Value of: 3rd Line Center to Edmonton

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Ideally, RNH is your 3C. Add Wingers around McDavid, Drai, and RNH down the middle. Strength down the middle wins championships.

Reactions: bucks_oil

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ideally, RNH is your 3C. Add Wingers around McDavid, Drai, and RNH down the middle. Strength down the middle wins championships.

Eventually, maybe, but we're about 5 wingers away from being able to reasonably be able to put together a build like that.

Drai-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Neal
???-???-Chiasson
???-???-Archibald

Four of Gagner, Brodziak, Cave, Khaira, Granlund, Jurco, Marody, and Gambardella will slot into the ??? spots. Even Benson at 2LW isn't a given because of how many waiver eligible guys are slotted in.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018

This is suggesting that having RNH play less minutes will improve the team. Not sure if you have seen EDM's roster at any point but who are those wingers that will have a positive impact playing top 6 minutes?

Draisaitl/RNH can't drag corpses around out there. If anything, this year should have proved that.

Better have a good 2nd line then 2 shit middle6 lines

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
3C need:
Someone who can be relied upon to start in the defensive zone every once in a blue moon.

Bonus:
Can score 10 goals.
Can play a role (PK or PP2).
Doesn't make his line-mates immediately worse.
Win 50% around faceoffs

Not looking for superstars. A Colton Sissons type player on a similar AAV sounds excellent

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
3C need:
Someone who can be relied upon to start in the defensive zone every once in a blue moon.

Bonus:
Can score 10 goals.
Win 50% around faceoffs

Not looking for superstars. A Colton Sissons type player on a similar AAV sounds excellent

Glendening. Flame suit already on.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You're funny, especially after posting that lineup with so many holes. Good luck on your search. I mean that.

What did I say that was untrue?

On top of a billion holes, we have about nine third line wingers and 2.4 mil in cap space. Where and how does Namestnikov fit? You and I both know he’s not a C.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
3C need:

Bonus:
Can score 10 goals.
Win 50% around faceoffs

Again, Oscar Lindberg. Has 50.1% on faceoffs since entering the leauge, can play 2nd pp and PK. Also good enough in own zone to start there. Plus he would probably be cheep.

Plus on a sidenote he and Adam Larsson are friends and he might help Adam rebound.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Eventually, maybe, but we're about 5 wingers away from being able to reasonably be able to put together a build like that.

Drai-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Neal
???-???-Chiasson
???-???-Archibald

Four of Gagner, Brodziak, Cave, Khaira, Granlund, Jurco, Marody, and Gambardella will slot into the ??? spots. Even Benson at 2LW isn't a given because of how many waiver eligible guys are slotted in.

You are completely discounting: Nygard, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Haas. Not saying you shouldn't, but if even one of those guys make it and can contribute in a top nine, it's an entirely different story

I actually see it as:

XXX McDavid Kassian
XXX Drai Neal
XXX RNH Chiasson
XXX Khaira Archibald

With TWELVE guys competing for those 4 spots (shuffle position as needed). Three (Gags, Granlund, Jurco) of those 12 have top-6 NHL experience, three have top 6 credentials from junior/AHL (Benson, Pulju, Yama), another 22-year old guy was in the running for AHL rookie of the year (Marody), and another guy is the best forward on his team in the SEL and maybe the fastest skater in that league.

I really do see 4 NHLers in this list: Benson, Nygard, Granlund, Gagner, Jurco, Marody, Pulju, Gambardella, Yamamoto, Cave, Brodziak, Haas... especially if they have centers like McD, Drai, and RNH to work with.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like Brad Richardson might be an option. I don't think the Coyotes are looking to move him, but he's a Tippett guy. And apparently Hayton is pretty close to making the jump. Any interest in Richardson?

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Sens have a logjam of centers in system, highly unlikely to keep Tierney and Pageau long term.

Great opportunity for Ottawa to take on Gagner, and get some assets.

But Melnyk... :(

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You are completely discounting: Nygard, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Haas. Not saying you shouldn't, but if even one of those guys make it and can contribute in a top nine, it's an entirely different story

I actually see it as:

XXX McDavid Kassian
XXX Drai Neal
XXX RNH Chiasson
XXX Khaira Archibald

With TWELVE guys competing for those 4 spots (shuffle position as needed). Three (Gags, Granlund, Jurco) of those 12 have top-6 NHL experience, three have top 6 credentials from junior/AHL (Benson, Pulju, Yama), another 22-year old guy was in the running for AHL rookie of the year (Marody), and another guy is the best forward on his team in the SEL and maybe the fastest skater in that league.

I really do see 4 NHLers in this list: Benson, Nygard, Granlund, Gagner, Jurco, Marody, Pulju, Gambardella, Yamamoto, Cave, Brodziak, Haas... especially if they have centers like McD, Drai, and RNH to work with.

I don't see RNH in the line up as the third line C. He is too good for that and at $6 Million he is paid too much for that role.

Tippett won't break up Draisaitl and McDavid (the best duo in the NHL) just to have RNH at 3C. RNH will either be our 2C or flip to a top 6 role on the wing.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't see RNH in the line up as the third line C. He is too good for that and at $6 Million he is paid too much for that role.

Tippett won't break up Draisaitl and McDavid (the best duo in the NHL) just to have RNH at 3C. RNH will either be our 2C or flip to a top 6 role on the wing.

I'm sure that's right... but very soon, our young emerging D core is going to be a force on the back end... at that time it will be a luxury (provided we find, develop or trade for some wingers) to throw THREE scoring lines anchored by THREE well above average defensively centermen... and let the rest of the world adjust to that model.

I'm admittedly thinking 2-3 years ahead, but that's what I would be building to if I were Holland.... and I think that's exactly what he's doing now (else we'd have a 3C already). Let's just see how things play out in camp... I'd be trying RNH at 3C if we think we've manufactured enough depth on wing. Call me optimistic.

Reactions: TFHockey

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Again, Oscar Lindberg. Has 50.1% on faceoffs since entering the leauge, can play 2nd pp and PK. Also good enough in own zone to start there. Plus he would probably be cheep.

Plus on a sidenote he and Adam Larsson are friends and he might help Adam rebound.

I do think he is an interesting player but would you honestly say he is a 3rd line Center? I think he’s better suited to be a 4th, he has been iced as a winger often enough that you gotta to ask yourself the question atleast. I’d like him as the 4C alot though

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
You're funny, especially after posting that lineup with so many holes. Good luck on your search. I mean that.

Yeah well we signed Archibald for 1M and he had a whooping 9pts less than your offensive juggernaut Namestnikov last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad