Post-Game Talk: #43 - Three Stars - Panthers @ Rangers

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I have to say that I am not impressed with last nights win. I'll take the two points, no doubt, but this it a team that we should have dominated. The 2nd period was abysmal

Start the period on the PP and look atrocious. Have a man advantage for 4 of the first 6 minutes of the period and get 1 fricken shot on net?

Scoring 3 goals in 3:25 late in the game against a beaten team (season wise not just in game) is nice, but where is that effort when it's needed against half way decent teams?

End of the day, we still gave up 35 shots to a very bad team and had that team been a little better, they put us away in the 2nd.

Lets see them put up a 4+ goal performance tonight.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I have to say that I am not impressed with last nights win. I'll take the two points, no doubt, but this it a team that we should have dominated. The 2nd period was abysmal

Start the period on the PP and look atrocious. Have a man advantage for 4 of the first 6 minutes of the period and get 1 fricken shot on net?

Scoring 3 goals in 3:25 late in the game against a beaten team (season wise not just in game) is nice, but where is that effort when it's needed against half way decent teams?

End of the day, we still gave up 35 shots to a very bad team and had that team been a little better, they put us away in the 2nd.

Yes, it was nice to get the early power play goals, but we were also outplayed at even strength in the first period, and for good parts of the third...and as you said, the second period was abysmal.

Waaaaaaaaay too much time chasing the puck in our own zone.

Possibly the least satisfying 6-1 victory of all time!

Gonna have to step it up tonight, or we'll find ourselves on the outside looking in with four games left, needing help for someone to beat Winnipeg.

Apr 10, 2012
still thought they played like crap. not a 60 minute effort. beat a team that benefits from losing. not impressed.

brassard played well. zucc played well. gave richards 3rd star because i feel bad for him. lundqvist did well. moore's fight made me a happy camper

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012

I second this and would like to add, that we gave up what, 3 (?) odd man rushes in the first 30 minutes. Defense has to be better. If Lundqvist hadn't been in god mode, this could have turned against us. It's quite funny how this guy has to stand on his head, even if we win by a landslide.

Very happy about the 2 points, though. Now, squeak one out of Buffalo.

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania

I feel the same way. I thought we looked horrible. Florida was basically begging us to put them away the first period and we allowed them to pin us in our own zone for long stretches. Tonight will be interesting. I am not as confident as I should be coming off a game where the team scored 6 goals. Thought the score was very deceiving.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
That was hard to watch. What a horrible performance by the Panthers.

Leetch2McDonagh27

Jan 21, 2013

TORTS.......that's what it comes down to. Collapsing towards the middle so we never get to loose puck along the boards. Get pinned in....opposing Point Men have ALLDAY to shoot or pass. We also have no clue offensviely.....and again, that's down to Torts. But I'm not even going to get into it.....this team has the talent and skill to be proficient offensively. Our Coach hinders us in every possible way.

I went to the game last night......let's just count our blessings that we didn't choke one to the Cats and got the 2 points, unlike in Philly the other night:sarcasm:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Reading the 1st three pages of the PGT I swear a bunch of you make hysterical women on their periods seem like unemotional, logical and fair humans. Painful and annoying to read how illogical and catty some of you are to each other.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yep. Though in the 2nd period they showed some life.

Even against that ***** team Hank has to bail these guys out.

The Rangers are mediocre, showed up for maybe 10 minutes of this game and beat the Panthers 6-1. If that's not a testament to the suckitude of Panthers I don't know what is.

Bardof425*

I feel the same way. I thought we looked horrible. Florida was basically begging us to put them away the first period and we allowed them to pin us in our own zone for long stretches. Tonight will be interesting. I am not as confident as I should be coming off a game where the team scored 6 goals. Thought the score was very deceiving.

The whole league has gone to school on our "breakout system" which includes reversing the puck at any sign of resistence and using the boards only as an escape route. There's not a team in the league who can't trap us in our zone if their defense is mobile enough. They do not need to defend the middle of the ice for the breakout; pretty simple really.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The whole league has gone to school on our "breakout system" which includes reversing the puck at any sign of resistence and using the boards only as an escape route. There's not a team in the league who can't trap us in our zone if their defense is mobile enough. They do not need to defend the middle of the ice for the breakout; pretty simple really.

the problem lies in that this team can't seem to put 2-3 passes together.

The lack of skill in accepting a simple fricken pass is alarming.

Further, they ice the puck like they lead the league in FO % by 20%.

The last thing this team needs to do is ice the puck as part of their strategy, but the moment there's some trouble in the neutral zone, they ice it.

this teams talent level and hockey sense are so overrated.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Panthers young guys looked good - Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Howden, Gudbranson, Petrovic. Amazing that they got 4 of those guys in the top 36 picks of the 2010 draft. Odds say that's impossible ;)

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
What Rangers fans nowadays (including myself) don't get to see and understand is that teams can win games while playing poorly. There are games where we play an excellent game but lose anyway and rarely do we play bad and win without too much difficulty. In a defensive system, playing bad means you're either A) generating 0 offense or B) being exposed defensively which usually means goals against for fans to remark the game as being defensively horrible. There's the 1-0 Isles game but that was hardly an easy game and it was won by Henrik.

Other teams can play bad, but a few timely goals can make it 2-0, 3-1 and the game dies down after that from both sides. We don't score and always find ourselves in 1 goal situations so playing bad is never an option until the game ends or the other team gets deflated from being down goals.

In other words, we need timely goals that we never seem to notch which is why it's crucial to give the offensive players more ice time as opposed to playing Boyle and the non offensive players that much ice time. Another reason why we need the 3rd line to score goals. There's no better timely goals than any goal from the bottom 6.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Panthers young guys looked good - Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Howden, Gudbranson, Petrovic. Amazing that they got 4 of those guys in the top 36 picks of the 2010 draft. Odds say that's impossible ;)

Trade all draft picks! The odds are so low for NHLers! Acquire hasbeens instead. :hockey:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

my thoughts exactly.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010

Didn't even notice Bjugstad to be honest.

I thought Huberdeau looked like a superstar at times, Petrovic was solid for his first game, and Howden was big and lanky, kind of reminded me of Anisimov a bit, but strong on his skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad