Gauthier] the last 2 years?

This is the team Briere thinks has enough talent to compete for the cup. You're looking at it. Add some B level prospects like Bonk. Do you think this is a cup calibre team? I hope not, because this team if f***ing trash.

Yes they aren't as bad as their record suggests, but they sure as hell aren't good enough to be worth caring about until major changes are made. Again.
Quote please. All this FO has said from day 1 is they're rebuilding, and Michkov coming over didn't change their schedule (which was after his 3 years, that is 2026-27 or later).
Briere has never said this team can compete for a Cup. Torts laughed at that suggestion.

The cap is maxed b/c they used it to obtain two more 1st rd picks instead of 2nd and 3rd rd picks.
Next year Peterson and Johansen (whatever happens) are off the books.
Briere inherited Sanheim, Couts, Risto, Laughton and Deslaurier contracts.
Ate the Hayes, Atkinson and TDA contracts.

Hathaway and Seeler cost $5M between them, replacements would cost $2M, so total cap hit is $3M.
They're not keeping this team from making moves.
They have no plans to pursue FAs for a couple more years, nor should they.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad