GDT: #30 – Panthers at Sabres – Sat Dec 13, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TV – WGR

ZeroPT*

The kids are going to be what they were always going to be whether we end up 30th or 22nd. There is no positives about these wins.
All we're doing is getting further away from 2 of the best prospects to come out in a long long time. It's not a good thing.

Clearly not. If the kids were playing as good as they are we wouldn't be 30th now would we?

ZeroPT*

If we go .500 the rest of the way, it's still a top 5 pick. And I seriously doubt we go .500
we could have all the progress we've had and then still be in position to draft Strome or Marner.

ZeroPT*

Going to use the example again, as I feel it's the best comparison. The 08-09 LA kings missed out on 2 elite players (Tavares+Hedman) aswell as a couple stud 1st liners (Duchene/Kane) and ended up with Schenn. They were on the back of their kids like Brown,Kopitar,Quick,Doughty and Simmonds.

Are they complaining now? Looking at the rebuilds, they're almost identical.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Taylor Hall was always going to be a demoralized shell of a #1 pick

Well consdering he's coming off an 80 point season I think I'll give him some more time before declaring him a demoralized shell of a #1 pick.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm hoping (besides winning McDavid outright via lottery of course):

Our pick - Oliver Kylington or Dylan Strome. Barzal's nice, but represents too much of what we have already. Marner would be okay, but Strome is the best pure goal scorer of the bunch.

NYI and STL's picks - One needs to be another center. Rantanen, Boeser, and White are all good guys, and I like that especially the latter two seem to be more goal scorers than playmakers. (All three are also listed as "C/R's", but someone's going to have to be shifted to the wing anyway eventually. Having a center option a la Ennis would be nice, and would be preferable to taking a lesser player like Roy for positional purity.) If we got Strome with our top pick, I'd want Rantanen, Harkins, or Merkley with our second.

Either way, two of our three 1st rounders should be spent on centers. Always maintained that if we don't get McEichel we should try and tackle the 1C problem via volume. Out of the two we draft, Reinhart, Girgensons, and Grigorenko, we'll extract two top six centers yet. Larsson can be our 3C.

With our high 2nd, draft Ryan Pilon (rather unfortunately name for a dman) or Rasmus Andersson (can never have too many Rasmii on a blueline).

Barzal is pretty much the exact opposite of what we have....except for the high IQ thing.

Barzal's a smallish, speedy, great skater who thinks the game at a high level. Has a great shot AND is a great playmaker. He's gotten Kane comparisons prior to this year. He's an all-offense skilled winger.....who could very well be a 1st line winger.

I think he'd be a perfect fit next to Reinhart.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Well consdering he's coming off an 80 point season I think I'll give him some more time before declaring him a demoralized shell of a #1 pick.

That's fair.

It's still a joke of a position to take. It's understandable as everyone has a stick up their butt over McEichel.

If you think All the guys turning it on under Nolan would be developing at the same rate and on the same trajectory, you're very simply wrong.

Tyler Myers could explain it to you

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Going to use the example again, as I feel it's the best comparison. The 08-09 LA kings missed out on 2 elite players (Tavares+Hedman) aswell as a couple stud 1st liners (Duchene/Kane) and ended up with Schenn. They were on the back of their kids like Brown,Kopitar,Quick,Doughty and Simmonds.

Are they complaining now? Looking at the rebuilds, they're almost identical.

Good comparison. I think we're a year or so behind the 08/09 Kings, but the parallels are there.

They had their high-end defenseman and were breaking in their better scoring weapons.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If you think All the guys turning it on under Nolan would be developing at the same rate and on the same trajectory, you're very simply wrong.

I shudder to think where Risto and Zads would be under Rolston.

Myers showed signs of turning it on under RonRol, though not to this extent.....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I shudder to think where Risto and Zads would be under Rolston.

Myers showed signs of turning it on under RonRol, though not to this extent.....

Yea, with Myers I was making a ruff reference. ruff tried to mold him, it was a huge mistake.

Like I said.... Nolan is sowing the seeds of a future contender. Not all the pieces are here, but the ones that are, ARE benefitting... And we will reap the rewards of it.

There are positives, if you take off the mcgoggles

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That's fair.

It's still a joke of a position to take. It's understandable as everyone has a stick up their butt over McEichel.

Tyler Myers could explain it to you

That's not what I'm suggesting at all.

MacKinnon is still going to be great and be who he always was going to be even tho he's struggling now. Struggles don't hurt kids.

Struggles will probably take it's toll on players like Hall after 5 years of the same ********.

ZeroPT*

Good comparison. I think we're a year or so behind the 08/09 Kings, but the parallels are there.

They had their high-end defenseman and were breaking in their better scoring weapons.

To go one step further.. If we compare the timelines they're similar.

The kings Rebuild started in 2007 at the draft. Looking at the picks
#4-Hickey
#2-Doughty
#5-BSchenn
And now us..

#8-Ristolainen
#2-Reinhart
2015-?????

Before the rebuild the Kings had a few solid youngsters like Kopitar,Brown,Simmonds,etc.. And before the sabres rebuild they had Myers,Ennis,Grigs+Girgs,Armia,etc..

They drafted primarily with D-men, including 4 picks in the top 60 of two drafts being D-men. (Hickey,Doughty,Teubert and Voynov) in addition to Jack Johnson who they had before. And Buffalo? Myers=JJ (better, obviously) and then the 4 drafted D-men: Risto,Zads,Pysyk and McCabe.

It's pretty similar.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
To go one step further.. If we compare the timelines they're similar.

The kings Rebuild started in 2007 at the draft. Looking at the picks
#4-Hickey
#2-Doughty
#5-BSchenn
And now us..

#8-Ristolainen
#2-Reinhart
2015-?????

Before the rebuild the Kings had a few solid youngsters like Kopitar,Brown,Simmonds,etc.. And before the sabres rebuild they had Myers,Ennis,Grigs+Girgs,Armia,etc..

They drafted primarily with D-men, including 4 picks in the top 60 of two drafts being D-men. (Hickey,Doughty,Teubert and Voynov) in addition to Jack Johnson who they had before. And Buffalo? Myers=JJ (better, obviously) and then the 4 drafted D-men: Risto,Zads,Pysyk and McCabe.

It's pretty similar.

...........I had no idea it was THIS similar. Goodness, it really does strike me as a similar type rebuild.

Wow.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's not what I'm suggesting at all.

MacKinnon is still going to be great and be who he always was going to be even tho he's struggling now. Struggles don't hurt kids.

Struggles will probably take it's toll on players like Hall after 5 years of the same ********.

And the Sabres aren't made up of #1 overall/sure thing prospects.

They are young Players at different stages of development. Their development and the long term impact, IS relevant to the future goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad