Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What on earth is going on? Casey isn't ready to start work? He wants to stay in an athletic dorm one more year? What's the point? His whole college experience was geared to get him to this moment. And he's got cold feet? Hopefully it's just transient whatever it is.

I suddenly had the urge to search "Matt Leinart hot tub."

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
What on earth is going on? Casey isn't ready to start work? He wants to stay in an athletic dorm one more year? What's the point? His whole college experience was geared to get him to this moment. And he's got cold feet? Hopefully it's just transient whatever it is.

Uh oh. Looks like Hutson will go #1 in a redraft.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Actually Im still on the fence about it

It really depends what happens with Dougie. Im currently of the belief he stays 3/4 and possibly even the final season; I think he means more to this team than we may understand

Though Casey is good enough Im not sure he will wait (or want to); the asset value is too high to just sit on forever. Three or four years in the A for him seems long

Reactions: Guadana and Nubmer6

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

It really depends what happens with Dougie. Im currently of the belief he stays 3/4 and possibly even the final season; I think he means more to this team than we may understand

Though Casey is good enough Im not sure he will wait (or want to); the asset value is too high to just sit on forever. Three or four years in the A for him seems long

I don’t see how we keep Hamilton that long because we have to pay Luke and Nemec at some soon.

And they’ll presumably improve offensively and when they do it won’t make sense to pay Hamilton 9m.

Injuries happen, so opportunities can happen that way for Casey too.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019

Eventually injuries will happen and Casey's time will come. I really think people underestimate the Hamilton situation. Yes he's been great for us, but he's already been getting banged up & as he ages it will only get worse. If Dougie is always missing half a season eventually he will be replaced. Nemec wasn't even supposed to play for us yet but he stole a roster spot due to the Dougie injury. Same can happen for Casey.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don’t see how we keep Hamilton that long because we have to pay Luke and Nemec at some soon.

And they’ll presumably improve offensively and when they do it won’t make sense to pay Hamilton 9m.

We’ll see how things go but with the faith I have in Casey I think next summer will be the time to move forward on from Dougie.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

Injuries do happen

But I think with a rising cap the money is going to come in and help these payments we need to make

Next year Palat will be moved and then the added 4-5m is already enough. After that youll lose Haula or others plus another 4-5m

I think Dougie is a huge part of that locker room and can be a near PPG or 50pt guy on the second pair until the final year of his deal; at that point its really only 3-4m above a normal 2nd pair contract and most contenders have a tougher deal or two

I could see him being moved his final season but before then (which means after Nemec is paid) I doubt, for now; well see how things play out; I think he ends up a 21min a night, 75pt defenseman again this season so itll depend how Nemec progresses

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
It is not yet time to worry or even think about the Devils future of a guy with zero pro games under his belt.
Its just conversation for a forum board at the end of the day; I dont think anyone is worried, just moreso interested

We’ll see how things go but with the faith I have in Casey I think next summer will be the time to move forward on from Dougie.
I just dont see this as realistic - thatd be a really bad look for the club and hes a very good player when healthy

If he has a good to great year, we wouldnt be adding another rookie defenseman over him immediately after; that doesnt sound like something a contending team would do

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Its just conversation for a forum board at the end of the day; I dont think anyone is worried, just moreso interested

I just dont see this as realistic - thatd be a really bad look for the club and hes a very good player when healthy

If he has a good to great year, we wouldnt be adding another rookie defenseman over him immediately after; that doesnt sound like something a contending team would do

The Devils are spending $25M on their defense this year, that's around 30% of the cap. With Luke's second contract it will probably be closer to $32M, which will be around 35%. That's just too much to spend on that position.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The Devils are spending $25M on their defense this year, that's around 30% of the cap. With Luke's second contract it will probably be closer to $32M, which will be around 35%. That's just too much to spend on that position.

I would like to get off of it next year as it’ll make things really tight but I do think you could manage to stomach it and make it work another year. You cannot make it work past 25/26. You cannot be paying all 3 of Luke/Nemec/Dougie 8+ mil

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I would like to get off of it next year as it’ll make things really tight but I do think you could manage to stomach it and make it work another year. You cannot make it work past 25/26. You cannot be paying all 3 of Luke/Nemec/Dougie 8+ mil
but considering the value we save on goaltending, and especially in two years with one of the kids likely starting and a cheap backup (or so I hope, I believe in Daws) - 35% for three defenseman playing 21+ a night is very expensive but seems like it can be made due with

Youll have a very cheap third pair and one or both of Dillon/Siegenthaler gone, Pesce can slide to LD or be moved as well (though moving him would cost something)

The offense is going to be an amalgamation of wingers to supplant into the middle-6 over time and eventually internal replacements so youll save a lot of money that way

Not an easy situation to maneuver but it can be done

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad