Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This feels like we're going backwards.

Zacka-Lindholm-Pasta has been outchanced 16 to 27.
Marchand-Lindholm-Pasta is 13 chances for and 12 against in less time.

I also had hoped to leave Poitras at center at the start of the season but right now they’re desperate and all bets are off until they start to find some lines that work.
It really doesn’t matter. Until they can get the big guys get their shit together the lines are pretty much irrelevant right now.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Or until they find a coach that can adapt his style to the players he has instead of what he wishes he had.
Agree- It feels like there is a major dis-connect between the type of team the GM built over the summer and how the coach wants the team to play

The result is a team that lacks an identity...add in what seems to be a glaring lack of d-zone structure and a power play that has no sense of purpose and the current record is actually a little better than the eye test would suggest

Which makes Saturday night's game a very big test for the team and especially for the coach.

We shall see

Reactions: Dr Hook

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Mac is disappointing but there is no way to trade for a better D man it's just not happening. He can turn it around. I just can't believe we put up with the same shit from Carlo as the other expensive RD.

McAvoy if he did get traded would overnight get motivated and become possessed and win a Norris. Think Joe Thornton the guy the sharks got never would have played at that MVP level for us.

Trade protections are gone and someone will take him.

Try and find another Koepke or Kastelic for him and get the cap space. It's pathetic Sweeney is literally too big of a p***y to trade any of these guys. Even DeBrusk he didn't have the balls to move.

You mentioned both Coyle and McAvoy ... McAvoy is not the only defensmen not playing as they should. And Coyle they keep trying to make him into something he is not. And with many of these other players it is like they are square pegs being forced into round holes.

It is obvious McAvoy's development has been stunted and Coyle's greatest effectiveness is not being properly used.

Just my opinion, but from what I have seen in this year's team play combined the disturbing trends in team play over past couple of years lead me to believe much of the problem lies in the SYSTEM and the usage of the players.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You mentioned both Coyle and McAvoy ... McAvoy is not the only defensmen not playing as they should. And Coyle they keep trying to make him into something he is not. And with many of these other players it is like they are square pegs being forced into round holes.

It is obvious McAvoy's development has been stunted and Coyle's greatest effectiveness is not being properly used.

Just my opinion, but from what I have seen in this year's team play combined the disturbing trends in team play over past couple of years lead me to believe much of the problem lies in the SYSTEM and the usage of the players.

Two seasons ago this team had the best regular season ever.

What exactly was the disturbing trend in team play that you saw?

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Agree- It feels like there is a major dis-connect between the type of team the GM built over the summer and how the coach wants the team to play

The result is a team that lacks an identity...add in what seems to be a glaring lack of d-zone structure and a power play that has no sense of purpose and the current record is actually a little better than the eye test would suggest

Which makes Saturday night's game a very big test for the team and especially for the coach.

We shall see
Watching the games and how the players are playing this year reminds me of a pick up flag football game where whoever the quarterback is tells his receivers - just go out and get open and I'll hit you with a pass. Nobody knows who is doing what and there is a lot of confusion. Which results in people getting frustrated until someone takes control and gives them directions, a place and purpose.

Montgomery (or whomever the coach will be) will have to adapt his system to the strengths of the players on the roster.

Last edited:

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I like the idea of

Marchand-Lindholm-Coyle
Zacha-Poitras-Pastrnak

That first line can be a great shut down line with good offensive potential. 2nd line Pasta and Potsy seem to have some good chemistry

Reactions: Blowfish

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Didnt get why people were so excited about the season or signings. Team didnt get that much better and no prospects have stepped up.

Got worse in goal with Korp as well
I get excited about every season. I liked that we have a team that won’t be pushed around. (Although Monty is ok with being soft)

You’re right though. Our prospects are nonexistent. Our goaltending is weak. I hate to be the one to say it, Poitras looks kind of bustish.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Yamamoto looked good against the bruins?? No?​

During camp/preseason I was pretty adamant that I wanted Poitras to stay at C and to let him develop at his natural position, but at this point may as well see if he can give the 2nd line a boost. Maybe having a kid on their line will force Marchand and Coyle to simplify their games and stop playing like dickheads.

Also if Poitras can stick there it opens up a spot on the third line for Johnson or Lysell.

This could be a good line but Poitras skating worries the heck out of me. He has everything else going for him. I hope it doesn't hold him back from being a great player.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
This feels like we're going backwards.

Zacka-Lindholm-Pasta has been outchanced 16 to 27.
Marchand-Lindholm-Pasta is 13 chances for and 12 against in less time.

I also had hoped to leave Poitras at center at the start of the season but right now they’re desperate and all bets are off until they start to find some lines that work.
Just shows how bereft of talent they are in the AHL. Have to try Lysell at some point soon IMO

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

When 11:30 rolled around Friday morning and the only skaters on the Warrior Arena sheet were Bruins coaches, the prevailing thought was that someone had called a “players only” meeting to address the team’s three-game skid.

“No, we just had a lot of stuff to do,” said captain Brad Marchand, who would be in the best position to call such a gathering.

Marchand explained that the Bruins had to squeeze in an off-ice workout, a video session, and a meeting with NHL security, necessitating the brief delay.

What followed was the liveliest and most physical practice since training camp as the Bruins try to work their way out of their doldrums.

“I thought we had a really good practice today,” said Marchand. “Our biggest thing right now is our details, and we really kind of focused on that today, trying to be smart, the way that we play with the puck and how we work.

“So we did a really good job at that today. Really good tempo of practice. Guys were focused and sharp. So it was a good day, but it’s one day and we’ve got to build on that and be better each day and we need that consistency though.”

While it’s common for veterans to be given maintenance days when there is a day off between games, Marchand said it was important for everyone to be present and accounted for Friday.

“When things aren’t going the way you want them to, the only way to get out of it is to work, and you need to do it together as a group,” he said. “When you’re missing guys, sometimes it’s a little bit tougher to have the chemistry you need and to have everyone going through it together.

“When you go through adversity, you want to go through it as a group and come out of it as a group. So it is great to be out there and working through it as a team, and it’s how you bond when you go through tough times. That’s when the character comes out of your group, and we’re seeing it right now.

“Guys have energy today; I like their attitude. But again, it’s about doing it every day, not just one day. So, something to build on.”

The session was very vocal, and Marchand said that was a point of emphasis.

“It’s something we’ve been talking about for a little while now,” he said. “The more you can communicate on breakouts on forechecks, the easier you’re going to make it for each other. And part of having a lot of new guys two years in a row is building that chemistry again and again. The more you talk, the easier it is.

“So it’s definitely something we’ve talked about, not just today but previous days.”

Portions of practice were run in a scrimmage-like manner, with players going full speed with plenty of physicality. While the risk of injury is always there, Marchand said it’s necessary.

“The way you hurt teammates is when they’re not ready for it,” said Marchand. “So it’s part of your job to be prepared that when you go into practice, we’re not lollygagging through it. We are going to compete and we’re going to be physical and we’re going to play hard, and you’ve got to be ready to be hit and you got to be ready to get hit.

“I think it is as much an onus on the player that’s getting hit as it is the guy that’s giving it to be cautious. You’re not trying to go through guys’ heads and knees and stuff like that, but part of playing detailed and playing our game is to be physical, and it starts from practice.

“If you’re not ready to be hit, then you’re not prepared for practice.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

“It’s the penalties,” Andrew Raycroft said to his buddies, as they diagnosed the Bruins’ issues. “This has been the theme the last 10 days for this group.”

Patrice Bergeron saw it, too. Easy game to analyze from the couch, he reasoned, but the penalties are becoming poison.

“Because five on five,” he said, “it’s been …”
“It’s been close,” Raycroft said. “But another hook and another interference and you’re chasing the game.”

The thought hung in the air for a good 20 seconds.

No one — not Bergeron, Raycroft, Tuukka Rask, or Adam McQuaid, all ex-Bruins brought together on a NESN set to provide commentary during Thursday’s game against the Stars — wanted to belabor the point. In the second period, the Bruins had already given up two power-play goals. They were about to surrender a third.

One failed offensive sequence later, David Pastrnak skate-tripped Dallas’s Matt Dumba, his second minor in three shifts. Bergeron rubbed his temples. Then the Stars’ Tyler Seguin ripped a shot under the crossbar for a three-goal lead.

There was no need for an alumni alt-cast to figure out what has been hurting this year’s team the most.

The Bruins have been shorthanded a league-high 40 times in eight games. They have committed nine more minors (44) than second-worst San Jose, adding five to the total Thursday (and killing two of them). If their penalty kill were running hotter than 77.5 percent (19th in the league), it might not sting as much.

But their mental mistakes and poor positioning are overworking the PK troops. The Bruins’ lack of discipline — not new faces adjusting, or carryover effects from key players missing time in training camp — is their biggest problem.

It extends their time in the defensive zone, where their focus wanes, they tire, and they fail to break out. It stunts their chances on the attack, when they lose a puck battle and get caught hooking the other way. Thankfully for Pastrnak, who does not kill penalties, the Bruins have drawn enough calls to keep his minutes healthy (average time on ice: 19:18).

Two and a half weeks into the season, it feels like an exacerbation of last year’s playoffs, when the Bruins set an NHL record for too-many-men-on-the-ice penalties in a single postseason (seven, in 13 games).

The Bruins have been one of the NHL’s most penalized teams in recent years, ranking no lower than sixth in PK time the last five seasons under coaches Jim Montgomery and Bruce Cassidy. They often leaned on elite goaltending to cover for mistakes, but this year they rank T-24th in goals-against average (3.58) and 19th in save percentage (.884).

While they haven’t had a bench minor this year, they are second in the league in major penalties (four, all for fighting). Half of those came in games against Florida. While they were shorthanded 11 times in those two games — and killed 10 — this hasn’t been an issue of settling a score against a rival.

“Our penalties have come when we’re not aggressive,” Montgomery said Thursday morning. “When you’re playing aggressive and you’re on your toes, you’re causing turnovers, and if you’re taking penalties, they’re from aggression.

“You don’t mind penalties from aggression. You don’t like penalties when they’re because you’re a second late and it’s a stick infraction. Those are the ones that really bother you.”

Sure, the Bruins have been playing hard, but there’s little flow to their game. How could there be when they’re constantly heading to the box?

Many have been deflating.

The Bruins were never in the season opener at Florida, but in the rematch six days later, they fell behind on a second-period PPG — a result of Charlie McAvoy’s cross-check on Carter Verhaeghe, a likely response to an uncalled hit on Pastrnak. The latter’s slash on Verhaeghe, late in the third period, ended their comeback hopes.

Brad Marchand’s retaliation penalty early in the third period against Dallas came when the Bruins were already chasing the score.

Many penalties have been committed by the Bruins’ best players.

The Bruins woke up Friday outside of the postseason picture. They held a playoff spot wire-to-wire in each of the last two seasons. On NESN’s “Unobstructed Views,” Bergeron, Rask, and Raycroft agreed that the Bruins shouldn’t be concerned unless they’re still out of position come Thanksgiving.

A group this proud doesn’t want to play catch-up all season.

“It’s of our own doing,” said Marchand. “Which is a good thing, I guess, because we can rectify it.”

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
If you are going to take penalties make them aggressive penalties, not holding, tripping, hooking. Lazy penalties by being out of posistion or getting out worked or just playing dumb need to be stopped.

The team needs a lot of work but it should start with Monty going and Sacco with him.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
So they traded in the Too Many Men penalties that plagued them last year in exchange for every other type of penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad