Post-Game Talk: #4: FLYERS at Flames, Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019, 9:00 pm ET

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Provorov makes one mistake tonight the pitchforks come out... Quality of competition be damned. Mistakes are commited in a vacuum so all mistakes must be called out equally.

seriously. Especially mistakes made by provorov. People are on him more than anyone it seems and the guy only plays the most minutes, against the best players...

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
It's not the players it's the coach is what I am told every time I say the slow start is the players fault.

Ghost was in AV's dog house last night after the turn over during the power play after trying to beat 3 people. But again a coach can't hold him accountable for that mistake I am hearing. I can't speak for why they didn't use Sanheim but they didn't there. I will say Provorov when outside the D zone seems to have some of his swagger back.
I think AV is a good coach he's not Scotty Bowman but he's good.

Ive always said this core's main issue was consistency/focus.
over the course of seasons. over the course of periods. over the course of games.

They just need to not be buried early then theyll be in great position in the 2nd half.
The fact that the Provorov overrating, the Myers/Ghost underrating is continuing across regimes is definitely concerning.

Backwardness is systemic it seems.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Watching the replay, the Provorov usage is concerning.
Im as big a fan of him as you'll find but there shouldnt be any reason he gets 4 on 3 PP time.
Whats the point of carrying Ghost/Sanheim then?

if ghost and sanheim can make a play then by all means put them on. Both of them were shaky in this game with some bad plays made. Also, I think ghost just had a shift or something..i dont remember.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nah Ghost has his pitchfork team also. It's funny that not many leave one or the other out of their sights but hardly any have both targeted.

I have neither targetted. :dunno:

I will call out mistakes from any players, but the only ones in my targets per say, are the ones with no redeeming qualities. Right now that list is 2 players long and I think you know who they are.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I have neither targetted. :dunno:

I will call out mistakes from any players, but the only ones in my targets per say, are the ones with no redeeming qualities. Right now that list is 2 players long and I think you know who they are.

I did say hardly any. Probably have to use less than both hands to count those that can say they are on the equal footing with Provy and Ghost.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As has been pointed out by @deadhead, it's also a defining trait of AV's teams.

At least his first season with both the Canucks and Rangers.
Other years it's a mixed bag, but his teams that start slow tend to finish strong.

I think because AV may see the first 20 games as an extended training camp, finding the right chemistry and the players he can trust, and then his teams tend to jell and often run the table.

I expect that this year, first he has to figure out what he has in his veterans, then see which kids are ready to be promoted and fill holes.
So I won't surprise me if the Flyers are one of the top two or three NHL teams from January forward.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Goddamn are we already talking about detonating the core and coaches?

I mean **** I've got issues with both but get a grip people. Take deep breaths. Go beat up your fears. Let's try to remember that this schedule is a worst case scenario for starting with new coaches and a lot of new players.

and we still have to factor in the new system getting worked in. No one is ever going to be completely happy with the coaches. But it
is way to early to have these meltdowns where there are serious hyperbole overreacting

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
That first period was really bad. They couldn't string two passes together. We couldnt generate much all game but were in it until the end. As BI stated this is a worst case schedule for a new regime with a bunch of new players and a clunker like that isn't totally surprising. A good win tonight and I will be thrilled with the first five games at 3-1-1. Even a well played loss isnt the end but another clunker and I will start to get fidgety.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
if he makes the HFboard approved changes and it still doesn’t work are the coaches still idiots?
They not called idiots because they don't do exactly as we want. They're idiots for doing specific indefensible things.

There's a lot of grey space between doing exactly what we want and doing what they're currently doing, where we would disagree with somethings but they wouldn't be called names. There's a whole lot of possible actions where the response would be "well I wouldn't have done that, but oh well".

Instead they've done things that only idiots would do... like putting Giroux on the right side of the PP, playing Hagg, playing Hayesas 1C, playing Ghost the least 5v5 icetime among defensemen, and so on.

Reactions: Starat327

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Just so we're clear here, your honest opinion, several years later, is that the Flyers got 'fleeced' in a trade where we sent Jeff Carter to Columbus and Got Sean Couturier and Jake Voracek?

I want to make sure im reading this right.
This is even without considering the fact that Columbus only got a half year of sulking out of Carter before trading him again, lol.

Reactions: Starat327

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
For... Jack Johnson, nonetheless. Someone got fleeced in that trade, but it certainly wasn't holmgren.
Didn't that trade bring them Jack Johnson from LA? Which only makes it more bizarre
Yep. For JJ and a first (Marko Dano), the latter of whom ultimately led to a couple years of Panarin through a couple more trades... but there's still no real good way to spin the original deal for Columbus, especially after Panarin walked for nothing.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Yep. For JJ and a first (Marko Dano), the latter of whom ultimately led to a couple years of Panarin through a couple more trades... but there's still no real good way to spin the original deal for Columbus, especially after Panarin walked for nothing.
Of course the OP probably was spinning it that LA ( Lombardi and Hextall) fleeced the Flyers. Columbus didn't matter.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad