Prospect Info: #40 Dylan James, 2022 Draft

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Anything that involves payment will need to be included in the CBA so it applies to all players. That is the entire point of a collective bargaining agreement. It could just be an addendum or MOU, but it would need to be formalized.
It was never the NHL CBA side that had issues with kids being invited to camps and having teams cover the expenses. It was only ever the NCAA. I'm sure Biakabutuka didn't pay his own way to come to training camp.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It was never the NHL CBA side that had issues with kids being invited to camps and having teams cover the expenses. It was only ever the NCAA. I'm sure Biakabutuka didn't pay his own way to come to training camp.
Huh? Biakabutuka's kid never played college.

Yes, it's the NCAA that has the issue, but if they allow NIL payments from NHL team to prospects, it'll still need to be included in the CBA because it's payment to players. The entire point of the CBA is so that every player gets the same benefits.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Huh? Biakabutuka's kid never played college.

Yes, it's the NCAA that has the issue, but if they allow NIL payments from NHL team to prospects, it'll still need to be included in the CBA because it's payment to players. The entire point of the CBA is so that every player gets the same benefits.

NCAA kids having camp costs covered would be giving them the same benefits that non-NCAA kids already get.

Reactions: Henkka

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I agree that the NHL doesn't have an issue. With respect to actual NHL training camps, I would not be shocked if the NCAA has a rule that prevents you from playing for a team other than your school, in your sport, during the academic year. From an insurance coverage perspective, such a rule would be rather predictable.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He plays his role pretty well in the NCAA. Decent speed, good energy depth forward, chips in offense in stretches. Problem is he hasn't progressed enough at North Dakota to where you'd be overly optimistic about his future to be quite frank. Like I said in the other Dylan James thread, he pops off for a couple games and shows why he was a 2nd rounder, but then disappears for a couple and shows why most ranked him in the 3rd or 4th round.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He plays his role pretty well in the NCAA. Decent speed, good energy depth forward, chips in offense in stretches. Problem is he hasn't progressed enough at North Dakota to where you'd be overly optimistic about his future to be quite frank. Like I said in the other Dylan James thread, he pops off for a couple games and shows why he was a 2nd rounder, but then disappears for a couple and shows why most ranked him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Is there any talk of him transferring colleges? I feel a program like MSU would benefit him with more ice/expanded role.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Is there any talk of him transferring colleges? I feel a program like MSU would benefit him with more ice/expanded role.
There's been no talk of that. He (like many Western Canadians) loves North Dakota and I believe Brad Berry likes having him on his team.

At this point, I'm not sure if there's no additional offensive potential from James because he doesn't have the skill for more or if he just is placed in a middle 6 role where scoring isn't a priority.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
There's been no talk of that. He (like many Western Canadians) loves North Dakota and I believe Brad Berry likes having him on his team.

At this point, I'm not sure if there's no additional offensive potential from James because he doesn't have the skill for more or if he just is placed in a middle 6 role where scoring isn't a priority.

I know it's a good school, but I just think it's a shame that he's not in a top 6 or top line role where James is at now. Right now Redmond Savage looks like a much better player after being in a 2nd line role at MSU when compared to his time at Miami of Ohio. And it's likely he gets even more icetime next season.

I know it's a good school, but I just think it's a shame that he's not in a top 6 or top line role where James is at now. Right now Redmond Savage looks like a much better player after being in a 2nd line role at MSU when compared to his time at Miami of Ohio. And it's likely he gets even more icetime next season.
His skill set is pretty similar to Draper's right? Basically doubled his production at MSU. You think he has more offensive upside at the nhl level than our esteemed assistant gm?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
His skill set is pretty similar to Draper's right? Basically doubled his production at MSU. You think he has more offensive upside at the nhl level than our esteemed assistant gm?
James plays like dollar store Draper or even Helm, Savage is probably on par with normal Draper. Both probably have a 4th line ceiling in the NHL unless they hit the A and produce a ton with the Griffins.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I agree that the NHL doesn't have an issue. With respect to actual NHL training camps, I would not be shocked if the NCAA has a rule that prevents you from playing for a team other than your school, in your sport, during the academic year. From an insurance coverage perspective, such a rule would be rather predictable.
It has always been a straight up money thing for the NCAA. Get paid you're a professional, even if it's just CHL stipend and boarding. If you pay your own way to camp that was always fine, but the NCAA always looked deep. Now, maybe not so much as the rules have changed for college athletes and money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad