Prospect Info: #40 Dylan James, 2022 Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Seems like a quality guy who at a bare minimum can play on your 4th line and forecheck, maybe play a net front game given the turnovers/lack of passing.

DonkeyOT

Jul 18, 2021
Watching SC playoffs the compete level was levels above Red Wing games. It looks like this might be the focus this draft, and probably come free-agency. Need relentless, high energy types who will block pucks with their face.

SeiderHouseRulez

May 16, 2022
At some point we're going to have to hit on some high ceiling skill guys outside the first round. I don't get using a high 2nd in a guy that projects as a bottom 6 forward. You can fill the roster with those guys different ways.

Oct 18, 2006
Seems like a REAL hard worker, high energy.

But seems like minimal upside, and a reach.

Time will tell.

Reactions: lilidk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
At some point we're going to have to hit on some high ceiling skill guys outside the first round. I don't get using a high 2nd in a guy that projects as a bottom 6 forward. You can fill the roster with those guys different ways.

You could have wrote this exact post about the Bertuzzi pick.

Just because he isnt a flashy player doesnt mean he cant be a really effective hockey player. Seider wasnt a "high ceiling skill guy" either. Draft effective hockey players, not players that look good on a youtube highlight reel

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Have any of Draper’s 2nd round+ picks from previous drafts done much so far?

Tyler Bertuzzi just had a 30 goal season.

Buium just won the NCAA championship.

Cross Hanas just signed his entry level contract after leading his team in scoring.

Mastrosimone transferred colleges to get more playing time since BU loves giving ice to USNTDP guys over everyone else.

Givani Smith is on the roster as a 4th liner/13th forward.

Jared McIsaac finally got healthy and just finished his first AHL season. (Do we consider him a Draper pick?)

SeiderHouseRulez

May 16, 2022
Tyler Bertuzzi just had a 30 goal season.

Buium just won the NCAA championship.

Cross Hanas just signed his entry level contract after leading his team in scoring.

Mastrosimone transferred colleges to get more playing time since BU loves giving ice to USNTDP guys over everyone else.

Givani Smith is on the roster as a 4th liner/13th forward.

Jared McIsaac finally got healthy and just finished his first AHL season. (Do we consider him a Draper pick?)
Outside of Bert that's a whole lot of nothing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have any of Draper’s 2nd round+ picks from previous drafts done much so far?
Care to tell me which picks our Director of Amateur Scouting is responsible for and which ones he's not?

You hear him talk about how much he watched Kasper play? That must be mind-blowing to people on here. He is obviously not allowed to leave North America or watch players play overseas.

SeiderHouseRulez

May 16, 2022
You could have wrote this exact post about the Bertuzzi pick.

Just because he isnt a flashy player doesnt mean he cant be a really effective hockey player. Seider wasnt a "high ceiling skill guy" either. Draft effective hockey players, not players that look good on a youtube highlight reel
Exception doesn't prove the rule. Bert has been fantastic but he's clearly been the exception to picks outside the first round. Could this guy exceed expectations? Sure but you could say that about anyone. As it stands right now there's not much to be excited about here with our second highest pick.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Exception doesn't prove the rule. Bert has been fantastic but he's clearly been the exception to picks outside the first round. Could this guy exceed expectations? Sure but you could say that about anyone. As it stands right now there's not much to be excited about here with our second highest pick.

Okay, so if you could say this about anyone, why is it not appropriate here but would be appropriate about your preferred pick?

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Care to tell me which picks our Director of Amateur Scouting is responsible for and which ones he's not?

You hear him talk about how much he watched Kasper play? That must be mind-blowing to people on here. He is obviously not allowed to leave North America or watch players play overseas.
The way I understand it from previous interviews is that Draper pretty much leads all drafting decision from 2nd round on.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Outside of Bert that's a whole lot of nothing.

I agree that isn't a very impressive group of 2nd rounders. But look at it like this:

From the 2019 draft there are exactly 2 players drafted in the 2nd round or later that have played 80 or more games. (Hoglander and Kaliyev)
From the 2020 draft none have.
From the 2021 draft none have. Janis Moser is the only player outside of round 1 to play any games (43)

2nd round picks and beyond are all longshots and take a lot of time to get to the show. We probably don't see any of these guys for another season or two (save for Soderblom and Johansson)

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I agree that isn't a very impressive group of 2nd rounders. But look at it like this:

From the 2019 draft there are exactly 2 players drafted in the 2nd round or later that have played 80 or more games. (Hoglander and Kaliyev)
From the 2020 draft none have.
From the 2021 draft none have. Janis Moser is the only player outside of round 1 to play any games (43)

2nd round picks and beyond are all longshots and take a lot of time to get to the show. We probably don't see any of these guys for another season or two (save for Soderblom and Johansson)
19 is pretty fresh. Happen to know 17 and 18?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Pretty sure this has been said at some point about every round in the draft.

And, I can't believe I have to say this every draft: No, GM's do not go out of their way to draft players that they think are bad on purpose. They have a different opinion of the player than you (y'all) and a player can be good without doing cool in-between the leg moves and backhand toe drags.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
19 is pretty fresh. Happen to know 17 and 18?

I'd say about 9 guys that were primarily on NHL rosters for more than a cup of coffee from rounds 2 to 7 in 2018.
2018 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

About 16 played the majority of a full season or more from the 2017 draft.
2017 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

So those odds of our late round picks making it by year 4 or 5 are very low. At least with our european picks like Wallinder, Johansson and Soderblom we have a good chance of those 3 making it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Ok, and who are the high upside/ceiling guys who have been missed on because 3rd liners have been drafted?

High upside/ceiling is such a load of crap. Its just people saying he has flashy highlights. Theres lots of ways to play effective hockey. Just because Jurco has a flashier highlight reel doesnt make him a better player than Iginla

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Everyone outside of the top 15 projects as a bottom 6 NHL forward. This is how pyramids work. When the f*** are people going to realize this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad