Prospect Info: 25th Pick in the 2024 NHL Draft - Dean Letourneau C | St. Andrew's College 6'7" 214

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
No. Drop the Mitts. I believe Chris Davis runs it and have a couple of different hosts. Chris has asked me a few times this summer to appear on the show, but we haven't found a day that works.

You should follow them on YouTube. It's not always Bruins but they do a fantastic job.
He’s good - likeable, upbeat, good questions

I will. Thanks

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
LeTurning heads at camp!
GSiseL8WkAMPJGE.png

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If he does hit, will be interesting to see if he and Poitras can start hitting early prime before Pasta and the Lindholms fall off. Pasta and McAvoy were not quite there yet in 2019 and in 2023 Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand were on the downswing. Hopefully the stars align better this time.

Reactions: Gordoff

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
He is a project, can't see him making the team for at least 4 years, maybe longer.
It usually takes taller and larger forwards ( unless you are #66) longer to develop.
The biggest challenge he has is to adapt to the speed of the game and improve his skating in all areas. The College game will be much different vs playing high school hockey.
Ceiling would be Tage Thompson, floor is McCarron.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He is a project, can't see him making the team for at least 4 years, maybe longer.
It usually takes taller and larger forwards ( unless you are #66) longer to develop.
The biggest challenge he has is to adapt to the speed of the game and improve his skating in all areas. The College game will be much different vs playing high school hockey.
Especially a big boy playing college hockey, he's going to be a project. Easy to develop habits that work against younger kids at that size, but that won't work once you start playing against grown men.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Floor is Brian Boyle and not McCarron. Further he played a AAA HS level schedule, not a Mass Catholic Conference level schedule.

If he was born in Michigan instead of Ontario, he would have been a top 3C on this years US U-18 squad.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Floor is Brian Boyle and not McCarron. Further he played a AAA HS level schedule, not a Mass Catholic Conference level schedule.

If he was born in Michigan instead of Ontario, he would have been a top 3C on this years US U-18 squad.
I hope you are correct.
I had no idea the DL was good enough to be a top 3C for the US U-18 program.

He played in the PHC ( Prep Hockey Conference / private system) in Ontario ( where I live) so I am well aware of the skill set of the players in that program.
AAA hockey in the GTA ( Greater Toronto Area) is played in the GTHL, which is a very competitive league ( McDavid, Fabbri,HoSang,Bennett...I could go on, all played as 96/97 born kids. This is where the cream de la cream play. They usually graduate to the OHL, then are drafted.
McDavids team ( Marlies) had every player on that team, except one I think , get drafted to the OHL.
You can play high school hockey ( public school system) like Sean Monahan did ( my son went to his school and played on the same team) and play AAA hockey at the same time.

I assume DL took the route he did for the academics that were offered?

He will be in for a huge challenge next year playing with older young men in College and I hope he can transistion seamlessly.
DS hit a homerun with Lohrei, who was a similar size to DL and needed work on this skating.
I hope he can repeat this with DL.
I would have liked to see him play a year in the USHL first, then make the jump to College hockey.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Can’t believe we stole this kid at 25

(Although I’d have taken Liam Greentree who went 26)

Letourneau has higher upside though & C

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Like Lysell he is a either boom or bust prospect but I am ok with the gamble.

I do think there is a wider range of outcomes for Letourneau than there is for Lysell . Like he could go anywhere from first like center, to a Brian Boyle type or a complete bust.

I think Lysell is top 6 scorer or bust, I don't see other possibilities

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
It's weird to think that if this kid has a Bergeron-style career and plays that long, some of the posters on here won't still be alive to see him retire. That's spooky.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
It's weird to think that if this kid has a Bergeron-style career and plays that long, some of the posters on here won't still be alive to see him retire. That's spooky.

Wait? Who is the oldest guy in here? I thought nobody is older than 70. I expect and wish those to get to the age of 90 and being in great health.

Reactions: Trizz617

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Letourneau is quite intriguing, but a gamble. Question is if he's the next Tage Thompson (ceiling), Nick Bjugstad or pre concussion track Krys Kolanos (middle outcome), Brian Boyle (lower middle outcome), or ends up like Joe Hulbig (floor). Will be interesting to follow at BC next season.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Found scouting comments on him

Scout 1

“He’s impressive. He’s obviously a big boy with skill who gets around pretty well. Once he learns how to use his size consistently, there’s something there.”

Scout 2

This kid has the same elite skill as Kevin Hayes and Tage Thompson, but he’s a way better skater. He does things someone 5-foot-7 couldn’t do.

When he puts in it together and he’s 6’7” 245 lbs, look out. He has all the tools. He’s physical, goes to the dirty areas and has a touch around the net. And he’s going to a good program where he won’t have to carry the load.”

Scout 3

Absolute gi-normous center has the best set of raw tools in Ontario. Can skate, shoot and score at will…..smooth stride and very soft hands……but hasn’t exactly wowed us with his effort or uneven physicality throughout the season. Spends more time gliding and puck watching then he should, but can also take over a game whenever he wants to.

His physical gifts are off the charts and the enormous ceiling is tantalizing…..but rawest of raw and a loooong way to go to reach pro level

Tools are all there but mentally soft

Comp is PL Dubois

Scout 4

Letourneau is a smart player in any situation and knows how to create his own shot….makes smart reads in the neutral zone…steals pucks & transitions to the attack without ideal conditions ~ good stick, puck protection, footwork, aware without puck

Although he wasn’t nearly as physical as expected in his two-game USHL sample, Letourneau isn’t afraid of getting involved in battles and being the first one in on the forecheck

My comments

I’ve watched film & saw 3 DC camp days and my comp is Peter McNab who was a favorite and one of alltime underrated Bruins

When you are 6’7 against 5’7 when your game to begin with is skill you aren’t out to kill

The Sharks in the Aquarium in Boston aren’t exactly starting shit with the other fish

He’s academically I’ve read very strong so he’s not some vapid stoner

And most importantly the one who trashed him was not a fan of Lohrei and admitted missed on that so there is precedence

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, not sure how many folks get wrapped up in the Prospects board, but I made a post over there on Letourneau mostly for this video where I talk about the concepts that he needs to incorporate into his game to reach his - in my opinion - pretty massive upside.

If it's of interest, mind you, it's not a highlight reel - I'm sure there's plenty of those out there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad