Post-Game Talk: #57 FLYERS 5 at Wild 4, Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019, 8:00 pm ET

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I had the game on but wasn’t really focused on it but Ghost only got 7 minutes 5v5. No bueno. Sanheim and Provorov tripled him up.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One man's sturgeon is another man's pigeon. Sounds fishy to me.

Recalls the old days of Fish Invictus

fishheads.jpg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh he does some frustrating things for sure, but we when we have so many different ways to evaluate players and he consistently shows well in basically all of them, etc.

We can even show he's not a passenger numerically.

I think the problem is that when you move around the Flyers lineup you can see a sizeable decline in quality of teammates. The Flyers also continually have a shitty second PP unit as well.

That’s where the concern is coming from. He played primarily on the Leafs third line last year but his common linemates were Bozak & Marner. He’s not getting those luxuries here this year but perhaps that can change next year.

Obviously Babcock is a better coach than Hakstol & Gordon too.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Ghost probably had the worst period of his career in the first, just a bad penalty and awful turnovers. But he redeemed himself and finally looks like himself on the PP. The shot to set up the first PP goal wasn't a blaster, just really effective, tippable pass. The assist on the 2nd JVR goal was an absolute rocket that no goalie can cotrol and your netfront hands guy was able to stuff in. Just like they draw it up.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Makes Most sense I agree. But he seems to be leaning to that top line.

Sadly leaves JVR and Simmer on same line, Sommonds has to go soon
If it were up to me, we'd get rid of Simmonds and then the rest of the year go with

Giroux-Couturier-TK
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
JVR-Laughton-Bailey
Who-Even-Cares

And then next year Frost for sure and maybe one of the college guys (Allison? Laczynski?)

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think the problem is that when you move around the Flyers lineup you can see a sizeable decline in quality of teammates. The Flyers also continually have a ****ty second PP unit as well.

That’s where the concern is coming from. He played primarily on the Leafs third line last year but his common linemates were Bozak & Marner. He’s not getting those luxuries here this year but perhaps that can change next year.

Obviously Babcock is a better coach than Hakstol & Gordon too.

I think Jojo was talking Voracek and you're talking about JVR. Unless I'm wrong.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
During the dead puck era? I remember people making jokes about Phil Housley being caught up ice all the time when I started watching hockey seriously. I posted a few months back that Denis Savard wouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL today.

Bure took a ton of heat for being a cherrypicker.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This team needs a system where Provy, Ghost and Sanheim are encouraged to carry the puck out and skate it into the offensive zone more, and make fewer back/cross passes in their own zone. Teams absolutely know it's coming and force turnovers off it. Barring that, if you want the defense to be forced to make 2+ passes to get it out of the zone, the forwards must support the puck better and give them safer outlets.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Serious question: When did insanely skilled players trying wacky things that sometimes blow up in their faces go from endearing to evil?

Or was it always that way for fans but the media covered it differently?
When GM's started placing a premium on structure versus skill. A good majority of those wacky skilled guys were European too, so it was an easy target for the north american blowhards in the media (cough... Cherry... cough). Fan perception seemed to change from there.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Bailey looked alright. He helped the first goal, made a few nice hits.

Although, u can tell he was new to the system. Hence why Myers is out.

Although I can’t wait till he plays

Reactions: Foggy14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad