Post-Game Talk: 4/1: AV returns to Vancouver (McDonagh injury "not serious")

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can we now talk about something other than the injury and toughness? What was wrong with the team in this game? Why couldn't they get out of their zone? It didn't look like the D was awful except that one play where the Canuck just went around Stralman and got his own rebound. For the most part the chances weren't amazing. But we gave up consistent pressure and looked more like a Torts team than the Canucks. Any ideas on what's going on?

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Can we now talk about something other than the injury and toughness? What was wrong with the team in this game? Why couldn't they get out of their zone? It didn't look like the D was awful except that one play where the Canuck just went around Stralman and got his own rebound. For the most part the chances weren't amazing. But we gave up consistent pressure and looked more like a Torts team than the Canucks. Any ideas on what's going on?

I thought the first passes weren't very good from the forecheck pressure. The only play I remember sticking out from last night that was really nice was when Stralman straight up skated the puck out of the zone with pressure on him. There were definitely a few others but off the top of my head thats it. We need to get back to the quick tape-to-tape passes.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York

Yeah. They had a lackluster game. It happens to all teams every once in a while during an 82-game season. Throw in the fact they're in the middle of a west coast trip playing a desperate team that's playing their old coach on home ice after getting embarrassed by his team early in the season. I honestly expected them to lose the game all things considered.

Not sure why there's any reason to dwell on it. The only worry anyone should have concerning this game is the health of McDonagh.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Yeah. They had a lackluster game. It happens to all teams every once in a while during an 82-game season. Throw in the fact they're in the middle of a west coast trip playing a desperate team that's playing their old coach on home ice after getting embarrassed by his team early in the season. I honestly expected them to lose the game all things considered.

Not sure why there's any reason to dwell on it. The only worry anyone should have concerning this game is the health of McDonagh.

He just wants to know what was happening that caused pressure in the defensive zone because we weren't having the defensive breakdowns we usually do that lead to chances/goals for the opposition.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

That's fair the Canucks looked like they really wanted to win this one for Torts plus their slim playoff chances.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
I'd be fine with giving McDonagh off the rest of the regular season, even if he's available to play. Maybe give him the last game of the season just to work any rust off.

Who knows, could be a blessing in disguise. He'll be playing 30 minutes a night come playoff time.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Carcillo and Dorsett?

Burrows isn't a tough guy, he's a 4th line agitator exactly like Carcillo or Dorsett and either one of them would be able to challenge Burrows just fine.

And it's easy to see that "intimidation" just does not work in the NHL when it comes to preventing injuries. I don't know why people desperately cling to this idea when you see "tough" teams like the Bruins get cheap shotted just as much as anyone else.

"sending messages" is ********, agitators live to hit guys and get in fights and cause trouble and retribution is just part of the game for them, they're not going to stop playing their game because of it. There is no such thing as protection in the NHL today, people should stop pretending there is

It's all in the response Lev and the ability to respond.

Where have the Bruins been these last couple of years? How have they fared?

I think if I were Burrows I'd much rather have Dorsett or Carcillo coming at me then Lucic or God Forbid Chara.

No one is saying that the cheap shots are gonna stop. In fact you are right they may actually increase to some degree. But if the Rangers had more of these kinds of players they would be better balanced.

Let's just stop there for a second and get something clear.

Does anyone really think that having players like Chara or Lucic make us a worse or less capable team?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Does anyone really think that having players like Chara or Lucic make us a worse or less capable team?

No but solely because they are good hockey players and literally nothing to do with how they might punch people

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
No but solely because they are good hockey players and literally nothing to do with how they might punch people

OK. So you see no merit or value that they add on any level other than skill. Their physicality or intimidation factor means nothing. Am I right on that?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know that any NHL player is physically intimidated by any other player.

There are certain guys in the League that cause opponents to think twice about parking in the crease, or skating with their head down, but I don't think intimidation is the right word to describe that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
OK. So you see no merit or value that they add on any level other than skill. Their physicality or intimidation factor means nothing. Am I right on that?

I believe there's an added value in players who play physically and are talented yes, but I don't believe their willingness to get into a scrum after a hit has any effect on how other teams play against them or protects their teammates in any way. No one is intimidated to the point of not hitting Bruins players because of Lucic and Chara

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Considering how many injuries the Bruins suffer while having those players, yes. No one is a deterrent to cheap shots/injury-causing hits.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know that any NHL player is physically intimidated by any other player.

There are certain guys in the League that cause opponents to think twice about parking in the crease, or skating with their head down, but I don't think intimidation is the right word to describe that.

I think Brooks Orpik is going to be a little leery whenever Shawn Thornton is in the approximate vicinity for a while.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
This team's fans are obsessed with the Bruins. It's getting quite absurd.

It's a syndrome in hockey. Teams and fan bases sets a model with the team that defeated them in the playoffs. Also, they're built pretty excellently.

What the Canucks did to try and emulate the Bruins after their game 7 loss to emulate the Bruins is a tragedy.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
It's a syndrome in hockey. Teams and fan bases sets a model with the team that defeated them in the playoffs. Also, they're built pretty excellently.

What the Canucks did to try and emulate the Bruins after their game 7 loss to emulate the Bruins is a tragedy.

Yeah, I agree. Different teams win the Cup all the time though, and they're built differently. I don't see why we need to be like the Bruins to beat the Bruins.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I believe there's an added value in players who play physically and are talented yes, but I don't believe their willingness to get into a scrum after a hit has any effect on how other teams play against them or protects their teammates in any way. No one is intimidated to the point of not hitting Bruins players because of Lucic and Chara

What you are doing is refuting something that goes to the very essence of North American Hockey. The NHL is essentially legalized violence hiding in plain site inside a professional athletic league.

I don't want to go back to where the game was for much of the 70's and 80's. But I recognize that Fighting has not been banned for precisely the reason that is intrinsically a part of the North American game.

But that is not my main reason for wanting more players like Chara and Lucic. It's because I maintain that they are in fact physically intimidating. The lounger a tough playoff series goes the less you want to have them running into you. It's basic common sense. Heck if NHL players and coaches can all but admit that physical intimidation is effective and useful, then we fans should admit this fact to ourselves.

The Rangers need a better balance with these types of players as part of the mix....and yes sometimes they will fight to stick up for their mates. And yes I've heard it repeated countless times that their teammates and coaches appreciate and respect the hell out of that.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
This team's fans are obsessed with the Bruins. It's getting quite absurd.

Wrong. It's merely a respect for the Bruins.

I'd like to live to see the day when the Rangers are the most fearsome team in the NHL. A team as intimidating and successful as those Islander, Canadian and Oiler teams from years ago.

I simply see that kind of Rangers team as one that makes NHL hockey much stronger and gives New Yorkers what they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad