5 d men in the top 10 highest paid players for 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It makes sense. The most valuable players in the game are defensemen and centers and it shows in the salary distribution.

When good well-rounded defensemen hit UFA they are extremely highly valued because you can only get them by drafting the majority of the time. They command more of a premium than any other position because they have the highest impact. Those top defensemen are playing 27-28 minutes a night compared to forwards that play 19-20. There's also a shortage of quality defensemen in the NHL which raises the price and increases leverage for the player even more.

If I have the choice between an elite defensemen and an elite center to start a rebuild, I would start with the defensemen. Of course exceptions apply I.E. McDavid.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
It makes sense. The most valuable players in the game are defensemen and centers and it shows in the salary distribution.

When good well-rounded defensemen hit UFA they are extremely highly valued because you can only get them by drafting the majority of the time. They command more of a premium than any other position because they have the highest impact. Those top defensemen are playing 27-28 minutes a night compared to forwards that play 19-20. There's also a shortage of quality defensemen in the NHL which raises the price and increases leverage for the player even more.

If I have the choice between an elite defensemen and an elite center to start a rebuild, I would start with the defensemen. Of course exceptions apply I.E. McDavid.
Dunno about that. In general I think you need to go with the forward. The only guy I’d even consider to start a franchise among the likes of Mack, kuch, matthews, barkov, drai etc is Makar.
It’s up to debate who you think is number 2, but I probably wouldn’t even consider putting whoever that player is, in the group above.

Reactions: gary69 and LokiDog

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dunno about that. In general I think you need to go with the forward. The only guy I’d even consider to start a franchise among the likes of Mack, kuch, matthews, barkov, drai etc is Makar.
It’s up to debate who you think is number 2, but I probably wouldn’t even consider putting whoever that player is, in the group above.

I agree because there aren't enough defensemen that impact the game to that level. Which comes back to my initial point - there's a lack of quality defensemen in the NHL and guys like Jones and Hamilton can make so much because there's just not enough guys to move around and they have leverage.

McDavid is in a league of his own, after that do you pick Makar or Mackinnon/Kuch?

I pick Makar. At equal/similar talent I pick the defensemen every time.

You can make that analysis at different levels and I would come to the same conclusion. The top players in the league are skewed by forwards and not only in number, but also proportionately to the number of forwards vs number of defensemen. It's just way easier to find an elite forward than to find an elite defensemen.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Who's the other over obvious Nurse ?
I'd probably takes Jones over Hamilton in a vacuum given Hamilton's injury concerns. Hamilton has played over 65 games once in the last 5 seasons. I also don't think he was good when he played last year (although he was great the year before). He can put up points but was back to being bad defensively.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

I talk about this all the damn time. There should be 64 top pairing Dmen or #1 and #2. We don't have that. We do not even have enough actual top 4 D in the league.

Defensemen that are that great have high end value.
Why I was shocked Carolina let Hamilton go or how Blues refused to give Petro what he wanted so what does he do get paid and win a cup with Vegas.

Top Defensemen and Centers are the most important positions. We are seeing it this playoffs.

Reactions: Boud

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I talk about this all the damn time. There should be 64 top pairing Dmen or #1 and #2. We don't have that. We do not even have enough actual top 4 D in the league.

Defensemen that are that great have high end value.
Why I was shocked Carolina let Hamilton go or how Blues refused to give Petro what he wanted so what does he do get paid and win a cup with Vegas.

Top Defensemen and Centers are the most important positions. We are seeing it this playoffs.
Isn’t Florida essentially proving you can win with a deep and versatile blueline where you specifically don’t pay for a premium $10-$12 million defenseman?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Isn’t Florida essentially proving you can win with a deep and versatile blueline where you specifically don’t pay for a premium $10-$12 million defenseman?
Ekblad was paid just over 10% of the cap 7 years ago he has one more year on his current contract.

With projections of the cap if he signed an extension today he would be above 9 million a year for the same cap%.

Which means depending how the contract is structured he could be on this list similar to how Nurse is.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad