Prospect Info: 25th Pick in the 2024 NHL Draft - Dean Letourneau C | St. Andrew's College 6'7" 214

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bob Wetick is becoming a big asset in the Bruins scouting department. He pounded the table for Matt Poitras and Jackson Edward.

He saw a lot of Letourneau and Beaudoin as the Ontario scout. I'm not sure which way he was leaning but he liked both. Sweeney going to see both of them probably sealed the deal.
I think Utah definitely expected the Bruins were taking Beaudoin

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
lol we agree we don't want him getting any taller, RIGHT?

Like 6'9 can't possibly benefit his game more?

Watching those two youtube videos, my goodness. He already seems to have a big frame (not just tall). He seems to already have a nose for going to the front of the net too. But what shocked me was some of the times he turned up north/south, and the soft hands.

His crossover stride is very fluid for someone that tall which really helps his passing and stick handling ability and to a lesser degree requires less exertion in effort.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Bob Wetick is becoming a big asset in the Bruins scouting department. He pounded the table for Matt Poitras and Jackson Edward.

He saw a lot of Letourneau and Beaudoin as the Ontario scout. I'm not sure which way he was leaning but he liked both. Sweeney going to see both of them probably sealed the deal.
Hey Dom.....you gave us a lot of info, but would like your personal take....thanks

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If this kid was going to Niagara or Bentley directly from HS, Sweeney would deserve multiple beatings with an ugly stick. Given BC was willing to bring him in this year tells me they look at him as if he is coming out with the skill of a kid from USHL, USNTDP
or Shattuck. Greentree at #25 or trading him for say #35 plus a 3rd are reasonable
arguments to make but you can't crucify anyone for taking him at #25.
I agree; I found 2 box scores versus Shattuck. He scored 5 goals in 2 games, showing he had no problem at that level.

gamesheetstats.com/seasons/4162/games/1496339

gamesheetstats.com/seasons/4162/games/1496340

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

ah, Ottawa Valley boy, nice, kid will be a long term project but could be a doozy of a good one if he hits

We just drafted Goliath
gotta get a pic of him and Marchand side by side

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I agree; I found 2 box scores versus Shattuck. He scored 5 goals in 2 games, showing he had no problem at that level.

gamesheetstats.com/seasons/4162/games/1496339

gamesheetstats.com/seasons/4162/games/1496340

I saw some of those too, dude is all over the score sheet against teams that are the real deal.

I love the pick. I think the scouting department has done a great job these last few drafts at swinging for the fences, and going for pure upside despite weird circumstances. Lysell was a super high talent with weird production during his draft year, Mason Lohrei was an overager, Poitras (safest pick out of the 4) was a 2nd round who showed he can actually play in the NHL his first year, and now Letourneau who has tons of great aspects but played in a worse league. Going for high upside guys instead of safer NHL bets (John Beecher cough cough) is the way to really find blue chips

In terms of him being a project, it sounds like he’s only going to do one year (via that interview he did) and then go pro. At that point we are probably looking at one year in the A. Not a super long timeline IMO.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
He’s a ginger to boot! Read somewhere where a scout said that he wouldn’t be surprised if Dean did 1 and out at BC due to his size.

Reactions: BMC

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
The only thing I don’t like is that most people like the pick. We have had luck when people don’t like the pick and we were all wrong.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
My preference was to trade the pick or take a player who would turn pro earlier.

It's an interesting contrast. One of them is on a pretty well understood path, has a pretty strong statistical case for why he'll at least be an OK pro at some level, but also has an eye test case for why his ceiling could be limited (footspeed, lack of separation). His range is probably between James Van Riemsdyk and Michael Dal Colle. The other can only be evaluated based on eye test and tools, and even eye test is limited to a degree. Is his potential greater or do we just have less ability to measure it? I don't know.

I'm concerned that Letourneau is a longer term project and they're going to have a gap in the system but that doesn't have anything to do with the player.
Quite interesting POV. Boston pick seems to be a long term project and would love to put in perspective with Boston timeline plan to be correlated with the pick. I would love to be in that Boston decisional room before the draft, after last year to see how, without going all in on a reconstruction plan, what they have planned for next year, year 3 and/or 5 from now.
First do they have a plan, or adjust to market, players available.

Not only for Boston, but I am always uncertain on how team seem to be built following a real plan (3-5 years) more than on luck.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Think of all the 1st round prospects from over the years, Caron, Colbourne , Vaakanainen, Hamill , Lashoff, Toivoinen, Boyton, Aitken, McLaren, Rybabichikov,Kvartalnov, Johnson, Morrison.

I thought they were all going to be players, little did I know.
Vaak could still be something. Not an elite guy but an NHL player for sure.

Your point stands though. Drafting 18 year old kids will always be a bit of a crap shoot.

But it's like having a fresh scratch ticket. It's exciting to have the potential to win big, it's still satisfying even if it's a small win, but you know deep down that the odds are what you will be worthless.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad