Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I think they have Drysdale which is very exciting if the Wings take a forward.

I dont really understand this one but ok.

No problem! Lots can happen/change leading up to the draft day nothing is 100 percent just basing it on the information I have been provided.

I think Quinn is a very different player from what most people seem to think. He is a two way forward, not just a goal scorer, can set it up and put them in he is pretty versitile. I think his game has alot of room to grow too, he is just scratching the surface of what he is capable of he is still growing. He is a late bloomer physically.

He was on pace for 60 goals. In his last 40 games he had something like 44 goals. He was driving the bus for the 67's down the stretch. Far more complete player than Perfetti, bigger better skater. Perfetti might have the most natural skill in the draft.

Its a good year to have two top 5 picks, alot of great players available.

Dorion mentioned that the 2nd tier after Lafeniere is 2 players. Do you know if those players are Byfield & Stutzle? Also which of the two do they have ranked higher?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I personally have the draft the draft going like this as of right now

1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle

4 gets more interesting. I see the wings debating between Drysdale and Rossi. The Red Wings have some wing prospects/young wingers as well. They have Mantha/Bertuzzi/Zadina/Rasmussen along with having Fabbri and Larkin as wingers first. Larkin seems comfortable on the wing. So thats 6 names potentially speaking. They have Velano and thats really it in terms of pure center prospects and they dont really have any defensive prospects either. So I have them taking one of these guys.

Whoever the wings dont take here I will gladly take at 5. I prefer Rossi. Can never have enough center prospects. We should take as many centers as possible. See who pans out and worst case transition them on the wing. Plus Rossi seems like the typical sens pick with the high IQ.

Then I would try and use the Isles pick to trade up depending on where it lands

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's a legit top 10 pick. I think a closer debate would be Holtz vs Quinn. Holtz is also legit top 10. Both players likely have teams that put them outside the top 10. Askarov and Lundell deserve top 10 consideration as well.

Absolutely. He should go in the top 10, but he wouldn't be my top available player at 5th.

I've said before though that Quinn checks off so many boxes for the Sens that I wouldn't be shocked if he's our pick at 5.

He's a safe pick - hard to see him not succeeding at the NHL level in some capacity due to his well-rounded skill set and good tools. Has a very steep development curve year-to-year, similar to guys like Batherson and Pinto, and finished the season exceptionally strong. Good two-way player and all indications are he's a high character kid. Not to mention he's a local guy who's played his whole hockey career in the Ottawa area.

These all all things the Sens scouting staff have historically valued tremendously in their selections. And the truth is that NHL scouting staffs have widely varying lists from the consensus. People were shocked at hockeyprospect.com's list where Quinn was 6th and Rossi was 9th, but I think a lot of scouting staffs believe that Quinn has the higher pro-upside.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not a Sens fan but I'm a bit surprised that so few people here appear to be behind Drysdale at #5.

From the outside, getting a potential 1C in Byfield/Stutzle + the highest ranked defenseman in the draft appears to be quite a homerun. Why would you guys prefer two forwards?
BPA. We have lots of picks. Trades can be made and more drafts after this year. That’s why we’re hoping for BPA.
If drysdale is tops on their list at 5 then great.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

No problem! Lots can happen/change leading up to the draft day nothing is 100 percent just basing it on the information I have been provided.

I totally respect you sticking your neck out with info.

As someone who was also providing info in the past people will drill you often negatively no matter what information you provide and it makes it tough to stick down that path.

I hope you can keep it up bert!

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I knew they'd be higher on Quinn than most given what they typically look for in players, but 5th is too high.

Would be pretty disappointed if they passed up someone like Raymond or Perfetti for Quinn, and I'm someone that has been pumping Quinn's tires for awhile.

Drafting Quinn at 5 would be such a senators thing.

He's not gonna be a top 5 player in this draft, might not even be top 10.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Absolutely. He should go in the top 10, but he wouldn't be my top available player at 5th.

I've said before though that Quinn checks off so many boxes for the Sens that I wouldn't be shocked if he's our pick at 5.

He's a safe pick - hard to see him not succeeding at the NHL level in some capacity due to his well-rounded skill set and good tools. Has a very steep development curve year-to-year, similar to guys like Batherson and Pinto, and finished the season exceptionally strong. Good two-way player and all indications are he's a high character kid. Not to mention he's a local guy who's played his whole hockey career in the Ottawa area.

These all all things the Sens scouting staff have historically valued tremendously in their selections. And the truth is that NHL scouting staffs have widely varying lists from the consensus. People were shocked at hockeyprospect.com's list where Quinn was 6th and Rossi was 9th, but I think a lot of scouting staffs believe that Quinn has the higher pro-upside.
Seems to be a concern with Rossi as to how much he can improve from here ... but I think he could be a star. I think he'll try like hell to be one. I get the the concern though.

Reactions: Icelevel

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think if you look at the way this current management team drafts it shouldn't suprise anyone they are going to stay away from undersized skiilled forwards if there are other options of players in the same tier that arent on the smaller side.

His hockey IQ is absolutely not a detriment. He is a way harder player than Raymond and Perfetti. Anyway its ok people in ottawa dont like him I find shocking given how insanely good he was playing right in front of everyone but to each is their own. If someone (not saying you) have Rossi in a different tier I am confident you probably didnt watch very many games this year.

Yeah I think we should expect that if we're going for a forward at 5th, it's probably not going to be the small skill guys in Raymond, Perfetti or even Rossi, based on what traits the Sens staff values over others.

He's absolutely in the same tier as Rossi for me. I think anywhere between 7-10 is where both players should go. I just would prefer we went with Raymond, Perfetti or Drysdale at 5. Quinn should be a trade up target if the Isles lose their play-in series and we get another pick in the top 15.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Quinn > Rossi.

Don't come at me. Quinn will be the better NHL player. Bookmark this. Rossi screams 60 point 2nd line center. Quinn has the size, the skating and an already developed NHL shot, also a lot more to grow into than Rossi.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Drafting Quinn at 5 would be such a senators thing.

He's not gonna be a top 5 player in this draft, might not even be top 10.

That's possible, but I'm almost certain Quinn is going to be a decent NHLer in some capacity. He has a great shot, great hands, good speed, good IQ/vision, good two-way play and effort level, and is not undersized. Very few weaknesses in his game.

He's a safer pick than a guy like Raymond or Perfetti, and the Sens staff loves players that they think have a low chance of busting outright.

In previous years they have been more than happy to pass up higher upside players to draft the "safe" guy and we should expect the same to happen in 2020.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
BPA. We have lots of picks. Trades can be made and more drafts after this year. That’s why we’re hoping for BPA.
If drysdale is tops on their list at 5 then
BPA depending on who? The scouts decide that & maybe they are lucky with who they think is the BPA or maybe they get it wrong again. There is zero consensus here as to how these players are ranked after the first three so who knows who will be the BPA?

Lots of players have been picked ahead of guys who turned out to be the better player so all we can do is hope that our scouts actually get it right. We missed Kopitar & Scheifele & lots of teams missed out on Stone & Hoffman as the BPA.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I’m a big fan of Quinn. Is he slight “reach” at 5? Maybe. But people thought Scheifele was a reach in his draft, and look how that turned out.

I’d have Drysdale ahead of him if he’s available, but if it’s between Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, or Quinn, I wouldn’t be disappointed with Quinn.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

I dont really understand this one but ok.

I think Quinn is a very different player from what most people seem to think. He is a two way forward, not just a goal scorer, can set it up and put them in he is pretty versitile. I think his game has alot of room to grow too, he is just scratching the surface of what he is capable of he is still growing. He is a late bloomer physically.

He was on pace for 60 goals. In his last 40 games he had something like 44 goals. He was driving the bus for the 67's down the stretch. Far more complete player than Perfetti, bigger better skater. Perfetti might have the most natural skill in the draft.

Its a good year to have two top 5 picks, alot of great players available.
Yeah I definitely like Quinn over perfetti at this point. Quinn just started working out the last few years. He makes things happen on his own. And he’s obviously bigger than perfetti or Raymond.

Not unreasonable to believe he’s one of the better chances at becoming a consistent 30-40 goal scorer.
(Earlier in the year I wasn’t so high on him)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rossi in a different tier to Quinn?

I didn't watch a ton of 67's games but all the games I saw I always left more impressed by Quinn than Rossi personally.
I think that was a common theme atleast with the people I went to the games with. Going to see 23 but leaving more impressed with 22. Both are studs, really sad we didnt get to see what they could do in the playoffs.

Dorion mentioned that the 2nd tier after Lafeniere is 2 players. Do you know if those players are Byfield & Stutzle? Also which of the two do they have ranked higher?
Yes I believe he was talking about Byfield and Stutzle, no I dont know who they have higher I think they see them as very similar players. In some ways id almost rather pick 3rd as to not have to make the decision. Just extatic that were getting one of them. Even more excited at the possibility of Detroit passing on Drysdale and the sens leaving with Stutzle/Byfield and Drysdale. WOW.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I’m a big fan of Quinn. Is he slight “reach” at 5? Maybe. But people thought Scheifele was a reach in his draft, and look how that turned out.

I’d have Drysdale ahead of him if he’s available, but if it’s between Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, or Quinn, I wouldn’t be disappointed with Quinn.
Scheifele and Quinn aren’t really comparable at all.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think that was a common theme atleast with the people I went to the games with. Going to see 23 but leaving more impressed with 22. Both are studs, really sad we didnt get to see what they could do in the playoffs.

Yes I believe he was talking about Byfield and Stutzle, no I dont know who they have higher I think they see them as very similar players. In some ways id almost rather pick 3rd as to not have to make the decision. Just extatic that were getting one of them. Even more excited at the possibility of Detroit passing on Drysdale and the sens leaving with Stutzle/Byfield and Drysdale. WOW.

Leaving with Stutzle and Drysdale could be like getting Hossa and Redden in one draft. They’d be pillars for years.

I was disappointed with missing out on Lafreniere because of the marketing value he would have brought, but from a pure hockey perspective, we’re still going to get a haul.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not similar players in style, you’re right. But they’re similar in that they’re both risers.
Id say they have some similarities in style, both right handed shots that are versitile players that play hard both ways and are responsible defensively. Quinn plays wing Scheifele plays center and Scheifele is bigger, both traits are obviously more valuable but I think they have some similar qualities. Quinn had a much better season this year than Scheifele did in his draft year.

Scheifele and Quinn aren’t really comparable at all.
Why not?

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
5th OVR + Logan Brown + NYI 1st for 2nd OVR from the Kings?

I still believe in L. Brown and I really hope we don't trade him in the next two seasons. He's had some stunted development from injuries but the skill is there, the potential is still there. I want to see him given more leeway, if he can be healthy for a couple years he can still become something very good. Very big players often take longer to find their game in the NHL, he shows enough flashes for me that I think there's still something there, has good hands for a big man and very good vision, he should at least be playable although his skating wants improvement.

I would not do 5th+21st+LB for 2nd because I'm not done with LB yet. Lot's of very good players at 5 too.

Reactions: Icelevel

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Quinn certainly gives me Monahan vibes. We’re in kind of a no mans land for him though. It would be considered a big stretch and we wouldn’t really know the results for a few years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Quinn could be the best goal scorer in this draft, Holtz is another who I would certainly have them in the conversation with the small forwards like Raymond, Perfetti & Rossi. They are all in the same tier for me, just like I think Sanderson is in the same tier as Drysdale. And Ottawa could use a goal scoring RWer.

Tier 1: Lafreniere, Byfield & Stutzle
Tier 2: Drysdale & Sanderson
Tier 3: Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Quinn & Holtz
Tier 4: Askarov, Lundell, Holloway, Mercer, Gunler
Tier 5: Guhle, Schneider, Barron, O'Rourke
Tier 6: Jarvis, Zary, Lapierre, Perrault, Amirov, Bourque

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can’t see Quinn at 5 ever looking like a smart pick, either in hindsight or foresight.

Out of the scouts in McKenzies none had him as high as 5, otherwise it would have been stated as was all others who received top 5 votes. Obviously that’s not the be all end all, I understand very well.

Will obviously trust should we take him, but I don’t see that happening.

Obviously my own personal view on him has a bias there, as I would have him on a bubble of the top 10 one way or the other.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I've been on the Rossi train for 2 years now. I really think he's going to be a very special player that will make players around him better. He's strong against the boards and can always find someone open. Personally I think a player like Barron, Schneider, Kleven (committed to North Dakota) would be great to get later on over Drysdale.

Nah man he's small and has no room for growth, like, at all.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad