Prospect Info: #40 Dylan James, 2022 Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Are guys drafted in the later rounds all doctors or something?

giphy.gif

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Hopefully he becomes a solid player, I’m rooting for him and want him to become a useful player but I really don’t like this pick. Not because I think James is a bad player, I just think he’s a guy you take in the 3rd round. We left so much talent on the board to take him and it really really left me sour. That was the shit Holland’s scouting teams would do and that really irks me.

Reactions: Gniwder and AD1066

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hopefully he becomes a solid player, I’m rooting for him and want him to become a useful player but I really don’t like this pick. Not because I think James is a bad player, I just think he’s a guy you take in the 3rd round. We left so much talent on the board to take him and it really really left me sour. That was the shit Holland’s scouting teams would do and that really irks me.
I think this is the one time MBH is right, I don’t think this is a good pick at all.
Maybe. But he had better numbers in the USHL than Lund and Greene, who also went in the 2nd round.

And he also had really good numbers in Junior A in his -2 season.

So it's not like he has never produced offense, or anything. And he is supposed to be a really competitive well-rounded player, like Kasper.

Haven't seen 1 minute of this kid play before, and I can understand liking other players better, but I am curious to see what he does in NCAA.

Reactions: NickH8

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I’ll try to stay open-minded with this pick, but it seems high. Not a fan at the moment but I’m also never a fan of guys I’m unfamiliar with who are described like James is. Usually with these guys you have to see them play a lot to see where the upside comes in, and I haven’t personally done that, so I can’t really judge.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Clearly the Wings thought it was important to get harder to play against. If Yzerman thinks that's the right move, okay.
Stevie's probably sick of watching Zadina play, lol.

Between Stevie and Draper, they're building Nashville 2.0. Bunch of stud defensemen with a highly rated goalie and low scoring forwards.

It's a not a big surprise with Draper, that's the way he played. I'd have thought Stevie would be more after skill.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Stevie's probably sick of watching Zadina play, lol.

Between Stevie and Draper, they're building Nashville 2.0. Bunch of stud defensemen with a highly rated goalie and low scoring forwards.

It's a not a big surprise with Draper, that's the way he played. I'd have thought Stevie would be more after skill.
Raymond at 4 was a pure skill pick. You need a blend of different guys, and I did feel our currents top 6 is a bit soft. Our top 2 picks this year are guys who bring elements lacking in our top 6/9. We’ll have to see how they develop moving forward.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I’ll try to stay open-minded with this pick, but it seems high. Not a fan at the moment but I’m also never a fan of guys I’m unfamiliar with who are described like James is. Usually with these guys you have to see them play a lot to see where the upside comes in, and I haven’t personally done that, so I can’t really judge.
This is one of the more reasonable takes I’ve ever seen in here and people should just use it to copy and paste because I feel like it applies a lot when people are outspoken against a pick

Reactions: RabidBadger

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Raymond at 4 was a pure skill pick. You need a blend of different guys, and I did feel our currents top 6 is a bit soft. Our top 2 picks this year are guys who bring elements lacking in our top 6/9. We’ll have to see how they develop moving forward.
I just don't like this pick, not because I don't like the player but because there were so many centers available.

Under Stevie/Draper, the first pick in the second round is always a FOMO pick. The kid they want the most regardless of ranking, not necessarily the BPA. Meanwhile they missed out on Raty last draft and and this draft Goyette, Del Bel, and a few others I'm not as familiar with.

This is exactly why I didn't bother doing a mock draft, figured it would be a FOMO pick.

Reactions: Frk It and AD1066

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just don't like this pick, not because I don't like the player but because there were so many centers available.

Under Stevie/Draper, the first pick in the second round is always a FOMO pick. The kid they want the most regardless of ranking, not necessarily the BPA. Meanwhile they missed out on Raty last draft and and this draft Goyette, Del Bel, and a few others I'm not as familiar with.

This is exactly why I didn't bother doing a mock draft, figured it would be a FOMO pick.
Yeah, I would have opted for Sapovaliv here personally. Would have considered Del Bel Belluz and Goyette as well (even though these guys maybe end up wingers long term).

So yeah, I get your reasoning there for sure. Don’t think this pick is above criticism.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I would have opted for Sapovaliv here personally. Would have considered Del Bel Belluz and Goyette as well (even though these guys maybe end up wingers long term).

So yeah, I get your reasoning there for sure. Don’t think this pick is above criticism.
Underwhelming draft overall, the Kraken did much better. Still laughing at Arizona.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

I’m pretty sure that’s just how scouting and drafting works

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Sounds similar to Mazur. Hard working 3rd line type that can chip in with offense occasionally.
That was my initial thought as well, "linemate for Mazur". Those kids that play at North Dakota are hard-asses. Brad Berry tends to get the best out of his players so we'll see how he evolves.

Reactions: HolyJumpin40

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
You'd think that people would be like, okay, I was completely wrong about Carter Mazur last year. Maybe the next time the Wings use an earlier pick on a gritty LW from the USHL, I'll wait to see how it pans out.
Just because Mazur has been good so far doesn't mean James will be because he's the same type of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad