50 goals, 40 assists = 30 goals and how many assists?

50 goals and 40 assists is equal to 30 goals and how many assists?

• Total voters

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I'm the only one who think assist is more impressive than goal?!

There's no set science to it. An assist can be out of this world but can also be a drop pass in your own zone. A goal could be an end-of-year highlight or it can be something that hits your dong on the way in. Generally speaking though, scoring is harder than assisting. The numbers speak for themselves.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean, technically there is.

There's 2 assists available per goal scored after all. A team could have a pair of 50 point players and only have scored 50 total goals after all. Having two 50 goal scorers means you've scored 100, it is much more desirable and it's a harder act than getting 50 assists. That's why last season 31 players registered 51 assists whereas only 2 scored 50 goals.

For me, a 50 + 30 season is as impressive and valuable as a 30 + 80.

So a 30 point gap? You thought Cheechoo was just was valuable as Thornton?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
So a 30 point gap? You thought Cheechoo was just was valuable as Thornton?

As i've said in a different post, in that situation give me Thornton if you're making me choose but Cheechoo's season was absolute insanity.

There is an infinite list of players playing on the wing of a superstar passer who don't score 56 goals after all.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well, it's not quite what i'm saying - there's quite a gap in the total points there after all. 96 assists is incredible, moreso than 56 goals in my eyes. They're on the same line so there's some cross-pollination there of course but give me Thornton there. It's a little disingenuous to use Cheechoo too, what came after this isn't hugely relevant to the point we're discussing.

How is it disingenuous as I cited other players that season?

Also yes there is a larger gap than the example given but there is also a larger gap in goals, which is being weighted more heavily in the example given as well?

Remember You stated that,

For me, a 50 + 30 season is as impressive and valuable as a 30 + 80.

Yes Thornton had more assists, 16 of them than in your example but Cheecho also had 6 more goals than your example, as well as 7 more assists that you don't count as high.

According to your statement Cheechoo is more impressive, right?

But don't use him use Ovechkin instead, something this thread is all about after all, and inset his 52 goals and 54 assists, was he more valuable than Thornton?

I think not as the formula you cited is deeply flawed.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
How is it disingenuous as I cited other players that season?

Also yes there is a larger gap than the example given but there is also a larger gap in goals, which is being weighted more heavily in the example given as well?

Remember You stated that,

Yes Thornton had more assists, 16 of them than in your example but Cheecho also had 6 more goals than your example, as well as 7 more assists that you don't count as high.

According to your statement Cheechoo is more impressive, right?

But don't use him use Ovechkin instead, something this thread is all about after all, and inset his 52 goals and 54 assists, was he more valuable than Thornton?

I think not as the formula you cited is deeply flawed.

It's not an exact science, nor something i'd ever thought about before this thread existed :D

I said it's disingenuous because Cheechoo is obviously a unique situation. There's going to be shades of grey of course, for example like with Thornton when he's the one setting up most of the 56 goals.

It's not like we can come up with a black and white answer here after all.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I don't think there's an exact formula, but at the end of the day someone needs to put the puck in the net. I think you take the goal scorer, it takes at least 70+ assists to match that imo. Marner's great- I'd take Matthews or Tavares to build around. Feel like there are much fewer potential 50 goal guys than there are 70 assist possibilities, so goals it is.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
~1.7 assists per goal it was, IIRC. So 75 out of those choices.

Indeed, it's odd people consider assists to be worth the same as goals when there are 2 assists per goal. If they introduced tertiary assists, do you think everyone becomes a better playmaker because they get more points, too?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Each goal and each assist are equal to exactly one point

1G = 1A is nonsensical. Just because the NHL arbitrarily decided 1 point is either a goal or an assist doesn't mean they are of equal value to a team. Goals are harder to get than assists because secondary assists exist.

An interesting question would be how do the values of goals and primary assists compare. Probably much closer to 1-1

Any adjustment is better. Just try with different values.

Just start with a basic thing of:

Goal = 1.5
1st Assist = 1.0
2nd Assist = 0.5

Reactions: Chrisgo

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

It's a good question and a tough answer. Both players were amazing that season.

The players recognized it, and nominated Ovechkin as a Pearson finalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad