GDT: #3 Home Opener - A Tribute to Johnny Gaudreau - Florida @ Columbus - 8/15 @ 7 PM EST

MAHJ71

Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've often quibbled with folks when they uphold faceoffs as super important, when a guy is at 52% instead of say, 48%. That doesn't amount to many faceoff wins and has no discernable effect on possession stats. But when a guy wins 20 of 26 that's huge. It plays a big role in carrying the play. Kuraly also won 4 of 5.
It was funny to me because someone posted during the game about faceoffs being an issue, and around that same time they showed the stats on the Jumbotron, CBJ was winning 60-40%. Ended up 57-43% in favor of CBJ.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
some observations through the first few games:

the good
  • werenski looks unreal, and kent johnson is playing (and being utilized like) a star-level forward. love to see it.
  • monahan is awesome. looks like a complete, well-rounded player with poise and smarts. his game works so well with the two other russians.
  • sillinger also looks to have taken a massive step – playing with more jam, confidence and pace.
  • maybe it's just the werenski effect but provorov looks a lot better and more comfortable this year.
  • really liking zach aston-reese's game so far, too. he's clearly the best forward on the fourth line, and is the best suited for that role as well. hope he sticks around.
  • dean evason is the right guy for the job.

the bad
  • elvis, woof. three awful goals last night, put himself in bad positions trying to play the puck multiple times, took himself out of the play a few other times… only 22 SOG for florida, and it could've been worse for him too as fantilli and kj both saved his bacon with shot blocks.
  • not loving kevin lebanc's game so far
  • after two great games, the 2-78 pair was… not good last night.

one more note on the goalies – i don't think tarasov is the guy either. at this point they'd be better off getting someone like husso and just carrying three goalies, especially if guddy is going to be out long-term (since they're curently carrying 8 defensemen)

I'm not sure what happens with our goalies. But I'll say that I watch a good number of games around the league and I've seen a lot of goalie performances so far this year that are much worse than anything Elvis did last night. He wasn't good and it's happening a lot around the league. It's hard to find a reliable goalie. I can't comment on Husso in particular.

I don't know what to do with JVR and Labanc. They might be functional third wheels on a line with two good players. Right now we're asking Fantilli to carry two third wheels. I'm not sure they're even good third wheels though, they might not work with anyone.

I agree with you on all your comments about the good things. That includes ZAR, I think he's a great fit.

Any thoughts on a Fantilli - Sillinger - KJ line?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't know what to do with JVR and Labanc. They might be functional third wheels on a line with two good players. Right now we're asking Fantilli to carry two third wheels. I'm not sure they're even good third wheels though, they might not work with anyone.
Probably need to flip Pyyhtia and Labanc but does that put them on the wrong wings? There just might not be a solution while we wait for Voronkov. There was always going to be a make-shift-edness to the lineup.

Reactions: EspenK

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not sure what happens with our goalies. But I'll say that I watch a good number of games around the league and I've seen a lot of goalie performances so far this year that are much worse than anything Elvis did last night. He wasn't good and it's happening a lot around the league. It's hard to find a reliable goalie.
WTF Stat Of The Day (pointed out to me by @BigFatCat999 last night as we were watching games): Elvis had the same SV% last night as Jusse Saros.

Yes, really.

Actually, technically at the moment he pointed it out - after the Jackets game but while the Preds game was still ongoing - Elvis actually had a BETTER SV%. Saros just happened to make another save or three afterwards to boost his stats such that they ended up level.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Honestly, I'd be kind of inclined to keep them as is for now and wait for either of Danforth or Voronkov (whichever comes first) to return.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If he gets hurt sure, but I don't understand the hate we got for that signing.
I believe he's had a nagging injury the last few years that really affected his usefulness (he was traded with a first as a cap dump), and I think he got it fixed while in Montreal but the "cap dump" stigma was on him so people didn't think he was no longer a good player, certainly not someone who should've gotten that term and dollar amount. But, he's proving the haters wrong and playing well which is amazing considering the circumstances.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I believe he's had a nagging injury the last few years that really affected his usefulness (he was traded with a first as a cap dump), and I think he got it fixed while in Montreal but the "cap dump" stigma was on him so people didn't think he was no longer a good player, certainly not someone who should've gotten that term and dollar amount. But, he's proving the haters wrong and playing well which is amazing considering the circumstances.
Having seen variants of that kind of "explanation" for players before amount to nothing, I'll readily concede I was among those who doubted the move. So far he's making me look very foolish for it and I hope he continues to do so. :thumbu:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Monahan himself said that he kept trying to come back from injuries too early and never truly gave his body time to fully heal. He did that right before Montreal and it's basically revamped his game.

Reactions: Jovavic

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
WTF Stat Of The Day (pointed out to me by @BigFatCat999 last night as we were watching games): Elvis had the same SV% last night as Jusse Saros.

Yes, really.

Actually, technically at the moment he pointed it out - after the Jackets game but while the Preds game was still ongoing - Elvis actually had a BETTER SV%. Saros just happened to make another save or three afterwards to boost his stats such that they ended up level.
But Saros gets a pass because he's Jusse Saros and Elvis goes back to being a whipping boy this year on a team that will inevitably be terrible even though there are hints at organized play through 3 games.

I'm fully on the approach this year that we just need to play it out for a while and let them be what they will become. Nobody gets any complaints from me for at least a month or 2 if not the whole season. I'm not pretending we are a contender this year. This team needs to learn who they are for themselves once since Jarmo and all aren't around to tell them who they are supposed to be.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I'm not sure what happens with our goalies. But I'll say that I watch a good number of games around the league and I've seen a lot of goalie performances so far this year that are much worse than anything Elvis did last night. He wasn't good and it's happening a lot around the league. It's hard to find a reliable goalie. I can't comment on Husso in particular.
that's fair.

i think there's something to be said for just getting a different goalie in there who is going to be better liked in the room and, even if less physically gifted than elvis, won't play as chaotically. playing elvis more won't magically make him tradeable.

if he's headed for a buyout this summer anyway (imo he is or should be) they don't have much to lose by putting him on waivers, putting him in the AHL (and keeping the cap hit on the books to stay above the floor) and taking on someone else's problem with a clean slate.

coming out of camp, i was a bit surprised that they never tried a jvr - fantilli - johnson line, seeing as jvr and johnson seemed to have good chemistry in pockets during the preseason games. but 1) pyyhtia has earned his spot so far and 2) it seems like deano is content to keep fantilli and johnson apart.

imo lebanc is the main issue with the fantilli line right now, and johnson is carrying the second line, so barring a trade or early voronkov return, there's not much else they can do.
I agree with you on all your comments about the good things. That includes ZAR, I think he's a great fit.

Any thoughts on a Fantilli - Sillinger - KJ line?
that line would be nice, but it would leave the third line without a center, unless you're moving kuraly up. not opposed to that but if they're moving someone up from L4, i think aston-reese would have more to add.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
i think there's something to be said for just getting a different goalie in there who is going to be better liked in the room and, even if less physically gifted than elvis, won't play as chaotically. playing elvis more won't magically make him tradeable.
Evason himself said Elvis was working hard and being a model teammate during training camp and he himself came in with the clean slate approach not worrying about anything that may or may not have happened.

Maybe we as fans need to do the same and let the past be the past. This team and the players on it are getting a fresh start. I think we should let them and not bring out pitchforks in the 3rd game of the season on a team that already has the odds stacked against them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In the first half last year Danforth was one of our best forwards, full stop. If we get that version of him then it's a big upgrade. Certainly putting him on a line with Fantilli would give Fantilli a player that can skate with him.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
But Saros gets a pass because he's Jusse Saros and Elvis goes back to being a whipping boy this year on a team that will inevitably be terrible even though there are hints at organized play through 3 games.

I'm fully on the approach this year that we just need to play it out for a while and let them be what they will become. Nobody gets any complaints from me for at least a month or 2 if not the whole season. I'm not pretending we are a contender this year. This team needs to learn who they are for themselves once since Jarmo and all aren't around to tell them who they are supposed to be.
This is a healthy real-world attitude but I don’t think it works online.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad