Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Zacha- Lindholm- Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Johnson
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie
Beecher - Kastelic- Jones
Letteri

Gotta be in Monty mind as he drifts off to sleep

Reactions: Dizzay

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
so obviously I still want Lysell to go and claim that 2RW spot, and lots of camp left to do it. But last night was a bad start to that so it got me thinking.

If Lysell doesn't make the team I think it's pretty much has to be Freddy in at 2RW, Marchand-Coyle-Johnson/Geekie just can't be the 2nd line of a team trying to compete. With Fred you know he can produce at 5v5, he has good chemistry with Coyle, and he gives you plus defense. Give him consistent time in the top 6 and PP time and he probably pots you around 20-25 goals.

Then for the third line, you have x-Poitras-Geekie. Not sure who the third guy would be, maybe Johnson if he looks like he still has something left in the tank. His 2-way metrics have been in the gutter for a while now, and he's undersized, so he's not exactly a natural fit next to Poitras IMO. But I think that line ends up getting pretty sheltered deployment anyway, so maybe that doesn't matter a huge amount and he could be a good vet presence on that line. I'd prefer someone with more size and defensive awareness to help protect Poitras a bit, just not sure who that guy would be.

I'm reasonably certain the 4th line is gonna be Jones-Beecher-Kastelic. Big, fast checking line that will win faceoffs and cause mayhem. Gotta keep Beecher down the middle though, his skating and defensive presence makes that line much more effective then it would be with Kastelic at center.

So a full lineup of:

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Frederic
Johnson(?)-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Beecher-Kastelic

Nothing earth shattering, but both top 6 lines would be defensively responsible and could hopefully produce reasonably well. If Poitras picks up where he left off pre-injury and the chemistry with Geekie is still there then the third line could be effective offensively, and then the 4th line could be impactful and create some anxiety for opposing defenses when they have to retrieve pucks. Will probably need to try and pick up a scorer at the deadline, but that's business as usual for the bruins.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
You spelled Brazeau wrong.

Another option they may be considering...
Marchand - Coyle - Poitras
Jones - Frederic - Geekie
Beecher - Kastelic- Brazeau
I agree.....I would hate it if Brazeau didn't earn a spot after last season. I love what he brings but he still has to earn it. Lot of options this season and a lot of size.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I hope he can't. Nothing against the player. I just want the others to show up well enough to not have a place for him.
to me I think winning jobs in camp is not something I would base everything on. I have a 21 year old skilled top 6 RW in my system that has looked pretty good in the A. I'm not basing my roster on a 3-4 games with half of each roster filled with scrubs., Give Lysell 10 big league games on a line with 63 and 13 and 2nd unit PP and go from there. If TJ wants to lurk like heinen did then so be it, use him as a fall back if you need to.

so obviously I still want Lysell to go and claim that 2RW spot, and lots of camp left to do it. But last night was a bad start to that so it got me thinking.

If Lysell doesn't make the team I think it's pretty much has to be Freddy in at 2RW, Marchand-Coyle-Johnson/Geekie just can't be the 2nd line of a team trying to compete. With Fred you know he can produce at 5v5, he has good chemistry with Coyle, and he gives you plus defense. Give him consistent time in the top 6 and PP time and he probably pots you around 20-25 goals.

Then for the third line, you have x-Poitras-Geekie. Not sure who the third guy would be, maybe Johnson if he looks like he still has something left in the tank. His 2-way metrics have been in the gutter for a while now, and he's undersized, so he's not exactly a natural fit next to Poitras IMO. But I think that line ends up getting pretty sheltered deployment anyway, so maybe that doesn't matter a huge amount and he could be a good vet presence on that line. I'd prefer someone with more size and defensive awareness to help protect Poitras a bit, just not sure who that guy would be.

I'm reasonably certain the 4th line is gonna be Jones-Beecher-Kastelic. Big, fast checking line that will win faceoffs and cause mayhem. Gotta keep Beecher down the middle though, his skating and defensive presence makes that line much more effective then it would be with Kastelic at center.

So a full lineup of:

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Frederic
Johnson(?)-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Beecher-Kastelic

Nothing earth shattering, but both top 6 lines would be defensively responsible and could hopefully produce reasonably well. If Poitras picks up where he left off pre-injury and the chemistry with Geekie is still there then the third line could be effective offensively, and then the 4th line could be impactful and create some anxiety for opposing defenses when they have to retrieve pucks. Will probably need to try and pick up a scorer at the deadline, but that's business as usual for the bruins.
I like the top line
63-13-21
11-51-39
19-47-55
Jones

Reactions: DKH and Dr Hook

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
to me I think winning jobs in camp is not something I would base everything on. I have a 21 year old skilled top 6 RW in my system that has looked pretty good in the A. I'm not basing my roster on a 3-4 games with half of each roster filled with scrubs., Give Lysell 10 big league games on a line with 63 and 13 and 2nd unit PP and go from there. If TJ wants to lurk like heinen did then so be it, use him as a fall back if you need to.

I like the top line
63-13-21
11-51-39
19-47-55
Jones
I mean I'd also prefer Lysell makes the team, but the whole point of my point was projecting a lineup where that doesn't happen.

Also I just do not see what other people are seeing in Kastelic where you're moving Beecher to the wing for him. I like the forechecking and him starting shit after the whistle is fun, but Beecher's speed and defensive ability at center make that line better.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree.....I would hate it if Brazeau didn't earn a spot after last season. I love what he brings but he still has to earn it. Lot of options this season and a lot of size.

I hope Braz can win a job, I still HATE the idea of Braz on the 4th line. Just a terrible fit for what they want from that line , and does nothing to take advantage of what he does well

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This. Fabian did not look good yesterday, but it's one pre-season game and not (as you pointed out) a roster loaded with NHL talent. I feel pretty confident the Bruins aren't writing him off based on that performance either.

Reactions: dugg133 and JCRO

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Poitras to RW sounds almost inevitable. I just don't see how anyone is going to outplay/outwork him in camp. Lysell would have to dramatically improve his pace, assertiveness and even then, I see Poitras just getting better and better.

Zacha - Lindholm - Pastrnak
Frederic - Geekie - Brazeau
Jones - Beecher - Kastelik
Johnson

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Poitras to RW sounds almost inevitable. I just don't see how anyone is going to outplay/outwork him in camp. Lysell would have to dramatically improve his pace, assertiveness and even then, I see Poitras just getting better and better.

Johnson
I think it'd be a mistake to move Poitras to 2RW. He's a playmaking center and you're gonna move him to the wing on a line with two other puck dominant guys? Makes no sense to me. Leave him at 3C and let him develop there.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I hope Braz can win a job, I still HATE the idea of Braz on the 4th line. Just a terrible fit for what they want from that line , and does nothing to take advantage of what he does well
I'm not opposed to a 10 game tryout on the second line. I may be in the minority there, but love him in front off the net and think he could be a fit. He is not as fast but I think he could pot the same 20 goals or so Debrusk would have.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm not opposed to a 10 game tryout on the second line. I may be in the minority there, but love him in front off the net and think he could be a fit. He is not as fast but I think he could pot the same 20 goals or so Debrusk would have.
I`m not sure how Brazz would play vs opponents better D pairings but also willing to see. Ideally, I want my top 6 to play with pace, not really Brazz`s game but I do think he`d be totally fine in a 3rd line role

Reactions: DaStinger and KOZ37

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Johnson
For me, I want him as a playmaking facilitator. I want him decided where and to whom the puck goes to in the offensive end.

I will say your lines are probably exactly how they are going to turn out and would easily be the betting favorite in Vegas IMO, good job

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You spelled Brazeau wrong.

Another option they may be considering...
Jones - Frederic - Geekie
Beecher - Kastelic- Brazeau
Forgot - he looked very lean on Saturday

Gotta think he plays tomorrow

Again, he’s on my HFL SIM team so I’m Tean Brazeau of course especially to help Bruins win - but a little extra rooting interest

I think it'd be a mistake to move Poitras to 2RW. He's a playmaking center and you're gonna move him to the wing on a line with two other puck dominant guys? Makes no sense to me. Leave him at 3C and let him develop there.
I’m with you ~ curious to see how he would do with Frederic & Geekie both have good shots and get in danger areas regularly

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Monty is already slotting him in at 2RW and has expressed his thoughts on easing him back into the line-up on RW rather than giving him tougher defensive assignments that come with playing C. He will likely land at C at some point, but based on his performance and the lack of effectiveness so far from Lysell (who is also primarily a playmaker), he could fill an important need right now.

Poitras played right wing in his draft year and switched to full-time C the year after. So, I am not sure it would be a mistake to give him reps at 2RW...especially if Lysell and others do not claim the 2RW job.

As for him being a playmaker on a line with other playmakers - isn't Lysell also a playmaker?

Reactions: zaYG

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Forgot - he looked very lean on Saturday

Gotta think he plays tomorrow

Again, he’s on my HFL SIM team so I’m Tean Brazeau of course especially to help Bruins win - but a little extra rooting interest

I’m with you ~ curious to see how he would do with Frederic & Geekie both have good shots and get in danger areas regularly
Didnt Poitras play a few games on a line with those two last season prior to the injury?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Brazeau didn't get a call up until late in the year and did well in the playoffs....and people want to gift him a spot

Sway was the best goalie in the playoffs.....but needs to prove it

Hmmmmm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad