Post-Game Talk: 4/1: AV returns to Vancouver (McDonagh injury "not serious")

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's not really "quite serious" because it's Brooks adding his own twist to the information.

McDonagh is "out indefinitely" because the Rangers dont' want to put a number on how many games he could miss, if any. The bit about the playoffs is just Brooks piling onto that and saying "and we don't know if he might misst he playoffs!!!!!!" which doesn't point to any kind of information of that nature, just stating the blatantly obvious that if the statement is "out indefinitely" then you dont' know how long that might be. Could be 1 game, could be zero games, could be the rest of the games, who knwos?

Yeah seems like he's sensationalizing. He's taking something blowing it up. It's like saying I paid more than 10,000 dollars for that care. I could have paid 1 million!

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand the dichotomy of opinions here. You don't want to dress 2 full lines of goons, and it's also not a good idea to dress a full roster full of squirts. A functional workforce has blue and white collar laborers, not 100% of either. It's not an absolute either way.

Exactly and I'm glad you didn't mention the T word. ;)

I like this team and enjoy the way they play hockey but they are not the complete team that you can look at and say, these guys are SC favorites.

GoAwayPanarin

May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I didn't choose to leave that part out and I don't see how anyone is laughing over this. I was merely asking a question with the assumption people are following the situation a little closer then I.

This is the part I was referring to. Which, like it or not, is quite serious.

Saying hes out for an indefinite period of time just means that hes out until further notice, Rangers PR has always operated like this (for instance: do you really think management doesn't have a time table on Kreider?)

The no structural damage bit is the part of the article that should be getting your attention. I mean they may have not come out an said "He'll be back for the playoffs" but it really isn't that hard to put two and two together here.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Exactly and I'm glad you didn't mention the T word. ;)

I like this team and enjoy the way they play hockey but they are not the complete team that you can look at and say, these guys are SC favorites.

Except people think of SC winners as some mystical team that has no weaknesses. I think that's baloney.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
At the end of the first period, right at the buzzer Kassian looked to be hurt as he fell into the Boards..

Did anyone see what happened? Was he pushed? or did he trip?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
At the end of the first period, right at the buzzer Kassian looked to be hurt as he fell into the Boards..

Did anyone see what happened? Was he pushed? or did he trip?

Stralman got his stick into Kassian's skates. Looked accidental

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Except people think of SC winners as some mystical team that has no weaknesses. I think that's baloney.

You're right. The Bruins or Blues could be knocked out of the first round. That's hockey.

But don't you want to go into the SC playoffs with a roster that can meet any challenge that is thrown at you...skill, speed, physicality, depth??

It's a 4 round marathon. I would want a complete team than a team with two of those characteristics.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the Rangers put out a more skilled and not a very tough team like they've done pretty much this entire this season--that's fine as long as they compete and win enough but then expect that every once in a while an incident like last night's is going to happen without retribution. If that is the kind of team you're happy with then don't piss and moan later on that this guy did this and this guy did that and nobody did nothing about it. Saying Girardi's at fault like he's his defense partners guardian angel and because Burrows didn't get socked in the jaw--expecting Girardi to go outside his comfort zone is a little bit whacky to me. Most players don't like to fight--at all--speaking of which when have we seen McDonagh ever do it?

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the Rangers put out a more skilled and not a very tough team like they've done pretty much this entire this season--that's fine as long as they compete and win enough but then expect that every once in a while an incident like last night's is going to happen without retribution. If that is the kind of team you're happy with then don't piss and moan later on that this guy did this and this guy did that and nobody did nothing about it. Saying Girardi's at fault like he's his defense partners guardian angel and because Burrows didn't get socked in the jaw--expecting Girardi to go outside his comfort zone is a little bit whacky to me. Most players don't like to fight--at all--speaking of which when have we seen McDonagh ever do it?

Henrique kicked McD's butt in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

I agree with you eco. This is the team we have but I see what I think is a weakness. Will that haunt them, who knows but it looks like it might.

BTW, I was all over Girardi after the Gaborik incident but I don't think he did anything wrong last night after it happened. He gave Burrowes a pretty good shot and Burrowes didn't do anything else.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You're right. The Bruins or Blues could be knocked out of the first round. That's hockey.

But don't you want to go into the SC playoffs with a roster that can meet any challenge that is thrown at you...skill, speed, physicality, depth??

It's a 4 round marathon. I would want a complete team than a team with two of those characteristics.

Ideally we go into the playoffs with a mixture of the 76 Canadians and 85 Oilers, being backstopped by Hasek from 98. But alas we don't live in a perfect world.

Wolfy*

Ouch...it looks nasty.

Btw, I didn't notice Girardi he actually fights, along with Zucc. Creds to G, I thought he was a softy.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't understand the dichotomy of opinions here. You don't want to dress 2 full lines of goons, and it's also not a good idea to dress a full roster full of squirts. A functional workforce has blue and white collar laborers, not 100% of either. It's not an absolute either way.

This is all I'm saying; you mention the T word around here and people start losing their minds.

No **** there's no such thing as perfection, does that mean the Oilers are as good as the Bruins? Some teams have WAY less flaws than others.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
The person I have the biggest problem with in regard to the McDonagh situation is AV. It's debatable what Girardi should have done there. Burrows rarely fights and G isn't somebody capable of making opposition pay with his fists anyway. A sucker punch was his only serious option there and maybe it was worth taking a very short suspension to send a message to other teams.

AV is another story. Why have McD constantly on the ice up 2 goals late in a game when you have Staal on the bench? That's the time when teams are most frustrated and tempers flare. There was an incident in the same situation with Simmonds just a couple of games ago. The drop-off defensively from McD to Staal is highly debatable.
Small, marginal, none at all. Offensively though, no D on the team is at the same level as McD. It's about minimizing risk, especially when you have the Staal option. The guy is not a $4 mill. a year bench warmer.

I'm also surprised Klein and Stralman aren't used more often up 2 goals late. An injury to Dan G. would be devastating to the team's hopes as well. Defensive zone play is why Klein is an NHL player. If he can't be trusted with a 2 goal lead, the MDZ trade was utterly pointless.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Looked to me like both G and Zucc were trying to deal some justice, why are people critisising G ?

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Looked to me like both G and Zucc were trying to deal some justice, why are people critisising G ?

Probably because he has a history of being a wuss when that sort of things happens. I'm glad he didn't do much. Bad enough McD will be out we sure as heck don't need Girardi doing something stupid and missing time too.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Someone quoted me before and was talking about how would I know how long McD would be out if there is no structural damage and then assumed it was just a bone bruise.

I don't know if that person has ever had a bone bruise, or to what degree McD's is if he does in fact have one, but when I had one in my foot it affected me for close to a month. However, the report from Zipay is that McD being out "indefinitely" is "inaccurate." So what does that mean? I figure they are going to give him some sort of rest. Looking at the rest of the schedule I would say maybe he comes back against the Hurricanes. It would be one week since the injury.

shon

Mar 21, 2007
Probably because he has a history of being a wuss when that sort of things happens. I'm glad he didn't do much. Bad enough McD will be out we sure as heck don't need Girardi doing something stupid and missing time too.

There is an automatic game suspension for instigating a fight in the last 5 minutes of the game .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad