Post-Game Talk: #3 ⋅ UTA @ ANA ⋅ 7:00 PM PDT

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Honestly the dangles before his pass to Terry are sticking with me even more. Especially the move where he used his body to fend off Schmaltz from getting to the puck. It's a 3 on 3 situation, sure, but it really shows that when he gets bigger and more experienced handling the puck under defensive pressure, he's gonna be a monster.
You could just tell, even though Leo was behind Schmaltz when Terry forced the turnover, that it was Leo’s puck. There was no way that Schmaltz could stop him, he was just too big and moving too fast.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
PP is going to destroy any chance this team has to compete if it doesnt improve.

That 5 V 3 was abysmal and then they give up a goal on a bad change because all 5 FW's on the ice for the 5 V 3 skated off and the defensemen coming on were slow. Pure coaching nonsense IMO.
Bad line changes were a staple of last year's team. That absolutely has to stop this year.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Most teams use this, even the ones who are good at it. The ones who don't are the teams who have a one-man zone entry (McDavid, MacKinnon, etc.).
Yes, but it is not the skate past the center ice then drop the puck into our own zone while the team sits outside the blue line waiting for that one skater to travel 100ft right into a waiting defense.

The Ducks are marginally better but there was a time, I don't remember who the skaters were (Rackell?), would try to carry the puck in at full speed and it would get broken up.

John

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What Leo did last night and heck even Zegras with that beautiful pass is what I’m hoping for, to get a positive buzz around the league. We likely will miss the playoffs but if we can get some of our kids to really turn heads this year and breakout will be a successful year, imo

With that said, it can’t be one game , they have to build from this, and hopefully start getting the PP going which is critical.

Crazy thing is , they are getting the PP opportunities now. Refs may be confused with the new jerseys lol.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Yes, but it is not the skate past the center ice then drop the puck into our own zone while the team sits outside the blue line waiting for that one skater to travel 100ft right into a waiting defense.

The Ducks are marginally better but there was a time, I don't remember who the skaters were (Rackell?), would try to carry the puck in at full speed and it would get broken up.

John

It is that. Or a reasonable facsimile.

I don't know enough in-depth hockey strategy to be able to explain why that's the current best practice for zone entries. I imagine it has something to do both with speed and with the current best practices for defensive alignment in the neutral zone. But many, many teams do the same thing the Ducks are doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad