Post-Game Talk: #5| FLYERS at Dallas |Sat., Oct. 18, 2014|

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Del Zotto has been fine this seasons so far. He's contributing with puck movement and he isn't as bad defensively or with decision-making as I was led to believe. If this D were actually a good D full of actual NHL caliber players then he'd be a fine bottom three D I think.

Grossmann is far worse and definitely far more limited in his capabilities. Schenn too probably.

Edit: Really though, outside of Coburn, Streit, and I guess Mac there's a pretty big drop-off so not much point in arguing who is on top.

Del Zotto's defense has actually been pretty terrible. I went through every goal against in the first 3 games and he was directly responsible for a number of them and indirectly for a few others. I think he was actually the biggest culprit through the first 3 with Luke and Vinny, Vinny being the least bad of the 3.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
MacD actually had a great keep for Couts' goal. I thought he had a pretty good game, I only remember one bad **** up and the way Berube was changing around pairings, it's not surprising.

But for real, what the hell was going on with our pairings and line combinations tonight?

AMac-Streit
Grossmann-AMac
AMac-Schenn
Schultz-AMac

AMac-Streit
Grossmann-Streit
Schultz-Streit
Streit-Schenn

all happened... I am almost certain.

SgtJoseph*

Del Zotto's defense has actually been pretty terrible. I went through every goal against in the first 3 games and he was directly responsible for a number of them and indirectly for a few others. I think he was actually the biggest culprit through the first 3 with Luke and Vinny, Vinny being the least bad of the 3.

But you would think Grossman was the culprit all along ?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Our offensive players certainly have defensive assignments they have bungled as well . Its OBVIOUS our D is not great, but its not all on them in my view . Much needed win for the WHOLE club tonight .

Oh I agree, team defense as a whole has been an issue.

SgtJoseph*

weird-ass game...cant believe we came back to win it just dreading a so...also nice to shut up the idiot fox announcers talking complete **** about us when they had lead .

Fox announcers ? How bout some of the folks on here ! LOL

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lmao at Giroux post game interview:

Q: 'You shot a lot at him, did the scouting report say he gives up rebounds?'

Giroux: 'No, it is more the scouting report that Wayne Simmonds is gona score from there.'

:laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
AMac-Streit
Grossmann-AMac
AMac-Schenn
Schultz-AMac

AMac-Streit
Grossmann-Streit
Schultz-Streit
Streit-Schenn

all happened... I am almost certain.

That second goal made me mad because it was a breakdown of team defense when Dallas had the puck behind their own net, and then Mason was an inch from making an amazing save.

And then I realized Streit and LSchenn were the two defensemen and my mind couldn't even process it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

Giroux: 'No, it is more the scouting report that Wayne Simmonds is gona score from there.'

that is a golden quote :laugh:.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Come on, when we give up 23 shots and have to score 6 goals, a lot was awful. That won't happen again and we would love to say this was just an off night, but this D is real bad. Coburn will help, but it was an absolute train wreck tonight.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
People saying "MDZ has been ok".... what in the world are you watching? Tonight was his best game so far this year, if only because he didn't make any colossal mistakes.

He's an OFD who hasn't provided a shred of offense, and his positional work defensively has been at a sub-NHL level. I agree Grossmann is a more immediate concern, but frankly I'd be surprised if MDZ is still around at the All Star break

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia

Funnier is the Berube interview.....Panotch was babbling and Berube was making faces and said "what did you say?" Berube was thinking WTF are you babbling ..idiot...lol

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
On the 4 th goal G def made a mistake, but whenever both of your d men go behind the net to chase the puck carrier, they get the blame.

Yeh.

That is a hard one for any centre. You are following your man (the trailer) to the corner, technically your job. There are only a few guys in the league who read that breakdown quickly enough to get to the front of the net. (Couturier would likely be one tbh.)

Giroux did make a great play in the 2nd period on a breakdown to intercept a puck coming from the right corner (Dallas's right) to the left side (Dallas's left) in front with Seguin? lurking all on his own when one of the D pinched and G basically had to play LD for 10 seconds.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Someone was saying Giroux has been terrible on faceoffs all season, when what actually happened is that Bergeron dominated him in the first game and he has been good ever since.

4-17 against Boston

51-42 since

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well, until this game I don't think Grossmann had been out for a goal against.

I think MDZ has looked better then he's actually been because he leaves his partner out to dry a lot, makes it look like it's on the other guy. A lot of those goals against where theres a guy wide open around the net is because of MDZ not covering his man. He also can't clear the crease worth ****. He's actually good with the puck though, so its a trade off.

Whether he's been out for goals against or not doesn't change the fact that he's been absolutely horrible. If he hadn't been out for many goals against then that's just pure incredible luck. He's been horrible and will continue to be horrible until we send him to be horrible somewhere else.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Someone was saying Giroux has been terrible on faceoffs all season, when what actually happened is that Bergeron dominated him in the first game and he has been good ever since.

4-17 against Boston

51-42 since

YA, I wonder if Bergy has ever lost at home through a whole game ?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
People saying "MDZ has been ok".... what in the world are you watching? Tonight was his best game so far this year, if only because he didn't make any colossal mistakes.

He's an OFD who hasn't provided a shred of offense, and his positional work defensively has been at a sub-NHL level. I agree Grossmann is a more immediate concern, but frankly I'd be surprised if MDZ is still around at the All Star break

He is providing the offence tbh, he moves the puck nicely, has nice mitts and can get a puck out of the zone.

But his D is horrendous. He tries as well... which is almost worse, I mean, he works his arse off on the boards while being a smaller guy, but he has no hockey sense defensively to go to the right place at the right time.

You can see how he so frustrating for Rags fans... he has talent, but he is likely gone from the league pretty soon due to his D. Quite sad in a way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad